Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Worst Anti-Science BS of 2017

97% of scientists world wide think Global warming is real and yet the masses believe the GOP Fixed news propaganda, and the right biblical playbook. It is sad we let religion in politics, and give them so much control.

Not so much about what was happening on Earth climate-wise, and the film was set in the rainy Pacific Northwest, where coincidentally most tech companies are located. I haven't watched the long delayed sequel yet, although I do have a downloaded bootleg copy of it.

Nah, Blade Runner wasn't about climate change; that shit wasn't around at the time.

Blade Runner is about one of the oldest themes ever; likely best captured in Mary Shelly's Frankenstein- man's disconnection from a negligent, selfish and absent creator, and man's desire to reconnect with that entity.

Interesting that the whole "gender is a social construct not rooted in biology" is missing from this list. Or the World Health Organization saying gender dysmorphia is no longer a mental disorder but playing video games excessively is. Science!

Maybe this has something to do with post #2 of this thread.

Last edited:
Nah, Blade Runner wasn't about climate change; that shit wasn't around at the time.

Blade Runner is about one of the oldest themes ever; likely best captured in Mary Shelly's Frankenstein- man's disconnection from a negligent, selfish and absent creator, and man's desire to reconnect with that entity.

I read an article saying that the Blade Runner sequel is about climate change - it was included in a list of climate change alarmist films of 2017 that were box office busts.

"list of climate change alarmist films"

Must be a great publication.

I read an article saying that the Blade Runner sequel is about climate change - it was included in a list of climate change alarmist films of 2017 that were box office busts.

Oh.

Well when Blade Runner was released in 1982, it was right around the time of the end of a several decade long period of cooling average global temperatures which had people talking about the dawning of a new ice age.

"list of climate change alarmist films"

Must be a great publication.

it was an article posted on Drudge, don't see it there anymore and don't recall the source. It listed films like Iconvenient Sequel, Downsizing, Bladerunner, Mother! and Geostorm.

is it not a valid topic? Hollywood leftists keep preaching their favorite pet cause both from the pulpit and in their productions. An article pointing out how out of touch they are with their audience when these films keep failing doesn't seem that odd to me.

Edit: bing found it - it was the Washington Times. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/28/global-warming-films-flop-box-office-2017/

Last edited:
Oh.

Well when Blade Runner was released in 1982, it was right around the time of the end of a several decade long period of cooling average global temperatures which had people talking about the dawning of a new ice age.

just found and reread the article - the author says that Mother! and Blade Runner 2049 touch on climate change in more subtle ways. Apologies if I gave the wrong impression about BR 2049 being about climate change - I haven't seen it and had been a few days since I read the article when I wrote that post.

it was an article posted on Drudge, don't see it there anymore and don't recall the source. It listed films like Iconvenient Sequel, Downsizing, Bladerunner, Mother! and Geostorm.

is it not a valid topic? Hollywood leftists keep preaching their favorite pet cause both from the pulpit and in their productions. An article pointing out how out of touch they are with their audience when these films keep failing doesn't seem that odd to me.

It's not a valid topic. Journalists can't go 2 seconds without being alarmist with regard to just about everything, but the need to change how we impact our environment is dire. Far more important than quibbling over who goes too far in raising the alarm.

It's not a valid topic. Journalists can't go 2 seconds without being alarmist with regard to just about everything, but the need to change how we impact our environment is dire. Far more important than quibbling over who goes too far in raising the alarm.

so maybe someone should write an article telling people to go see these movies instead of pointing out to these tone deaf celebrity pundits that they're preaching to their audience at their peril.

film critics write articles about films and they write about the business aspect as well as the entertainment side. There's nothing wrong with the theme of this piece.

so maybe someone should write an article telling people to go see these movies instead of pointing out to these tone deaf celebrity pundits that they're preaching to their audience at their peril.

film critics write articles about films and they write about the business aspect as well as the entertainment side. There's nothing wrong with the theme of this piece.

No. It's not an either or. I've seen zero of these films, but the two choices aren't to push people towards or away from them. You don't have to lump them together and write about them as a group in the first place. If you want to say something about the climate, being another stupid voice focusing on what you think is most stupid doesn't help. It's just more of the BS polarizing everything. Either stupid and wrong or focusing on something that's stupid and wrong to discredit by association something that's right.

Worrying about climate change alarmism is a means to discredit the actual threat without addressing it directly.

If you do it with an awareness of what you are doing, it is immoral.

No. It's not an either or. I've seen zero of these films, but the two choices aren't to push people towards or away from them. You don't have to lump them together and write about them as a group in the first place. If you want to say something about the climate, being another stupid voice focusing on what you think is most stupid doesn't help. It's just more of the BS polarizing everything. Either stupid and wrong or focusing on something that's stupid and wrong to discredit by association something that's right.

