Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Anyone have a kindle

dannydiggler

I'm thinking of getting one and wanted to know If you can load pdf's from your computer to them...

The short answer is YES. The Long answer is YES :)

Just need to connect with a USB and good to go. I'm not sure if it's drag and drop or put them in a certain folder etc. I don't own one but I've read a lot about them.

Also, I should note, not sure about all but a know the kindle touch isn't great with PDF's.

I don't have a Kindle, but I have an Android based e-reader and tablet, and I can download PDF's.

I have a Nextbook Premium 8, and paid $159.99 for it which is only slightly more than a Kindle, just less than a Kindle Fire.

My advice is to go with a more full-featured tablet than a standard Kindle/Nook, because you can find some great deals that make the price difference almost nil.

A tablet is probably better than a kindle for PDFs. Nook could be a good idea. The new Nook Simple Touch, $99, though I honestly don't know how readable PDFs work.

Butt if you're looking more than PDFs and books, no kindle or Nook.

I was just looking to get one for books. What's wrong with the kindle touch?

[color=#551A8B said:
Danny Diggler[/color]]I was just looking to get one for books. What's wrong with the kindle touch?

Its a nice unit but from what I've read and seen it doesn't seem to handle PDF very well. But I'm just one opinion, so google or YouTube it you might get a better idea.

I have a tablet, Xoom, but for awhile I've been looking at a kindle for reading books, longer battery life and most importantly reading in the sun. I've narrowed it down to the Kindle Touch and the new Nook Simple Touch (I like some of their features and like the form factor better). PDFs I read on my tablet so i don't need a kindle/nook for that -- just havent made up my mind yet but $99 bucks is a nice price. So many choices :)

Btw, your welcome.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Also, I should note, not sure about all but a know the kindle touch isn't great with PDF's.

I've got a Kindle DX specifically because I read pdfs that have charts. 95% of the time, I wish I had a smaller kindle...or more likely, one of the sony ereaders. If the issue is two column pdfs, some of the sony readers have a great two column pdf mode. It zooms in on a quarter of the page at a time and as you hit the page forward button, it goes top left-> bottom left -> top right -> bottom right.

Between my wife and myself we have:
A Kindle Reader (Wife's)
An Ad supported Kindle reader (Mine)
A Kindle Fire Tablet (Wife's)
iPad 2 (Mine)

For just reading the Kindle readers are better for battery life, dealing with sunlight/glare, cheaper, and smaller. We spend a lot of time outside so I use my Kindle a lot. The ad supported version is cheaper and is a pretty good deal. The ads do not interrupt reading or anything.

The Kindle Fire and iPad are better for reading in the dark and are just generally more useful.

I bought the Nook touch last winter, though I bought it so I could read outside on the deck when it got warmer. With today's great day, I read outside a bit and its freakin' awesome. I can see everything clearly unlike my tablet which is basically useless outside. And I got it for $69 :) .

Back