Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Do people still believe in the Greek/Roman gods?

Michchamp

I know there are people who go retro with the pagan/Celtic cults, and even have festivals and ceremonies, etc. but I've never really read about anyone raising a temple to Zeus, preaching against extreme hubris, or, say, consulting an Oracle.

I suppose you could argue that Mardi Gras, Spring Break, etc. are modern day equivalents of the Cult of Dionysus, just without any awareness of the link to Bacchanalia. Or really without any awareness of anything, since they're so drunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
This actually brings up a question for me, will Christianity/Islam go the way of the current ancient religions (Greek/Roman polytheism) in a few thousand years? If so, what will it be replaced with?

This actually brings up a question for me, will Christianity/Islam go the way of the current ancient religions (Greek/Roman polytheism) in a few thousand years? If so, what will it be replaced with?

bill-and-ted.jpg

The oldest active major religions are Hindu and Judaism and they've been around for over 3000 years. Greek polytheism also began around that timeframe, but is no longer considered a major religion. So it seems probable that regardless of the growth or decline of the Christian and Muslim faiths, they will likely be around for many thousands of years from now, even if only followed by small extremely orthodox groups.

There has been a recent revival of Norse mythology.
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=revival+of+norse+mythology
Not sure if Marvel's Thor has played a role in that revival. lol

The transformers

Zeus is real. How else do you explain lightning? For fuck's sake, Zeus has a lightning bolt and he uses it to show us mortals that he is there. This has been written down and passed from generation to generation for years. And the movies...come on. Explain the movies if Zeus is just make believe. They wouldn't make a movie about a guy if he wasn't real.

All of this Jesus talk is just one of Hades' deceptions to keep you from sacrificing for his brothers.

I suppose you could argue that Mardi Gras, Spring Break, etc. are modern day equivalents of the Cult of Dionysus, just without any awareness of the link to Bacchanalia. Or really without any awareness of anything, since they're so drunk.

"Fat Tuesday" is a quasi-Christian observation. In New Orleans, everybody gets drunk and girls flash their boobs; in still cold Michigan everyone (especially us Polish) gorges on those disgusting jelly doughnuts.

The idea is to have one last fun day blow out before the fairly solemn Lenten season, which begins the next day, Ash Wednesday.

Christian observations have always been laced with Pagan customs; everything about Christmas that can be displayed in a public building is from Pagan Winter Solstice customs.

Back