Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RIP Chris Cornell

Michchamp

died yesterday night while on tour in Detroit. He was 52. Link.

Holy shit, man.

we saw him in 2015 in Chicago just before we moved to Texas. He did a solo acoustic set & his voice was still amazing. He played for hours... no breaks, not even for water. Not sure how that was possible.

Yeah, this sucks.

I remember when Soundgarden split and Rage Against the Machine stopped touring and rumors were that they would get together, I thought...nah those two sounds/styles don't go together but damned if Audioslave wasn't one of my favorite bands.

4 big frontmen for really influential bands of my 20's and Eddie Vedder is all that's left. Cobain, Weiland, and now Cornell.

RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2ZUGc2mSs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC2GjXMk7i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rdl1ZBbBDEU

Last edited:
Yeah, this sucks.

I remember when Soundgarden split and Rage Against the Machine stopped touring and rumors were that they would get together, I thought...nah those two sounds/styles don't go together but damned if Audioslave wasn't one of my favorite bands.

Huh, and I thought it would be an awesome fit but was disappointed with their output. To each his own.

Can't get "Nothing To Say" out of my head this morning.

Really wish I would have gotten to see his acoustic show. Heard nothing but good things about it.

Huh, and I thought it would be an awesome fit but was disappointed with their output. To each his own.

Can't get "Nothing To Say" out of my head this morning.

Really wish I would have gotten to see his acoustic show. Heard nothing but good things about it.

I had the first Audioslave album. It was better than the usual "supergroup" output I thought. still not as good as anything Rage or Soundgarden put out prior, but I still liked it.

We lucked out getting to see his show. I saw it was going to be in Chicago that night or maybe a day in advance and got a couple tickets (shitty tickets but still).

and we had a babysitter that lived in walking distance, had no family of her own nearby, as her kids were grown and moved away, and liked babysitting just to get out of the house... so we were able to arrange that at the last minute.

I have a Cd pf Temple of the dog I think somewhere.It was good, and I remember listening to it alot.

I had the first Audioslave album. It was better than the usual "supergroup" output I thought. still not as good as anything Rage or Soundgarden put out prior, but I still liked it.

We lucked out getting to see his show. I saw it was going to be in Chicago that night or maybe a day in advance and got a couple tickets (shitty tickets but still).

and we had a babysitter that lived in walking distance, had no family of her own nearby, as her kids were grown and moved away, and liked babysitting just to get out of the house... so we were able to arrange that at the last minute.

I guess I was a bigger fan of Rage than Soundgarden at the time, so it was pretty disappointing to hear the edges of Morello and Co's sound filed off so much. But if you take that out of the equation and just listen to the songs on their own merit, it's not bad.

Definitely sounds like a stroke of luck. I'd do anything for a trustworthy babysitter. Have you found anyone in TX?

everytime we find a babysitter we like, that gets along with our kids, they move or get a full time job. i think we've gone through 4 different ones in 1 1/2 years. we don't get out much.

wife typically interviews them, and then she brings them over to meet kids. if they pass that test, then we hire them.

Wayne County coroner confirmed it was suicide.

Don't really know what to think about that.

seems totally unexpected. Why now, after all he's been through? You'd think whatever demons troubled him before would be tolerable now, at age 52. man.

then again... he has been writing and performing depressing songs about suicide for 30 years, so if you look at it that way...

I was listening to A-Sides (not the only Soundgarden album I have, just the only one I could find this AM) on the way to work, and I was surprised by how many references to suicide were in his songs... even the ones not openly about suicide.

Smells Like Teen Spirit had actually gotten onto main streem radio play lists in the about quarter century ago that Curt Cobain offed himself.

He had gotten into the mainstream news a number of months earlier for a suicide attempt; his successful subsequent attempt got a lot more coverage.

When I heard about it 30 something me said to myself "oh yeah, that guy from that group with that song."

I couldn't tell you the name of a single song that Eddie Vedder or whatever band he was with or this guy or Soundgarden ever recorded.

I just looked on YouTube for this guy-what's his name Chris Cornell? And I pulled up a bunch of songs and I didn't recognize a single one of them…although in the songs I listened to his voice was pretty impressive.

As a person with diagnosed and treated depressive disorders myself, i'm not impressed by suicide.

Once you get to be an artist in the public spotlight, the least you owe the universe and your fellow man is to at least die of an "accidental" drug overdose, or drink yourself to death like my old friends Cuba Gooding, and Bobby Keys of the Rolling Stones.

When I listen to his voice on YouTube the closest thing it reminded me of was Robert Plant and I looked Robert Plant up on Wikipedia and it said he definitely was an influence on Chris Cornell.

I just listened to a clip from Black hole Sun and I think I've probably heard it before.

As a person with diagnosed and treated depressive disorders myself, i'm not impressed by suicide.

Not that I'm impressed with it, but my initial thought was "why now?"

Seems like by 52 he had made it through the choppier seas of life: adolescence, young adulthood, and in his case, drug addiction & the stresses dealing with fame. he had been married and divorced and remarried for over 10 years, w/3 kids. and by all accounts although he struggled with depression in his youth, he had a stable 2-parent household and 4 siblings. so no obvious external stress in his life. he could play a couple shows a year and earn enough stay comfortable. buy a boat and go sailing. or golf. or frisbee golf.

But I guess depression and suicidal ideation are illnesses that stalk one throughout their life, and it's impossible to know when they'll suddenly get to be too much to handle. I guess it got him in the end.

When I listen to his voice on YouTube the closest thing it reminded me of was Robert Plant and I looked Robert Plant up on Wikipedia and it said he definitely was an influence on Chris Cornell.

I just listened to a clip from Black hole Sun and I think I've probably heard it before.

that's probably their best known song. they hit their prime radio airplay a little later than Nirvana and Pearl Jam (like 1994-1997). Some of their earlier stuff is just as good (Rusty Cage, and Outshined). all of it has darker undercurrents than Nirvana or Pearl Jam... which in some ways capped their popular appeal.

Cobain definitely wrote some dark music... I mean he wrote a song titled "I Hate Myself and Want to Die"... but he always managed to have a sense of humor about it. Cornell & Soundgarden were more serious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Listening to his voice and the theme of the videos makes me think that it's too bad he never sang Jesus in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar because he seems tailor-made to have done it.

For those who never seen nor heard it, it's like a somber and gloomy one and a half hour music video, and the sullen and lugubrious lead character ends up dying a horrific and agonizing death.

Like real grunge style shit, man

Last edited:
Listening to his voice and the theme of the videos makes me think that it's too bad he never sang Jesus in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar because he seems tailor-made to have done it.

For those who never seen nor heard it, it's like a somber and gloomy one and a half hour music video, and the sullen and lugubrious lead character ends up dying a horrific and agonizing death.

Like real grunge style shit, man

Soundgarden had a song called Jesus Christ Pose... another one of their earlier hits. Not one of their better ones though.

in 7th or 8th grade, they took us to see Jesus Christ Superstar at a local highschool. the songs were catchy, that's all I remember.

I also remember my parents saying the Catholic Church wasn't supportive of it, but my religion teacher said that wasn't true.

Anyways... I forgot all about it for probably close to 15 years until I watched some old Mr. Show DVDs and saw this hilarious sendup of JC Superstar: this hilarious sendup

Last edited by a moderator:
Back