Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Name 3 guys you would keep

For some reason or another I wouldn't miss JV nearly has much as Miggy. i'm not sure why. Prolly one of those deals where I only would change my mind after he's gone. The list was for three, it it were five I would have included JV and Norris but since it was only three.. On second thought replace Avila with JV

Miggy
JV
Fulmer

I just like Alex cuz he makes pitchers throw strikes and we need about 5-6 more of those guys like that. That was the only reason I had him on the list of 3, in hindsight that is't a large enough reason is it.

I miss smokes to, he was better than brad.

Last edited:
Even smokes could not have performed a miracle with this team.

Brad is not a good manager, but this is an organizational problem.

Mitch, this team will not be a contender in 2-3 years. The fact that they have continued to try and kick the can down the road for this long has only continued to make the rebuild that much more painful.

That is just something you are going to have to accept. They are so filled with bloated contracts and veterans that are near the end. And the farm system is not ready to come back in and fix things anytime soon.

You start this process now, and understand that they won't be back where they used to be for AT LEAST another 5 years.

Okay so why trade JV and what can we get that actually helps besides money in a non capped sport?

I'm a fan of the team before a fan of individual players. If a trade makes sense for the greater good of the team I'll get over losing one of my favorite players. My only problem currently with trading JV or Miggy is that I don't think we have the brain trust to recognize young talent to target.

I'm a fan of the team before a fan of individual players. If a trade makes sense for the greater good of the team I'll get over losing one of my favorite players. My only problem currently with trading JV or Miggy is that I don't think we have the brain trust to recognize young talent to target.

My point is some are saying he stinks, past his prime, someone said he's not a team player ;-), and he's making a ton of money.. So why would you think we'd get young talent? Or even have a shot at it?

So trade him just to trade? Saving money does nothing. Trading him probably makes us worse..

Yes, it makes you worse in the interim.

There will be a few teams that are willing to give up a few prospects for a guy like JV. It happens basically annually in MLB.

Yes, it makes you worse in the interim.

There will be a few teams that are willing to give up a few prospects for a guy like JV. It happens basically annually in MLB.

It didn't happen last off season when he had a Cy Young season.. Guys making his money get traded if it's the last year under contract, not 3 plus years after. Or they get a big contract back, I don't see that helping. Or they pay part of the salary and get junk in return.

Even smokes could not have performed a miracle with this team.

Brad is not a good manager, but this is an organizational problem.

I liked smokes cuz he was an ol gruff and would get upset. I prefer guys that get upset and yell up and down the halls. No it probably doesn't really make any difference but it makes me feel better when someone does all the bitching and moaning for me. Brad just sits there like a stump on a log with a dumbass confused look on his face

Last edited:
Don't forget the 10 and 5 status. JV would have to approve trade..

I do not know the logistics of the trade stuff with JV. All I am saying is that you are able to find a willing trade partner and they are willing to give up some top minor leaguers, you have to do it at this point. There is no reason to hang onto these guys anymore.

I do not know the logistics of the trade stuff with JV. All I am saying is that you are able to find a willing trade partner and they are willing to give up some top minor leaguers, you have to do it at this point. There is no reason to hang onto these guys anymore.

See I don't think we get top minor leaguer' players, for the reasons I gave above.

Plus I think of teams who seem to trade away players making any kind of money, Miami-TB-Oak etc - they all seem to do poorly at the box office. Though the Marlins always seem to spend, sell, spend, sell.. I'll be honest, they've won two WS but there's never any long time recognizable players. I'm not sure I'd want that over what the Tigers have had.

Even if you do not get the top of the top minor leaguers, I think you would be surprised what some of the teams would be willing to give up, knowing that they may be a pitcher or hitter away from making a deep run.

If they do not get rid of JD, then I'll never believe Avila will succeed here. The team can't pay him after this season, so get what you can for him.

Even if you do not get the top of the top minor leaguers, I think you would be surprised what some of the teams would be willing to give up, knowing that they may be a pitcher or hitter away from making a deep run.

If they do not get rid of JD, then I'll never believe Avila will succeed here. The team can't pay him after this season, so get what you can for him.

That's the other question, people here seem to think JV is done so why would playoff teams want that contract? Not my opinion but it's what's being said.

Why wasn't any one wanting Verlander traded last year??

Cy Young type year, and same payroll??

Why wasn't any one wanting Verlander traded last year??

Cy Young type year, and same payroll??

Is it actually out somewhere that Verlander was unwanted? It seems far more plausible that he wasn't really on the block (we sold guys at the end if their contacts, not long term players), we were asking too much, or he simply refused to ok any trade. Call me crazy, but if the question is whether everybody in the league hates Verlander or if Al Avila couldn't get the job done, I'm vastly more confident it was the latter.

I should have clarified, when I said why wasn't anyone wanting Verlander traded last year, I meant you guys who are ok with trading him now.

Someone mentioned Iggy as a possible 3rd player , i was gonna add him too cause of his superb defense . Decent bat but that glove is priceless !!

Rebuilds generally take 5-7 years (aka NYY, CHC, etc) Fulmer fetches more in a trade and would be problematic to retain into his Arbitration/Free Agent years. The three we should be keeping are those that will be cost controlled for the next 4-6 years. It really doesn't matter if you try and trade Cabrera or Verlander. They still have value to this organization even if they don't win. Avila fucked up by not trading J.D. in the off season. 1/3 of a season for JD isn't getting elite players in return. Any team that gets JD CANNOT give him a Qualifying Offer if he is traded. This franchise is so dysfunctional.

Rebuilds generally take 5-7 years (aka NYY, CHC, etc) Fulmer fetches more in a trade and would be problematic to retain into his Arbitration/Free Agent years. The three we should be keeping are those that will be cost controlled for the next 4-6 years. It really doesn't matter if you try and trade Cabrera or Verlander. They still have value to this organization even if they don't win. Avila fucked up by not trading J.D. in the off season. 1/3 of a season for JD isn't getting elite players in return. Any team that gets JD CANNOT give him a Qualifying Offer if he is traded. This franchise is so dysfunctional.

Al Avila really needs to be fired above anyone else first

Back