Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Deficits not matter when Republitard is prez, hurr

y to help he
Things have changed. These options aren't always available. Some people refer to the gig economy. There's usually no trade group and this article says it 34% of the economy now.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/24/news/economy/gig-economy-intuit/index.html

I would like to see a national/states pool of prospective self-employed and "gig" labor being created, but I obviously am not in a position to advertise, advocate. or even suggest this approach to our state senators in Congress...much less be taken seriously by either one.

This is mainly for my uninsured spouse, who decided to stick with her ex-employer's BCBS, instead of going on mine when we married...b/c hers covered her twice weekly chiropractic therapy....big-big mistake.

We are most likely to continue business as usual, until or unless enough millions of common folk find themselves and/or their family members shut out of any coverage. I expect that the GOP will once again attempt to repeal and replace the ACA, but perhaps not until '19, after the midterms.

I will try to help my unemployed wife obtain insurance under the ACA next year when I reach full pension age, but until then, she does not qualify for Medicaid, b/c my annual disability income is slightly over the max state level.

Last edited:
I would like to see a national/states pool of prospective self-employed and "gig" labor being created, but I obviously am not in a position to advertise, advocate. or even suggest this approach to our state senators in Congress...much less be taken seriously by either one.

This is mainly for my uninsured spouse, who decided to stick with her ex-employer's BCBS, instead of going on mine when we married...b/c hers covered her twice weekly chiropractic therapy....big-big mistake.

We are most likely to continue business as usual, until or unless enough millions of common folk find themselves and/or their family members shut out of any coverage. I expect that the GOP will once again attempt to repeal and replace the ACA, but perhaps not until '19, after the midterms.

I've been doing some research and I've found that two thirds of Canadians have private insurance, generally group insurance, probably an employer.

This leads me to think that the Canadian public system is shitty enough that if a person can get private insurance, they'll probably get it.

It's always been my contention that biggest gap in our health care system was that a person had to go broke before they could get Medicaid - to me that's not right.

Most people agree.

The Republicans had six years with a majority in Congress under Bush to address the problem of people who didn't have access to insurance because of a pre-existing condition who didn't have the opportunity to go through an open enrollment to get on a group policy, and they didn't do jack shit to fix it (I'm not a Republican at all, in case anybody thought I was).

So it's occurring to me that maybe the best thing to do is throw the ACA out, and just open up Medicaid to people who couldn't get better private insurance, until they had the opportunity to get better insurance than shit Medicaid - which probably most people would as soon as they could. That seems to me to be the way it goes in Canada.

I would think that the more lucrative opportunities exist for being an MD or DO here in the US than in Canada. And of course being reimbursed by private insurers would be faster and involve less "red tape". I wonder how much better or worse medical treatment and service would be, if we were like them, or they like us.

I recall browsing a searchable database several years ago on a website which listed the amount of kickback $$$ from Big Pharma that physicians received for prescribing their drugs....wish that I still had it bookmarked.

Aetna and Blue cross blue shield horizon of New Jersey . If I could rob those companies of all their money for all of the denials they have given me I would. I would not feel bad for all of the lives the they have denied services too. Those administrators who deny coverage have a special place in hell waiting for them .

Last edited:
That particular post was meant to poke fun @ Republicans who claim that free market competition will reduce consumer/subscriber prices/premiums.

As well as shopping across state lines for coverage, since back when I was working for an independent insurance agency, out of about a dozen for-profit health insurers that we represented, half were located out of state....and that was 30 years ago.

My bad. There's me not picking up what you're putting down.

I've been doing some research and I've found that two thirds of Canadians have private insurance, generally group insurance, probably an employer.

This leads me to think that the Canadian public system is shitty enough that if a person can get private insurance, they'll probably get it.

Bingo! What we need is shitty single-payer coverage up to the point we can afford it. Then private insurance can take it from there.

Back