Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hey Byco

Whoa there, Ignatius! never sold indulgences? I think Martin Luther and all of 16th century Germany might have a quibble with whatever technicality you're using to make that claim.

The Catholic Church never sold indulgences. The abuses you site with such relish were conducted by priests on their own and they were denounced by the Council of Trent, and banned in exchange for any financial transaction.

And many of those "abuses" were appeals to give alms in exchange for indulgences, the definition of which is as follows: "An indulgence is the extra-sacramental remission of the temporal punishment due, in God's justice, to sin that has been forgiven, which remission is granted by the Church in the exercise of the power of the keys, through the application of the superabundant merits of Christ and of the saints, and for some just and reasonable motive."

Source: Catholic Encyclopedia.

And please refrain from even in jest assigning me the name of a Saint like Ignatius, or any Saint. I am no saint.

Whoa there, Ignatius! never sold indulgences? I think Martin Luther and all of 16th century Germany might have a quibble with whatever technicality you're using to make that claim.

Byco is right, I was applying the fairly commonly known concept of "the sale of indulgences" somewhat loosely to continue in the humerous vein that I'm pretty sure you posted this thread and the OP in in the first place.

500 years after Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation and it's still too soon?

“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”

Venerable Bishop Fulton Sheen

Its kids being molested. Has nothing to do with them being Catholic priests. Pretty quick to paint Catholics as molesters and protectors of molesters with a pretty broad brush. So 1 billion people are protecting the molesters? If I saw one of them, I would do the same thing to them you would, so screw your holier than thou attitude.

Doesn't have anything to do with Catholicism.

Oh for fucksakes. Where did I state Catholics are molesters? SOME priests are. SOME higher ups hide said pedophiles. I think its complete bullshit. How these sick bastards aren't turned over to the police is beyond me. My apologies to you for having an attitude towards sick fuckers raping kids.

Oh for fucksakes. Where did I state Catholics are molesters? SOME priests are. SOME higher ups hide said pedophiles. I think its complete bullshit. How these sick bastards aren't turned over to the police is beyond me. My apologies to you for having an attitude towards sick fuckers raping kids.

My attitude is close to yours. Turn them over to police and let the "sick fuckers" rot. The clergy that covered them up can rot also.

You implied it right here - "Its kids being molested by Catholic priests." I guess I got wrapped up in the connotation created by putting "Catholic" in front of the perpetrator.

Giving it that level of importance when I would think those individuals are not really Catholic in any way, but are the lowest form of human.

Sorry, no more unhinged rants for today.

My attitude is close to yours. Turn them over to police and let the "sick fuckers" rot. The clergy that covered them up can rot also.

You implied it right here - "Its kids being molested by Catholic priests." I guess I got wrapped up in the connotation created by putting "Catholic" in front of the perpetrator.

Giving it that level of importance when I would think those individuals are not really Catholic in any way, but are the lowest form of human.

Sorry, no more unhinged rants for today.

Qualifying them as Catholic goes back to the OP. This whole thing started talking about Catholic priests.

Back