Worrying about climate change alarmism is a means to discredit the actual threat without addressing it directly.

If you do it with an awareness of what you are doing, it is immoral.

That was sarcasm - I don't think it's binary. I just don't think there's really anything wrong with pointing out alarmism is a failure at the box office.

I couldn't disagree more on the rest of this. The alarmism is exactly why real needed change isn't happening. Idiots like Al Gore getting rich off of lies detracts from real problems and things people should be concerned about. The negative affects of waste, the pollution of the air we breath, the water we drink and the food we eat get thrown out with all the disproved myths propagated by the alarmist as just more bullshit.

Last edited:
That was sarcasm - I don't think it's binary. I just don't think there's really anything wrong with pointing out alarmism is a failure at the box office.

I couldn't disagree more on the rest of this. The alarmism is exactly why real needed change isn't happening. Idiots like Al Gore getting rich off of lies detracts from real problems and things people should be concerned about. The negative affects of waste, the pollution of the air we breath, the water we drink and the food we eat get thrown out with all the disproved myths propagated by the alarmist as just more bullshit.

How are the alarmists preventing change? I'm frustrated with people that go too far because they open the door to backlash, but it's the people actually driving the backlash that are the bigger problem, not the people that give them an excuse. If there was no Al Gore, these people would just pick something else as an excuse. Which side of the argument justifies rolling back EPA regulations? Which side of the argument justifies "Drill Baby Drill" or "Beautiful Clean Coal"? It's immoral horseshit.

How are the alarmists preventing change? I'm frustrated with people that go too far because they open the door to backlash, but it's the people actually driving the backlash that are the bigger problem, not the people that give them an excuse. If there was no Al Gore, these people would just pick something else as an excuse. Which side of the argument justifies rolling back EPA regulations? Which side of the argument justifies "Drill Baby Drill" or "Beautiful Clean Coal"? It's immoral horseshit.

the boy who cried wolf - if high profile alarmists continuously lie about anthropogenic climate change it's not surprising that people discount valid arguments. but it's not just the other side that's discounting them - the alarmists are so fixated on the bs 97% and global warming, they're drowning out the sane voices talking about real problems.

Just because there's a regulation in place, doesn't mean it's doing any good - or that it's not actually doing harm. I'm for rolling back epa regulations if they don't accomplish anything other than driving up energy prices.

But I don't have to directly experience the effects of climate change in the weather outdoors every day to know that its real, not to mention the distinct lack of varied bird species, bats, squirrels, and beneficial insects like spiders, honeybees, bumblebees, and butterlies where I live now, less than 2 miles from my childhood home in the 60s, when such natural diversity in my neighborhood was once plentiful.

what are the side effects of geo engineering and insecticides?

i'm more worried about another Maunder Minimum than I am bogus man made AGW theory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5227073/Could-face-mini-ice-age-30-years.html

Last edited:
the boy who cried wolf - if high profile alarmists continuously lie about anthropogenic climate change it's not surprising that people discount valid arguments. but it's not just the other side that's discounting them - the alarmists are so fixated on the bs 97% and global warming, they're drowning out the sane voices talking about real problems.

Just because there's a regulation in place, doesn't mean it's doing any good - or that it's not actually doing harm. I'm for rolling back epa regulations if they don't accomplish anything other than driving up energy prices.

Refresh my memory. The boy who cried wolf was about a kid that saw wolves, and tried to warn people, and then the press said there were red wolves because they wanted more people to click on the story, and then everybody laughed because there weren't any red wolves in the region, and then the wolves (which happened to be grey wolves) killed all the livestock, and then the village people all laughed with delight because they were more convinced than ever that there were no red wolves...if that's how it went, we've in total agreement.

Last edited:
Refresh my memory. The boy who cried wolf was about a kid that saw wolves, and tried to warn people, and then the press said there were red wolves because they wanted more people to click on the story, and then everybody laughed because there weren't any red wolves in the region, and then the wolves (which happened to be grey wolves) killed all the livestock, and then the village people all laughed with delight because they were more convinced than ever that there were no red wolves...if that's how it went, we've in total agreement.

I think this is the paint fumes.

That is super funny even though Al Gore was already rich before he made these movies were made , and yet the oil and gas and agricultural companies make over a BILLION times what Gore did making a movie at least trying to explain what's happening to the planet .. Hey I hope your right and it's nothing but the data suggest otherwise. Pretty funny blasting Gore and not where it truly belongs .. But that's a you problem and your wrong on Global warming.

Last edited:
Back