Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Science fiction and Fantasy Books

MI_Thumb said:
DR said:
I'm a big fan of The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. They're working on a movie deal for it, with Ron Howard directing, but it's currently in limbo. I really hope they do it right, if they're going to do it at all.

http://www.stephenking.com/DarkTower/

This the first 3 were far better then the rest though.

Also, the Talisman and Black House by King and Straub (Ghost story fame) are the first outside references outside of The Stand that mention the Crimson King or the Breakers, though several other books do later.

I actually liked the 4th one best, Wizards and Glass, but that was the first of the series that I read (then I went back and started from the beginning, and waited for the last three to come out) and that's probably the reason it stood out for me. I do agree it petered out toward the end.

I had thought about reading all the books with references and did start on the Talisman, but I don't think I ever finished it. I thought Black House was much more recent though?

DR said:
MI_Thumb said:
This the first 3 were far better then the rest though.

Also, the Talisman and Black House by King and Straub (Ghost story fame) are the first outside references outside of The Stand that mention the Crimson King or the Breakers, though several other books do later.

I actually liked the 4th one best, Wizards and Glass, but that was the first of the series that I read (then I went back and started from the beginning, and waited for the last three to come out) and that's probably the reason it stood out for me. I do agree it petered out toward the end.

I had thought about reading all the books with references and did start on the Talisman, but I don't think I ever finished it. I thought Black House was much more recent though?

Black house is more recent, 2001, and is set with the lead from the Talisman who was a child then, grown up and retired from the LAPD.

I read the Dark Tower series when Wizards and Glass came out also, but I did not read book 4 until I read the other in order (about 3 weeks, I read a lot) then the hard part was after reading all 4 books quickly, waiting years for the other installments.

MI_Thumb said:
Black house is more recent, 2001, and is set with the lead from the Talisman who was a child then, grown up and retired from the LAPD.

I read the Dark Tower series when Wizards and Glass came out also, but I did not read book 4 until I read the other in order (about 3 weeks, I read a lot) then the hard part was after reading all 4 books quickly, waiting years for the other installments.

I picked up book 4 at an airport news stand, needing something to read before a flight to Phoenix. It was pretty confusing at first, but it made learning the background of the characters in the first couple books even more interesting. But yeah, that wait was brutal.

Have you read any of the supplementary stuff he's put out since then? I know there is a comic book series, not sure what else.

No, I have not read any of the comics or other stuff yet, but I read so many books it's tough to stick to a specific author, so sometimes I don't read books until they are 2-3 years in paperback.

Also, I read the final bit in the last book, instead of putting it down like Kings reccomended, and was dissapointed that the true ending was that, well you know....was.

Soft Apocalypse, By Will Macintosh... Fun fast read about the near future when things go bad...LOL..

Leviathan Wakes, By James S. Corey 2011 Science fiction book... On the cover it was recommended by George R.R. Martin so that was good enough for me..

Corey is a pen name for Danial Abraham, and Ty Franck both are Martin assistants.

Hunters Run, 2004, by Geroge R.R Martin, Danial Abraham, and Gardner Dozois... Good book and in the end they talk about how they all worked on different parts of the book... Very fun read.

silverbullet97 said:
The series I just finished reading was the The Emberverse Series. I was pretty impressed with the first three. The next four are OK but they changed a bit. I will read the last few when they come out.

Looks good..I may have to give it a look... Thanks...

Just finished Retribution Falls, By Chris Wooding's. 2009. Just started the sequel called 'The Black Lung Captain.'... 2010... Nice Characters, and a fun read.

Reading The Hunger Games now. It is a quick light read, some good twists. Overall not bad, I'm sure it will be made into a super cheesy movie, which coincidentally is due out next summer.

cheeno said:
Reading The Hunger Games now. It is a quick light read, some good twists. Overall not bad, I'm sure it will be made into a super cheesy movie, which coincidentally is due out next summer.

Yeah I read all three books pretty fast... And you are correct in what you said about it...

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]http://www.npr.org/2011/08/11/139085843/your-picks-top-100-science-fiction-fantasy-books

http://thisrecording.com/today/2010/1/18/in-which-we-count-down-the-100-greatest-science-fiction-or-f.html

A couple of list for Science fiction books... Top 100 list...some great books on these lists...

Someone sent me the 1st 2 Hyperion books. #51 on the list. I liked the 1st one, BUT it feels like the 1st season of Lost. Maybe there's some awesome explanation for everything, or maybe it will end up like Lost did.

cheeno said:

i've read the books too. And actually, the movie comes out next month. Doesn't look too bad, just don't like Peeta's actor. He's in too many "kids" movies.

Just finished reading the final book, A Memory of Light, in the Wheel of Time series. The mammoth 14 book series was begun by Robert Jordan, who died before completing it; and Brandon Sanderson finished the last three books of the series based upon notes and outlines left by Jordan.

The book was very good, and the series is one I highly recommend. The middle books drag out the main storylines quite a bit, but the result is the the character development ends up making the main characters very real. Good book, good series.

Back