Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Bridges dad says he's coming back...

johnny2x2x

Last edited:
Um, yeah, Sean just dropped a bomb in the RCMB chat. Says several sources have told him Bridges is coming back.

He did miss several games this season, I'm sure he feels like his career is just starting at MSU. Maybe he didn't envision his whole college career only being 20 some games.

Next season a starting lineup of McCoy, Ward, Bridges, Langford, and Winston would be national title worthy.

He's a top 20 pick right now, maybe as high as 12 or so in a very deep draft class. He could easily be a top 5 pick next season.

Last edited:
Um, yeah, Sean just dropped a bomb in the RCMB chat. Says several sources have told him Bridges is coming back.

He did miss several games this season, I'm sure he feels like his career is just starting at MSU. Maybe he didn't envision his whole college career only being 20 some games.

Next season a starting lineup of McCoy, Ward, Bridges, Langford, and Winston would be national title worthy.

He's a top 20 pick right now, maybe as high as 12 or so in a very deep draft class. He could easily be a top 5 pick next season.

Be real now, you know Izzo's gonna have to force some combo of at least 2 of Tum, Schilling or McQuaid into the starting lineup.

Also, I'm gonna take the same stance I did with Gary Harris and just plan on him being gone and if he comes back, awesome.

Also, I'm gonna take the same stance I did with Gary Harris and just plan on him being gone and if he comes back, awesome.

McCoy's interview the other night might have been one of the sources. McCoy told Sean that Bridges it recruiting him really hard to MSU to play with him next season.

Sometimes watching Bridges play in the Big Ten, he just looks like he's too good for the competition, when he chases down a break away and snuffs their shot from behind, it just doesn't look fair. He would be an absolute monster next season, and with so many big guys around him he'd get to play the 3 most of the game, what 3 in the Big Ten has a prayer of stopping him?

The potential rotation is just insane:
McCoy
Ward
Bridges
Langford
Winston
_______
Jackson
Schilling
McQuaid
Goins
Tum Tum
Tillman (Red Shirt Candidate)
Ahrens

Schilling will be a key because he can guard smaller 4s out on the court while playing the 5.

Sean says 70% chance he's coming back. And it seems if we make a run in the NCAA he might consider leaving. Says his legacy at MSU is very important to him. And he's hearing this from more than just his dad.

The 2017-18 MSU basketball roster is poised to make a run at a Natty, if Bridges comes back and McCoy signs on we'll have a roster with 4 McD's All Americans, 5 Five star recruits, and 6 top 50 players. Just loaded in a way only Kentucky and Duke are usually loaded to.

SO Bowen is waiting to see what Trier and Bridges are doing to commit. If they both stay, he will probably end up at Creighton. Weird.

All I know is that I'd take another year of Bridges over 1-2 years of Bowen every time. Bowen could be great, but Bridges is such a great team guy and a guaranteed stud.

SO Bowen is waiting to see what Trier and Bridges are doing to commit. If they both stay, he will probably end up at Creighton. Weird.

All I know is that I'd take another year of Bridges over 1-2 years of Bowen every time. Bowen could be great, but Bridges is such a great team guy and a guaranteed stud.

How come this never causes guys to not go to Kentucky? I'm not buying it

OK, seems like Bridges will make his decision this week or next.

Here's where it sits. Bridges has told people his leaning towards coming back. Bridges mom and dad both think he should come back. Izzo has basically stated that he'll advise Bridges to go pro. McCoy and he have talked about playing together.

Here's the kicker. The NBA's rookie salary cap goes up 45% in 2018-19, by staying an extra year he'd earn himself several $million extra dollars on his first contract even if he doesn't improve his stock. Now the 2018 draft isn't as deep as this year, so there's little doubt he'd move into the top 10, or maybe top 5. He could be looking at maybe a $10 Million difference for his first contract by staying another year.

A week ago Sean Scherer said 70% he's returning, I'd say 50-50 is about right.

What stinks if he leaves is that McCoy wants to come here to play with Bridges, if Bridges is gone then we likely don't get McCoy.

I didn't know that about the rookie salary cap. That's a big deal (that would of course affect other non-lottery level first rounder's thought process too). Don't have the number in front of me but I doubt you earn an extra $10 million by staying since you have to figure in the difference between making $0 next year by staying and factor that out to where you might be in 4 years (and your second contract has a lot to do with that too). Scout seems all over the place on him. Some calling him the next Vince Carter. Others thinking he mostly just an athletic tweener.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulder and will make the right decision for himself. If he leaves doesn't it greatly improve our chances with Bowen? Could be a win-win all the way around for everyone hopefully.

Last edited:
I didn't know that about the rookie salary cap. That's a big deal (that would of course affect other non-lottery level first rounder's thought process too). Don't have the number in front of me but I doubt you earn an extra $10 million by staying since you have to figure in the difference between making $0 next year by staying and factor that out to where you might be in 4 years (and your second contract has a lot to do with that too). Scout seems all over the place on him. Some calling him the next Vince Carter. Others thinking he mostly just an athletic tweener.

