Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stephen Hawking Gives us 100 years

Well, that is based on the arrogant assumption that this species is worth saving.

To quote uncle George;
George Carlin said:
We're going away. Pack your shit, folks. We're going away. And we won't leave much of a trace, either. Maybe a little Styrofoam … The planet'll be here and we'll be long gone. Just another failed mutation. Just another closed-end biological mistake. An evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet'll shake us off like a bad case of fleas. The planet will be here for a long, long, LONG time after we're gone

he said 1000 years previously, but he shortened his time frame to 100 now.

he said 1000 years previously, but he shortened his time frame to 100 now.

Yeah. I remember that .. I am looking to see if I have that BBC tv Channel on my cable package but am not having much luck finding it.

humanity appears to be doomed to bungle its way through boom and bust cycles, and periods of extreme violence and depravity when resources get over-taxed, and the strong go to scapegoat and prey on the weak.

the sort of mentality that leads to bashing immigrants, or any others, and provoke violence, etc. all throughout history (the zeigest Trump uncovered is the latest manifestation of it) it's all just too much for mankind to overcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
humanity appears to be doomed to bungle its way through boom and bust cycles, and periods of extreme violence and depravity when resources get over-taxed, and the strong go to scapegoat and prey on the weak.

the sort of mentality that leads to bashing immigrants, or any others, and provoke violence, etc. all throughout history (the zeigest Trump uncovered is the latest manifestation of it) it's all just too much for mankind to overcome.

I don't recall a single period in recorded history when there wasn't 'extreme' violence.

Last edited:
there's always some violence, but look at the Pax Romana, Europe in the 19th century after the Napoleonic Wars, Europe since WWII. India and China have 1 billion plus people living more or less peacefully since the 1950s. other than a couple minor wars.

The breakup of India into India and Pakistan following the departure of the British led to forced migrants based on religious divides. This led to millions of people migrating depending on the newly drawn-up borders and the countless massacres and people simply 'dissapearing' during that time of chaos.

India also played in a role in Bangladesh separating from Pakistan in the 1970s. While the military involvement between India and Pakistan was limited, millions of civilians were massacred in East Pakistan and even more millions of refugees flooded into India.

The major reason why conflicts between India and Pakistan are so minor is because of the mountanious terrain. Mountanious terrain is the most difficult to take and easiest to hold due to extremely limited mobility.

Truman cutting off support to Chang-Kai-Shek did grant the Communist supreme victory over the Nationalists, I'll give you that. However, the Chinese did takepart in the Korean war following MacArthur's forces crossing the Chinese border. Also China was upset that Taiwan held the permanant Chinese seat on the UN's security council.

At the end of the decade China suffered the great famine due to forced overseeding of crops. The deathtolls were in the tens of millions.

Combined India/China population is around 2.4-2.7 billion. If you count Pakistan that total number rises to around 3 billion. All with nuclear weapons all disputing the Kashmir region.

Orange Jesus has button power sadly. I try not and think about it.

You got a love that mountanious terrain.

Like 3000 fucking years ago or so Hannibal led his Warriors riding a bunch of fucking elephants up and over the mountanious fucking terrain of the Alpine mountains down into Rome and sacked Rome.

Centuries later the family Von trap walked over that same mountanious fucking terrain to freedom as depicted in "The Sound of Music."

But that mountani fucking terrain around Turkey, India and Pakistan, The difficulty of fucking with that shit has kept the world safe from World War III since the end of World War II.

The von Trapps were not free in the Reich? I would have presumed a wealthy family like the von Trapps would have travelled out of the country by car or more likely even train.

I am sorry, but I do not understand why they were fleeing, perhaps you can fill me. Were they Jewish? Cause there were ways around that. The #2 man of the Luftwaffe was considered too Jewish to join the Kriegsmarine during WWI.

Mountains were precisely the reason why Germany did not invade Switzerland during WWII. All the tanks in the world would not help much on the mountains. Mountainous terrain typically has few paved roads, that offer limited approaches from large number of troops and especially and motorized/mechanized vehicles. The advantage is decidedly on the defensive and the narrow paths in the Alps would mean a destroyed vehicle could block the entire road. Not to mention the supply throughput would be heavily impacted as well.

There is a reason why Tito's forces stayed in the mountains. Another example you can study is the battle for Crimea or even the seige of Sevastopol.

Perfect example is how US fucked up the Monte Cassino. The German Commander in the area abandoned the monestary on the peak out of respect for the religious order running it, seeing as he was a member. After communicating his intentions to his enemy and retreating his adventagious positions the US commanders decided to carpet bomb the monetary. The enraged German commander pulled back his forces this starting the battle of Monte Cassino.

It took 4 months of heavy fighting against a numerically inferior force to finally take the peak.

As to the topic of Hannible. While he did cross the Alps, which itself was extremely dangerous. There were no major engagements with the Roman army in the Alps. The attrition crossing the Alps was in lost men, supplies, and animals who died falling off cliffs, weather, and disease. Additionally he received aid and guidance from tribes whom did not look favourably upon the Romans.

There is difference between crossing a mountainous barrier and fighting in it. Especially defeating an enemy in it with modern ranged weapons.

The von Trapps were not free in the Reich? I would have presumed a wealthy family like the von Trapps would have travelled out of the country by car or more likely even train.

I am sorry, but I do not understand why they were fleeing, perhaps you can fill me. Were they Jewish? Cause there were ways around that. The #2 man of the Luftwaffe was considered too Jewish to join the Kriegsmarine during WWI.

Mountains were precisely the reason why Germany did not invade Switzerland during WWII. All the tanks in the world would not help much on the mountains. Mountainous terrain typically has few paved roads, that offer limited approaches from large number of troops and especially and motorized/mechanized vehicles. The advantage is decidedly on the defensive and the narrow paths in the Alps would mean a destroyed vehicle could block the entire road. Not to mention the supply throughput would be heavily impacted as well.

There is a reason why Tito's forces stayed in the mountains. Another example you can study is the battle for Crimea or even the seige of Sevastopol.

Perfect example is how US fucked up the Monte Cassino. The German Commander in the area abandoned the monestary on the peak out of respect for the religious order running it, seeing as he was a member. After communicating his intentions to his enemy and retreating his adventagious positions the US commanders decided to carpet bomb the monetary. The enraged German commander pulled back his forces this starting the battle of Monte Cassino.

It took 4 months of heavy fighting against a numerically inferior force to finally take the peak.

As to the topic of Hannible. While he did cross the Alps, which itself was extremely dangerous. There were no major engagements with the Roman army in the Alps. The attrition crossing the Alps was in lost men, supplies, and animals who died falling off cliffs, weather, and disease. Additionally he received aid and guidance from tribes whom did not look favourably upon the Romans.

There is difference between crossing a mountainous barrier and fighting in it. Especially defeating an enemy in it with modern ranged weapons.

It was a joke.

I was mocking your word "mountanious."

I deleted it because I ended up deciding it was kinda mean and not really that funny.

But thanks for the response.

Back