Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Brandon McCoy in MI

I'm kinda over this kid.

Why? He's had nothing but glowing things to say about MSU and Izzo. And he's said all along he wants to play with grea players. Also said he really wants to play with Bridges.

In the last few days Bridges decided to return. And Bell decided to lease Oregon meaning they lose 6 of their 8 man rotation.

McCoy would make getting rebounds very hard against us. He's the best rebounder in this class. And he went for 15 points and 13 boards in the Jordan Classic this weekend.

Why? He's had nothing but glowing things to say about MSU and Izzo. And he's said all along he wants to play with grea players. Also said he really wants to play with Bridges.

In the last few days Bridges decided to return. And Bell decided to lease Oregon meaning they lose 6 of their 8 man rotation.

McCoy would make getting rebounds very hard against us. He's the best rebounder in this class. And he went for 15 points and 13 boards in the Jordan Classic this weekend.

So why is he uncommitted still?

Its nice to hear hes visiting. That means there is consideration. After so many sure things falling to the wayside I just look at it as gravy if Bowen and or Mccoy sign. Swanigan and Jackson ( I was pretty sure on both) made me realize im not even going to cross my fingers but ill be very pleased if they materialize.

So why is he uncommitted still?

I think he wanted to see who was staying and leaving on his possible choices. Oregon lost basically their entire team now, so he could get to be the "man" there. Bridges returned, so he gets to play with that type of talent if he picks MSU. He's talked about wanting to play with great players a lot. He's making his final decision in the next week or so.

He didn't visit MSU today, he was passing through Detroit, he's already visited MSU a few times. Izzo is getting the last word with him though with his final in home coach's visit.

There's talk of UNLV too. McCoy has handlers who are pushing him to UNLV, but McCoy wants to go to MSU. This is one of those complicated recruitments, he has a lot of people pulling him in different directions. His family is from Chicago, but he and his mom moved to San Diego to play his senior season. He says distance from home is not a factor. He had a contact at Nike that was pushing him to Oregon or MSU (Nike schools), but that person left Nike.

McCoy would give us a huge team:
6-11, 244 McCoy
6-11, 225 Jackson
6-9, 250 Schilling
6-8, 255 Ward
6-8, 265 Tillman
6-7, 230 Bridges

That team would dominate the glass and the paint against anyone. Considering last year we had Nick Ward, Bridges, and Goins as our front court players at 6-8, 6-7, and 6-6 it's going to be fun this year.

Last edited:
McCoy had a mentor/advisor with the nickname of ICE who goes way back Marvin Menzies. If a player has an advisor named Ice, it?s highly unlikely that he ends up at MSU, couple that with the fact that it?s this late in the process you should have known that there was a 0% chance we get him.

When recruitments get late like this, there is a lot of playing one school against another, maybe leaking info that they like one program and then that ups the ante for the other. It might not be a big bag of cash but some kind of shortcut to a job with the program or some other kind of bargaining chip. He wasn?t coming here, he did like MSU a lot and if he was calling the shots in the recruitment we would have had more than a punchers chance, but there were a lot of other players involved and we didn?t have much of a chance.

Aside from those other factors, he didn?t make a ton of sense for our roster. We have Schilling, Jackson, Ward, Goins, Tillman, and possibly Carter. He?d still earn his share of minutes because he?s a NBA type talent but the roster situation didn?t make a ton of sense for him as soon as it became obvious that Schilling was going to return. He was a ?nice to have? guy and possibly a piece of a championship puzzle, but MSU needs a big guard more than it needs McCoy.

Back