Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Blount to the Lions?

Let's not forget, he was a beast his rookie season, pretty darn solid in year 2 with TB, and other than 2014, his 3 main years with NE he's been consistently good.

He's the best you are going to do in terms of what the Lions need at the position. If you can snag him at a reasonable price, it would be stupid not to. You cannot roll into the season with the current guys in the backfield. They are constantly injured or underperforming.

I'm always leery of any Patriot skill position free agent. System, system, system....

I feel a RB like Blount is an exception to that rule. He's a north/south runner. It's not like he's taking advantage of cheesy screens and sweeps. That's Dion Lewis'/James White's role.

He's the best you are going to do in terms of what the Lions need at the position. If you can snag him at a reasonable price, it would be stupid not to. You cannot roll into the season with the current guys in the backfield. They are constantly injured or underperforming.

So, who's the odd man out? If we added a top rb in the draft, I'd be fine with dumping Zenner/Washington, but for a 33 year old power back, I'm not so sure. I'm almost thinking we're better off just rolling with what we've got this year and hoping we stay somewhat healthy. Seems crazy even to me, but I expect Abdullah to have a decent year if healthy, and for Zenner and Washington to play better if Abdullah goes down again, or play much better in their limited reps. I still feel our best chance at a solid run game is having 1 guy carrying a bulk of the load.

Last edited:
Couple things. I know in other sports it may not be a huge difference, but Blount is 30, not 33. That's a few substantial years of tread.

Second, I'd say Washington would be the odd man out in that move. 2.9 YPG, didn't really show much of anything and really doesn't get ANY push after initial contact. I know some people see things in him, I have no clue what they are.

Last edited:
I wonder the cost on Blount is. Right now we don't have much money and still have draft picks to sign.

Couple things. I know in other sports it may not be a huge difference, but Blount is 30, not 33. That's a few substantial years of tread.

Second, I'd say Washington would be the odd man out in that move. 2.9 YPG, didn't really show much of anything and really doesn't get ANY push after initial contact. I know some people see things in him, I have no clue what they are.

It's not just that he's 30 but for a 30 year old RB he hasn't ran the ball a whole lot. So he could be a fresh 30. So to speak.

Right. He may be old by RB standards, but he still hasn't been pouring in hundreds of carries compared to other backs his age.

I think it's a no-brainer to sign him, but that's just me.

I wonder the cost on Blount is. Right now we don't have much money and still have draft picks to sign.

Lions have some space now (5.6 million in room currently). And will get a lot more on June 1st when Levy becomes a June 1st cap cut and comes off the books split into two years. 5.8 million additional in room on June 1st.

11.4 million in room as of June 1st. Maybe more if Stafford gets extended and lowers the 22 million number this summer. Plenty of room for draft picks, Blount, top 53, practice squad. and wiggle room for IR with some carryover.

I guess I am not sure how this works, but it's my understanding that if we sign him, the Pats get a compensatory pick... but we don't lose one... so I am not sure why he is suddenly "more expensive" as several sites are claiming.

I guess I am not sure how this works, but it's my understanding that if we sign him, the Pats get a compensatory pick... but we don't lose one... so I am not sure why he is suddenly "more expensive" as several sites are claiming.

The money spent on Blount by any team will count as a negative towards the comp equation for Bount's new team. So a team that lost a player of Blount's pay grade would be offset by signing Blount. So instead of Blount's new team possibly getting a Comp pick, this would possibly eliminate them getting one.

But we are talking late round 7ths here, not a big deal. It won't impact Blount's salary or his cap hit. So I can only assume the "more expensive" comment refers to the possibility of it maybe costing them a comp 7th that they don't even currently have.

This story is way larger simply because it's the Patriots.

Last edited:

If he does not get picked up by a team by(forgot the exact date) he is under contract for the Pats for one year at 1.1 million. 110% of his last contract. So he becomes more expensive if a team thought they could sign him for under 1.1 million. That is pretty much a guaranteed contract with the Pats.

If he does not get picked up by a team by(forgot the exact date) he is under contract for the Pats for one year at 1.1 million. 110% of his last contract. So he becomes more expensive if a team thought they could sign him for under 1.1 million. That is pretty much a guaranteed contract with the Pats.

I'd sign him at 1.1m. That seems cheap as hell.

The money spent on Blount by any team will count as a negative towards the comp equation for Bount's new team. So a team that lost a player of Blount's pay grade would be offset by signing Blount. So instead of Blount's new team possibly getting a Comp pick, this would possibly eliminate them getting one.

But we are talking late round 7ths here, not a big deal. It won't impact Blount's salary or his cap hit. So I can only assume the "more expensive" comment refers to the possibility of it maybe costing them a comp 7th that they don't even currently have.

This story is way larger simply because it's the Patriots.

Right this makes sense now. I forgot they factored in players lost vs. players signed.

I don't think he was signing anywhere for the $1.1million after leading the NFL in TDs a year ago. He can parlay that, at least, to $2.5million.

Jamaal Charles got 1 million base with 2.75 in incentives and he has no working legs anymore.

According to some reports, teams that remain interested are trying to figure out a way around the tender. Obviously, most people didn't even know the May 9 tender existed, so I surely don't know what rules there may be to get around it.

From Rotoworld...

According to ESPN's Josina Anderson, interested teams are trying to work around the May 9 tender the Patriots placed on free agent RB LeGarrette Blount.

The May 9 tender allows Blount to remain part of the compensatory pick formula. Blount can negotiate with teams until training camp starts, but if he remains unsigned once training camps open, he can only negotiate with the Patriots through Week 10. It significantly weakens Blount's market, but teams are trying to find a way around the seldom-used tender the Patriots pulled out.

Back