Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

And the Brian Bowen recruiting soap opera comes to an end. The "MSU lock" that swayed to Arizona, then to Oregon, then to Creigton ends up at.........Louisville lol. What a clown

Now usually I don't take shots at kids in recruiting, but fuck this self centered douche!

Can't blame the kid, Pitino probably called up a few of his finest strippers and hookers for him

2018 SF Gabe Brown has committed. Guy's recruiting profile is exploding. He's a 2 or a 3 at 6-8.5 with a 7-3" Wingspan. He's a great athlete and can shoot. When it's all said and done, Brown will be the top ranked player in the state, he's a freak.

And his recruitment is pretty cool, his father passed away from cancer a year ago and basically told his son his last wish is that he play for Tom Izzo. His AAU team played at Breslin last week and he put up 31 in front of Izzo earning the offer. Kid loves MSU. Pay no attention to his current ranking, kid has a chance to be a McDonald's All American.

2019 5 star #1 player in the country, Vernon Carey is taking his first official visit to MSU the weekend of February 11th. Duke, us, and Miami are the 3 main contenders.

Romeo Weems is announcing Tuesday. Highly expected to pick MSU. Top 30-40 player in the country. Versatile 3 or a stretch 4.

So he?s going to Duke. Got it.

I don't think dook recruits 4 stars, if they do they're apparently not focused on Weems (no offer). Maybe he'll switch if he gets upgraded to a 5. Strange offer/interest list for a top 40 player MSU, DePaul, uofm, ohio state, Wisco rutgers, az st, oregon an mizzzou. Other than KU who hasn't extended an offer, there's no blue blood programs recruiting him - no Kentucky, Arizona, dook, unc, etc.

Romeo Weems is announcing Tuesday. Highly expected to pick MSU. Top 30-40 player in the country. Versatile 3 or a stretch 4.

Kid picked DePaul. Have your ?sources? ever been right? Might be time to save your money on that 247/spartan tailgate/RCMB(or whatever they call that) membership renewal. Sean Scherer is flipping coins. Always claims to be in the know and is rarely correct.

Looks bad given that he's a SE Michigan kid who Izzo recruited for awhile but maybe not the worst thing that he went elsewhere. Sounds like his profile is that of an undersized 4 with good athleticism and so-so at best ball skills. Also maybe a questionable attitude. Got outplayed pretty badly by Bingham in the State Class B semi-finals and did not deal with that in the most mature way.

all the prediction BS aside, what the heck is this kid doing picking DePaul - seems like a total waste. He could have gone to a number of schools other than MSU and not faded away into obscurity the way he will at DePaul.

This could be a great class. We already landed a 5 star PG in Rocket Watts, the #32 overall player in the country.

Looks like we have a good shot to land 1 of either Vernon Carey, 6-10, 275 lb center who is the #2 player in the nation or Isaiah Stewart, 6-9, 245 lb Center who is the #5 overall player in the country.

We are getting the last visit for #21 overall player in Keion Brooks, 6-8 SF.
Malik Hall is another player we could land, #52 overall prospect as a 6-7 SF.

I'd guess we land Stewart and Brooks. Would be a monster class if we do.

why can't we get a PG with any size? It's almost as if Izzo won't recruit a PG unless he's under 6'2" (listed, but 6' or less actual).

I realize Izzo has come out looking ok so far with the federal case. But with the whole thing being out there so blatantly, I have a hard time following any bball recruiting now. Every 5 start recruit has me leery, even if I want to trust Izzo. Am I the only one feeling that way?

Last edited:
I realize Izzo has come out looking ok so far with the federal case. But with the whole thing being out there so blatantly, I have a hard time following any bball recruiting now. Every 5 start recruit has me leery, even if I want to trust Izzo. Am I the only one feeling that way?

what is it about 5 star recruits that makes you leery?

As for Izzo, it's clear he was above board on virtually all these situations - low information knuckleheads in the press and from the uofm board have tried their best to tie it all together with the Nasser case but everything I've read indicated Izzo followed the book to the letter with each situation involving his players.

This could be a great class. We already landed a 5 star PG in Rocket Watts, the #32 overall player in the country.

Looks like we have a good shot to land 1 of either Vernon Carey, 6-10, 275 lb center who is the #2 player in the nation or Isaiah Stewart, 6-9, 245 lb Center who is the #5 overall player in the country.

We are getting the last visit for #21 overall player in Keion Brooks, 6-8 SF.
Malik Hall is another player we could land, #52 overall prospect as a 6-7 SF.

I'd guess we land Stewart and Brooks. Would be a monster class if we do.

Why do you think we land Brooks? According to Rivals, he's taking 3 visits IU, UCLA and UNC - not MSU. Is that not correct? Both Rivals and 247 have him heavily favored to pick IU.

Last edited:
what is it about 5 star recruits that makes you leery?

As for Izzo, it's clear he was above board on virtually all these situations - low information knuckleheads in the press and from the uofm board have tried their best to tie it all together with the Nasser case but everything I've read indicated Izzo followed the book to the letter with each situation involving his players.

It's not Izzo that I see as a problem. It's the entire system. You look at some of these cases, and it's not even as simple as a school paying to land a recruit. In some cases, it's Nike (or any other third party) exerting influence and throwing around dollar signs. The system seems so corrupt to it's core, that it's almost impossible to feel good about landing any top prospect. I mean, even ignoring the current federal case, it's really hard to catch the kinds of things we know are happening (teachers changing or simply giving unearned grades, boosters paying family bills, literally hiring prostitutes to sway opinion).

I trust Izzo, but I've given up on trusting large institutions. Whose to say we don't have a runner behind the scenes that Izzo is purposely kept ignorant of? Not that they are related, but the Nassar case does tell you something about the people in charge of the school. It's something you might argue most any large institution commits, but that's why it's hard to trust big institutions.

If I see one side (recruiting trail) is painfully corrupt, and I see the other (multi-million dollar institutions) have a track record of deceit, it's hard not to see the match (even if it doesn't exist).

Why do you think we land Brooks? According to Rivals, he's taking 3 visits IU, UCLA and UNC - not MSU. Is that not correct? Both Rivals and 247 have him heavily favored to pick IU.

Rivals has it wrong, he's giving MSU his last visit some time in Novemeber and then making a decisions.

"They have been recruiting for a long time now," Brooks said. "Feels like they are family. Plus it doesn?t hurt that they have Hall of fame coach (Tom) Izzo."

"I could see myself fitting in and playing for Michigan State," Brooks said "They have a system with freedoms and they let their players play. It seems fun to be playing in a system like that."

Rivals has it wrong, he's giving MSU his last visit some time in Novemeber and then making a decisions.

"They have been recruiting for a long time now," Brooks said. "Feels like they are family. Plus it doesn?t hurt that they have Hall of fame coach (Tom) Izzo."

"I could see myself fitting in and playing for Michigan State," Brooks said "They have a system with freedoms and they let their players play. It seems fun to be playing in a system like that."

I hope you're right. I have to say the last quote surprises me a bit. I wonder if Davis or JJJ would agree with him on that point.

SF Malik Hall is announcing tomorrow night and the ballz are trending MSU in a big way. He was once through to be a Purdue lock. #52 player in the class.

Isaiah Stewart, 5 star C also thought to be a strong MSU lean now. He's the #5 overall player in the country.

We're getting Vernon Carey's last official visit before he makes a decision, 5 star C, #2 player in the country.

Yes, we'd take both Stewart and Carey.

Keion Brooks might be trending to UK.

Watts, Hall, Stewart would be a great class along with a 4th that could be Carey.

Back