Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 69 Tigers vs. Mariners June 19, 2017

kalinecountry

Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Boston Celtics
Tigers Lineup:
Kinsler 2B
Avila C
Miggy 1B
JD DH
Upton LF
Nick 3B
Presley RF
Romine CF
Iggy SS
Bombs Away Sanchez RHP

Bench: Machado, Mahtook, Hicks, McCann.

Mariners lineup;
Gamel RF
Heredia LF
Cano 2B
Steroids Cruz DH
Seager 3B
Valencia 1B ex-twin
Dyson CF ex-royal
Zunino C
Motter SS
Gaviglio RHP another rookie pitcher, oh boy.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...view,lock_state=preview,game_tab=,game=491148
Gameday.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2017/06/tigers_mariners_preview.html#incart_river_index
Tigers, Mariners preview: Welcome back to the bigs, Anibal Sanchez.
Mlive

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/news/articl...-prepare-to-open-4-game-set/?topicId=26688836
Sanchez returns to face Mariners in opener.
Tigers official site

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2017/6...ariners-series-preview-drew-smyly-coming-soon
Behind Enemy Lines: Q&A with Lookout Landing
John Trupin talks injured pitchers, expectations, and answers some other questions ahead of the Seattle series.
BYBTB

http://www.espn.com/mlb/preview?gameId=370619112
Tigers' Sanchez gets a start against Mariners.
espn

http://www.baseball-reference.com/previews/2017/SEA201706190.shtml
Seattle Mariners vs. Detroit Tigers, at Safeco Field, June 19, 2017 Matchups, Tickets, Preview.
Baseball Reference

All-Time DETROIT leads 214-186.

Notable:
Anibal Sanchez is back with the Tigers after spending exactly four weeks with the Triple-A Toledo Mud Hens. He's pitched well in two career starts at Safeco Field, going 1-0 with a 2.92 ERA.
Sanchez has been plagued by the long ball in recent years. Of current Mariners, only one player has ever hit a home run against him. That player, however, has gone long four times.
Nelson 'Steroids' Cruz is 5-for-12 with a double, four home runs and nine RBIs in his career against Sanchez.

The Tigers had an interesting series against Seattle in April, scoring 19 runs in the first game and then managing only one in the next two games.

Tigers record when...
Scoring first: 19-16
Opponent scores first: 13-20
Scoring 5 or more: 25-9
Scoring 4 or less: 7-27
Extra innings: 0-2
One-run games: 10-10
Two-run games: 2-7
Tigers get Quality Start: 22-15
Tigers starter works 6+ innings: 25-17
Lead after 6th/7th/8th inning: 29-6/28-6/29-4
Trail after 6th/7th/8th inning: 0-26/1-27/0-30
Tied after 6th/7th/8th inning: 3-4/3-3/3-2
Tigers outhit opponent: 21-6
Opponent outhits Tigers: 9-26
Tigers hit a home run: 31-19
Tigers don't hit a home run: 1-17
Come-from-behind wins: 18

Last edited:
So we need a QS when we get the lead early and score 5+ runs and play long ball and are leading by the 6th inning.. Simple enough.

So unless the game is tied or the tigers are winning after the 6th we really don't need to watch the last three..good to know

Last edited:
The Tigers are only 1.5 games ahead in the standings from having the worst record in the AL.

So there's this guy out in the outfield at Seattle, with a Tiger hat and a Kirk Gibson jersey. The announcer guy in the stands (Monroe?) hears from the booth that Gibson (commentator for FSD) wants him to eat 5 spicy grasshoppers and Gibson will sign the jersey. The guy eats 5 spicy grasshoppers on TV!

Tigers fail to score with the bases loaded in the 6th inning. We had a golden opportunity with the bases loaded and 1 out. The Seattle reliever unfortunately did his job and struck out PH Mahtook and Romine.

Really enjoying the ESPN cast. Tim K and Boone especially. Making this (what seems like) inevitable loss more bearable to watch.

What the hell.. It's after 10pm here and still 109. It's suppose to be 122 tomorrow.. I don't mind hot but that's a bit much.

It was hit in michigan last week but very pleasant the last 2 days.

Tigers manager Brad Ausmus appeared to be watching Mariners starter Sam Gaviglio closely in the first inning and he twice visited home plate umpire Fieldin Culbreth to discuss something.
Gaviglio begins each delivery by placing his foot at the very edge of the rubber, an unorthodox style, which may have been the source of the discussion.
They managed just three hits off a 27-year-old rookie making just his seventh career start, and were blanked on two hits by four relievers over the final four innings.

Sanchez's first start of the season almost unraveled quickly. After retiring the first four batters of the game, he issued back-to-back four-pitch walks.
Sanchez later loaded the bases by hitting a batter, but he escaped the inning by getting Taylor Motter to strike out looking.
He got out of another jam in the fourth, when he struck out catcher Mike Zunino looking with two runners on base.

Sanchez gave up his only runs in the fifth inning, when Guillermo Heredia hit a two-run homer to left-center on a 91 mph fastball.

Sanchez?s final line: Five innings, five hits, two earned runs, five strikeouts and three walks.

Francisco Rodriguez allowed a two-run home run in the eighth inning, his eighth allowed this season in 24 2/3 innings.

It was the Tigers 8th loss in 11 games,
They are five games under .500 for the first time this season, and the first time since May 15 of last season.
Last season, the club went 23-13 from June 19 to the trade deadline. There is little evidence that such a burst is in them right now.

Alex Wilson has allowed seven runs over his past seven appearances, spanning 6 2/3 innings. Twice in that period, he has allowed game-winning home runs.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/tigers-...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=491148
Boxscore.

Roars
Anibal Sanchez ? I am writing this in the sixth inning. Yes, I realize that is dangerous, but I?m a risk taker. People tell me that. But good news, the risk paid off. Sanchez?s final line: Five innings, five hits, five strikeouts, three walks, and a two-run home run allowed.

Hisses
Alex Wilson ? Upon hearing I was struggling for hisses, he gave up a two-run home run right on cue, giving the M?s a 4-2 lead at the time. He has not been good lately.

Francisco Rodriguez ? Well, yeah. What did you expect?

Stats and stuff
Monday was Sanchez?s first start of the year and longest outing since Sept. 22 of last year.
Alex Avila has reached first base in 12 straight games.

What the hell.. It's after 10pm here and still 109. It's suppose to be 122 tomorrow.. I don't mind hot but that's a bit much.

It was 112 here in Sierra Vista yesterday. Average high is just 89. It was 91 at 8:30 AM yesterday just before our 2.5 hour hike along the San Pedro River.

It's a dry heat though, send it north I'll gladly soak it up

Last edited:
Updating what KC posted:

Ahead after 6 innings = 29-6

Tied after 6 inning = 3-4

Behind after 6 innings = 0-27

Scoring 5 runs in first 6 innings = 21-3

It's a dry heat though, send it north I'll gladly soak it up

True on this. One thing I noticed when I moved, 90 degrees in Michigan I'd sweat like a hog. I don't sweat here at all.. I love the low humidity. But going to get the mail in 115+ can be a bit daunting.

Back