Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Trey Burke: Michigan Didn't Prepare Me

The checked out thing is what bothered me, assuming he wasn't misquoted. I remember having arguments about whether or not that would be a problem with him coming back on this board. The results didn't show an issue, but damn

I get on Beilein about the actual team, but I don't think there's a coach out there who does more in terms of getting his players prepared for the next level when it comes to the decision and helping with the process. That's a direct shot at him, IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe he should have stayed in college vs. leaving after his sophomore year.

What a POS

Burke: "I checked out". Burke: "Michigan did not prepare me." At least we know why he was "not prepared."

The checked out thing is what bothered me, assuming he wasn't misquoted. I remember having arguments about whether or not that would be a problem with him coming back on this board. The results didn't show an issue, but damn

you had that argument with me, and you were a jerk about it. But after we rode him to the title game, I was like "well DeathBallz knows basketball better than I do"

He checked out in his sophomore year? Yeah, Trey? Is that why you won the national player of the year? Sounds like you are trying to blame somebody for your shitty pro career! The truth is that if Beilein hadn't offered you, you'd be stuck at Penn state for 4-5 years with no pro prospects. So the food sucked. Get over it.

That's exactly what I said elsewhere. He could have been DJ Newbill and playing overseas.

Even being an MSU fan I actually liked to watch Burke play. His style of play is what I wish I could have been.

That said, didn't he have an opportunity, as a student athlete, to take finance classes while in school and after? I love when people blame others for what THEY should have been doing.

This just makes him sound bitter that his NBA career hasn't panned out as well as he hoped it would and that he seems to have blown his money.

Hey Trey.....making it rain at the strip club has a low ROI!!!!

I figure checked out meant in relation to school. And his focus solely on basketball

I do struggle with the food comment-come on we all lived in dorms and we all know the food. I also thought scholarship athletes had a meal card that had loud them some funds to go out to restaurants

As for preparing for the next level the head coach is most likely preparing them to be fine young man and productive members of society. The next leve for the majority of the team is regular life. I think Trey and his dad could've taken some initiative to try to find the right people to talk to.

I have an issue when you start asking the college sport to prepare the player for the pro sports-It is a select few that would even be going to that level. If you were talking about budgeting and dealing with people that have been an issue with the NBA going back to when kids were coming straight from high school. I think all the pro sports have an issue but the players don't pay attention.

Last edited:
The athletes' table at Michigan is famed for being superb. Don't know where this comes from? I've heard all of the stories about how athletes get to eat 24/7, dine on all the good stuff, and never have to pay a cent for it.

Maybe he shouldn't have left early...

Last edited:
you had that argument with me, and you were a jerk about it. But after we rode him to the title game, I was like "well DeathBallz knows basketball better than I do"
Michlady says the comment was about school so I still win.

This is disappointing to hear coming from him; never took him for a brat, which is what he sounds like here.

When I was a grad student at UM, I lived in one of the dorms and ate dining hall food most of the time. Certainly wasn't the worst food I've ever eaten, but then again I'll eat just about anything.

The athletes always had their own chef and cafeteria in SQ when I was a student, so none of them were forced with eating "dorm food."

And sorry Trey, but being short-sighted about life and going Pro before you were likely ready for ...life after ball ...that's not M's fault.

Ask Darius, Glenn III and MoMo Clarett

If it's true that we don't prepare athletes with adequate financial education, I'd really like to see that change. It's a very well known problem and not that difficult thing to teach. Something coaches should already insist on.

Yeah, you guys probably know a bit more about the food situation as former students, but I would venture a guess that the top flight sports (Basketball, football) provide pretty solid food choices for the athletes.

So the food sucked. Get over it.

He actually referred to the dorm food as "jail food."

Now in my recollection of the dorm for my day, most of the residents of the dorm were not black.

No college administrator blessed with white privilege is going to feed dorm students "jail food" unless almost all of them are black.

Back