He seems to have a good head on his shoulder and will make the right decision for himself. If he leaves doesn't it greatly improve our chances with Bowen? Could be a win-win all the way around for everyone hopefully.

Actually, he's slotted 12th right now, if he stays 12th after staying a year, he'll make $4 Million more in his first contract. If he moves up to 5th he'll make $12 million more in his first contract. But as you alluded to it means he'll play for free, and they are all playing for their 2nd contracts, getting to that 2nd contract as soon as you can is important.

If he's convinced he will improve his draft stock he should come back. Next year's draft is not supposed to be as deep too. It's a great situation for him at MSU to develop too, he can play his more natural position of small forward, the position he'll play in the NBA. I'd actually like to see him slim down about 10 lbs. He can work on his handles, his defense, and creating his own shot. I think his family is assuming he can be a top 5 pick after next season.

And McCoy wants to play with Bridges, so I think we only get McCoy if Bridges stays. Bowen? Strange recruitment, he was thought to be a lock to MSU, but wants to be the primary scoring option wherever he goes. If it's not Zona or MSU, he actually will end up at Creighton. Weird indeed.

Derrick Nix says Bridges is staying. Really, the buzz is that he's already made up his mind to stay. We should know next week officially. Was 50-50, now I think it's 80-20 in favor of staying.

Sean, the beat writer for MSU on RCMB, is more confident even than I on Bridges returning, he puts it at 90%. Says that Bridges's legacy is the most important thing to him.

So if he stays and we get McCoy...favorites for the national championship? Might be Izzos last shot at it

Hey if he is slotted at 12th the Pistons would have a great shot of getting him!!!! Seriously if Johnny is right he can make more money next sesson it's probably a no brainer as he will move way up into the top 10 next season.

http://www.tankathon.com

Last edited:
Hey if he is slotted at 12th the Pistons would have a great shot of getting him!!!! Seriously if Johnny is right he can make more money next sesson it's probably a no brainer as he will move way up into the top 10 next season.

http://www.tankathon.com

This class is really strong for wings and weak for big men. Next year's class will be the opposite. Ironically, this could be a factor in Bridges staying and also a factor in Wilson and Wagner leaving UM. Sounds like they are both entering the draft, but won't get an agent so they have until mid May to withdraw after they participate in the NBA combine.

This class is really strong for wings and weak for big men. Next year's class will be the opposite. Ironically, this could be a factor in Bridges staying and also a factor in Wilson and Wagner leaving UM. Sounds like they are both entering the draft, but won't get an agent so they have until mid May to withdraw after they participate in the NBA combine.

If I was a Michigan fan, I'd be a little worried. Those 2 aren't the type to create their own shot and losing their only proven PG could tip the scales with 1 or both of them. Simpson didn't look close to ready in the few minutes he got.

If I was a Michigan fan, I'd be a little worried. Those 2 aren't the type to create their own shot and losing their only proven PG could tip the scales with 1 or both of them. Simpson didn't look close to ready in the few minutes he got.

I wouldn't doubt that they both leave knowing Michigan's luck. I disagree that michigan doesn't have the guard play to be successful. Simpson will make a big jump next season and they have Poole coming in and Mathews , and Muhammad. If wilson and Wagner stay the team will be decent and really good by seasons end. Probably not as good as Msu but then I guess it all depends on who stays and who goes I guess .

Last edited:
I wouldn't doubt that they both leave knowing Michigan's luck. I disagree that michigan doesn't have the guard play to be successful. Simpson will make a big jump next season and they have Poole coming in and Mathews , and Muhammad. If wilson and Wagner stay the team will be decent and really good by seasons end. Probably not as good as Msu but then I guess it all depends on who stays and who goes I guess .

All 3 of those guys are off guards/small forwards IMO. Not sure where you guys are at with scholarships, but adding a grad PG might be a good idea. Even if Simpson makes a big step there's no ball handlers behind him.

All 3 of those guys are off guards/small forwards IMO. Not sure where you guys are at with scholarships, but adding a grad PG might be a good idea. Even if Simpson makes a big step there's no ball handlers behind him.

I totally agree that we need another guard that can handle the ball. I think we can get away with Muhammad for some minutes in each game . I don't disagree that most of the guys are off guards. But it depends on wilson and Wagner I guess and the number of scholarship they still have. if both stay I think even with the guys who are coming in. (Poole, Livers, ect,ect). They were targeting Moe Bamba if I spelled it right?

Poole has deep deep range but like you said can he pass lol. I think jb will find someone and maybe a graduate transfer is a option!!

https://www.landof10.com/michigan/jordan-poole-video-highlights-michigan-basketball-recruiting

Just like I thought we have only 1 left .. they are looking at Wright states guard as a possible transfer. BUT it only happens if they don't get Bamba and if Wagner and wilson go.

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...s_wright_state.html#incart_river_mobile_index

Last edited:
Back