Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Speight

I am guessing all the Speight-bashers who went overboard attacking him after the Spring Game sure feel a little silly now.

I am guessing all the Speight-bashers who went overboard attacking him after the Spring Game sure feel a little silly now.

After reviewing the Spring Game thread, Monster, Wolv-24 and wv-4-life were the most vehement Spright-bashers.

Eh, I've never been a huge fan of his regardless. His ceiling is very low. There are plenty of QBs that can play the whole game manager, don't make mistakes role.

With the way the season is set up, you need a guy that can pick up others around him when the moment is the brightest. Speight had those chances last season and fell way short.

He's good for what they ask him to do, but not much else.

Well I'm still not completely sold on him as the best option. His biggest issue is accuracy and that's always going to hurt our WRs when it comes to getting YAC. He's also a terrible deep ball passer. It limits our offense.

He was good for us last season, but he has his limitations. If he was extremely accurate, I'd be perfectly happy. You can dominate with a great short and medium passing game, but it requires a very accurate QB so you get the YAC yardage.

Side note: I'm sick of people using the injury excuse for his Iowa performance. His injury happened with 4:30 remaining in the game. He had already over and underthrown a wide open Darboh eleventy billion times.

Last edited:
Here's our Wilton ...

Attachments

• IMG_5494.jpg
    IMG_5494.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 7
Same here. Prove me wrong, I would love it. His injury(before and after) doesn't take away the fact his balls were flat and late all year long.

This QB coach does a good job of breaking down the issues with Speight's mechanics. Link. From the article:

"The major problem with his mechanics is his lack of follow through. He uses all arm and even though his elbow comes through nice and high, the power that he starts generating when he pushes off his back foot is stopped when his front foot plants down. The hips never finish their rotation forward."

Last edited:
I got into a massive argument with people on another board about his mechanics. I was told that plenty of other QBs have funky motions.

I responded with basically, "go look at any star NFL QB." You will be hard pressed to find any good pro that has a really wonky motion. It is really not that complicated, basic physics on why you have to follow through with your shoulder as the launching point. Provides the most velocity on ANY type of throw you do with any object.

When you throw the ball sidearm and have an almost pushing-type motion, it will limit your overall ability.

I got into a massive argument with people on another board about his mechanics. I was told that plenty of other QBs have funky motions.

I responded with basically, "go look at any star NFL QB." You will be hard pressed to find any good pro that has a really wonky motion. It is really not that complicated, basic physics on why you have to follow through with your shoulder as the launching point. Provides the most velocity on ANY type of throw you do with any object.

When you throw the ball sidearm and have an almost pushing-type motion, it will limit your overall ability.

Even if you have a bit of a funky motion, you can still have your feet and hip rotation correct to generate velocity.

Hopefully Harbaugh can correct his issues with hip rotation and footwork.

Back