Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan officially hires Jim McElwain

Looks like WR coach and will assist with offensive game planning. Sounds like not playcalling.

FWIW, WIkipedia lists him as our current WR AND OC.

I don't know much about McElwain, other than what I read in his wikipedia entry.

His first year at UF he went 10-4, but that included 3 straight blowout losses to end the season, basically showing how garbage the SEC East is.

Then he hired Nussmeier, but managed to still go 9-4, with some decent wins, including blowing out that really good Iowa team.

Then the Gators fell apart and he was fired midseason...

before that he did oK at CSU, and was at Bama... and...

AAAAAH!!! The dreaded John L Smith connection. WTF ?!?!

his career is very John L Smith-like... success in the mid-majors, a good first year or two, then massive failure on the Big Stage.

Well I don't like it but whatever if we start to win all will be forgiven. But I am getting to get the feeling that Harbaugh is grasping at straws. Year 4 and we have no qb . our offense line is a mess . We blow big leads . Can't beat msu and osu. I'm tired of losing .

Last edited:

ah.... fuck.

Yeah, as I watch how things have gone this offseason, I really don't know WTF Harbaugh COULD be thinking, let alone what he is thinking.

Only silver lining in the links you posted (that I can see), in the landof10 write up:
As an offensive play caller and assistant, McElwain has graded out as a B, historically, in McClintock’s database on the merits — again, or lack thereof — of stints with the Bulldogs (2007) and Crimson Tide (2008 to 2011).
“meh” probably would be considered a step up, at this point. And the role of Wolverines’ primary play caller still resides in the mitts of Tim Drevno, who was one of seven Big Ten offensive coordinators McClintock assigned an F grade for 2017 based on their production relative to talent.

Of those seven, only Drevno, Michigan State’s Jim Bollman and Minnesota’s Kirk Ciarrocca are still in the same positions they held last August...

if Harbaugh pulls playcalling duties from Drevno, and if McElwain just performs... OK... like 4-5 scoring drives per game, at least 3 of which are TDs, we should be okay... like 10-3/11-2 okay.

that assumes, of course, that the "Drevno is a negative influence on the staff and players" rumors are false, and nothing drags offensive performance from "average" to "mediocre" or "horrendous" like it was last season.

Or alternatively, according to my colleague, coaching matters very little, and they just gotta find someone who can play QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's just put it this way, Alabama wasn't winning before he became Offensive Coordinator. But they did win 2 National Championships while he was. 2015 Gators probably go to National Championship with Will Grier still playing. The week after he was suspended they lost to LSU 35-28 in Baton Rouge. With shitty Treon Harris as quarterback it was 15-7 Alabama late in the 3rd quarter in the SEC Championship. Florida's defense was dominating this game in the 1st half until they wore down with no offense. Harris was 9 of 24 on the day with an int and 1 td. They also crushed a very good Ole Miss(#9 at end of year) team 38-10 a couple weeks after Ole Miss had beaten Bama(with Grier). Point being, give McElwain a game Manager, and he puts his team's in position to win. He had no qb for what equaled 2 seasons before he got fired midseason. Florida was 4-8 and 7-5 the previous two years before he arrived in Gainesville. So, he did something right. Will Muschamp couldn't win the so called shitty SEC East, while he was there. This is a can't lose hire. He is tons better then Drevno, so it can't get any worse. I remember a guy named Jed Fisch being catapulted from the Jacksonville Jaguars because they sucked so bad on offense. He came here and was pretty darn good. He leaves and we end up with a slew of issues in the passing game. I say McElwain can only help this stagnant offense, especially if Patterson is cleared.

Well I don't like it but whatever if we start to win all will be forgiven. But I am getting to get the feeling that Harbaugh is grasping at straws. Year 4 and we have no qb . our offense line is a mess . We blow big leads . Can't beat msu and osu. I'm tired of losing .

:hmm:

MGoBlog seems to think the son going to Vandy IS the news, which has resulted in click bait headlines being written to be misinterpreted.

MGoBlog seems to think the son going to Vandy IS the news, which has resulted in click bait headlines being written to be misinterpreted.

Sam Webb has mentioned that more coach shuffling is coming. Hopefully it's Drevno shuffling his ass out the door. Make Ed Warriner the OL coach.

Last edited:
Sam Webb has mentioned that more coach shuffling is coming. Hopefully it's Drevno shuffling his ass out the door. Make Ed Warriner the OL coach.

could be that given the length of their time together, Harbaugh told Drevno to look for another job, but won't fire him?

or maybe gave him until spring or something like that to find a new job?

given the number of guys on staff on offense (five counting Warriner) seems like that's enough to at least fill all the offensive staff roles, (QBs, WRs, RBs, TEs, OL) whether or not we replace Drevno.

could be that given the length of their time together, Harbaugh told Drevno to look for another job, but won't fire him?

or maybe gave him until spring or something like that to find a new job?

given the number of guys on staff on offense (five counting Warriner) seems like that's enough to at least fill all the offensive staff roles, (QBs, WRs, RBs, TEs, OL) whether or not we replace Drevno.

Drevno is goneeeeeee

So...McElwain to OC now I'm guessing. Probably the plan all along, but Harbaugh was trying to give Drevno time to find something else.

Back