Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Deficits not matter when Republitard is prez, hurr

pretty sad. Of course, we don't know if she would have died even if she took the medicine.

According to the link to article she did take the medicine. It says she herself thought it wasn't worth 116 bucks so her husband picked the medicine up for her. She took it and it didn't help.

There have been a record number of deaths this flu season, especially high percentages among younger healthy people who typically would not have died from the flu.

Apparently the vaccines that have been prepared for this flu season just haven't been very effective.

According to the link to article she did take the medicine. It says she herself thought it wasn't worth 116 bucks so her husband picked the medicine up for her. She took it and it didn't help.

There have been a record number of deaths this flu season, especially high percentages among younger healthy people who typically would not have died from the flu.

Apparently the vaccines that have been prepared for this flu season just haven't been very effective.

Whether or not the medicine could have helped depends on how long the delay was. Point I'm trying to make isn't all on one side or the other, between what a teacher gets paid and what a teacher still gets charged even with insurance, this one thought the medicine was too expensive in the middle of an especially deadly flu season.

Whether or not the medicine could have helped depends on how long the delay was. Point I'm trying to make isn't all on one side or the other, between what a teacher gets paid and what a teacher still gets charged even with insurance, this one thought the medicine was too expensive in the middle of an especially deadly flu season.

Of course it isn't all one side or the other side.

"She wouldn't go get medicine because she's a mama. Mama's are tough. She just kept going. She had a job; she had kids," Holland's pastor Clark Bosher told Fox 4. "I think any mom does that. I don't think she is being irresponsible. I don't think she thought she was that sick. It happened so quick."

Teachers typically have pretty good private group insurance - $116 bucks copay sounds a little high to me.

In single payer countries, patients also do incur some out of pocket costs:

Canada's single-payer system is mostly run by provincial and territorial governments, but is funded heavily by the federal government. The federal government also sets baselines of standards for care at the provincial level.

Each province sets its own ambulance fees, reimbursement rates for doctors, and other system fees. Most of the costs are covered by the government or supplemental private insurance, but out-of-pocket spending accounted for 14% of all healthcare spending in 2014 (a bit higher than the 11% in the US).

The fight over healthcare is leading some to consider something radical

EDIT: We don't know that 'Whether or not the medicine could have helped depends on how long the delay was.' She could have started on it right away, and there could have been the same outcome. Also - this lady didn't die because of lack of access to insurance - she had insurance. We don't know that in a "single payer system" this medication would have even available, or that there wouldn't have been some amount of co-pay for it.

Last edited:
But didn't that all happen with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat Administration?

According to some posters on this board it's the GOP that rewards bloodthirsty rich corporations on the backs of the middle and lower middle class.

What am I missing here?

I think, that had he been elected, Romney was the best bet for doing anything productive about healthcare. He could have passed something more liberal than Obama without the resistance.

I think, that had he been elected, Romney was the best bet for doing anything productive about healthcare. He could have passed something more liberal than Obama without the resistance.

Well, the ACA had already been passed a few years before Romney was nominated.

Obviously no one knows what would have happened if Romney had been elected.

Well, the ACA had already been passed a few years before Romney was nominated.

Obviously no one knows what would have happened if Romney had been elected.

It was passed, but I don't think the website launched until after Obama's 2nd election.

The exchanges opened for enrollment late 2013 for 2014 coverage.

Look under the "Actual Events That Occurred As A Result of the Affordable Care Act ? 2011 to 2014" section.Not much happened before 2012, and a 1 year delay was added in 2013.

June 23, 2010:
?Access to the federal high-risk pool for the uninsured with pre-existing conditions:There are $5 billion allocated for individuals who cannot qualify for insurance. These funds allow them to buy insurance from the government; but, this coverage is not free.

July 1, 2010: ?Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP): This program is designed to make health insurance available to those that have been denied coverage by private insurance companies because of a pre-existing condition.1 Forbes Report: Obamacare?s High-Risk Pool Spending Doubles Government Estimates

This was the gap in the United States health care system that had needed to be addressed for a long time (poor people could already get health care through Medicaid for decades before the ACA).

Did the ACA fix this? I don't know.

It sure seemed to me to have "fixed" a lot of shit that wasn't broke...

Would a more comprehensive UK/Canadian type of single payer system make things significantly better, or significantly worse, than the already quasi single payer system we already have anyway?

I don't know.

Everyone should be entitled to free top notch healthcare. Why stop there? Everyone should be able to go to any college of their choice...free of charge. We need a better retirement system too. Everybody gets to retire at age 60 with full benefits including an annual income of at least $50K. :cheers:

Just stop it.. you use don't get it and never will. Did I say free ?

But didn't that all happen with a Democrat Congress and a Democrat Administration?

According to some posters on this board it's the GOP that rewards bloodthirsty rich corporations on the backs of the middle and lower middle class.

What am I missing here?

Obama only had control for 4 to 6 months not 2 years like everyone claims and it was stalled at every turn by every tactic possible by the gop. Plus Obama was a puss and didn't push for all out medicare for all.

no, you don't get it.

Sorry but the right is clueless on this .
National health care will be in America by 2030 to 2040 if not sooner and it will not be free so just stop. Like always the gop is on the wrong side of history and just does not give a shit about people .. But what's new the gop is a fear based party .

Last edited:
where are you getting this information?

Why have I freaked you out ? I know you guys on the right hate it when poor people get something. Look at all my posts about national healthcare snd see if you can. Figure it out TD. Lol..

Netflix released a series called The Naked Truth. Episode 1, Death by Fentanyl. Eye opening. I didn't even know what fentanyl was, and if that's on purpose, the obstacles between us and a more reasonable healthcare system are scary. Campaign finance reform is like gun control, too ingrained to envision making a difference by any set of small steps.

Thanks GB..
Series looks really good can't wait to watch it.

Why have I freaked you out ? I know you guys on the right hate it when poor people get something. Look at all my posts about national healthcare snd see if you can. Figure it out TD. Lol..

I'm not freaked out. You are claiming that there will be national healthcare by 2030 or sooner...I am just curious where you are getting your information. I know Mother Jones is one of your favorite sites. Maybe that's where you are getting it.

Back