Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

My Gaming Blog

The problem is that you have to keep on top of it. Every few months your knowledge is outdated.

True. I'm disabled now so it is harder to keep up. I read and build now and then..But when I was working, I had everything there. But there are so many instructions to learn how to .build on line..YouTube is your best friend.

:cheers:

Even if it was 20 hrs, at $2 a day, I'm still probably better off buying. By the time I get around to most games, they're usually $10-$20.

Yeah, ill see once It gets to 19.99. If it's a good game I could see playing a 2nd or third time. I've played uncharted a dozen times for each game..

True. I'm disabled now so it is harder to keep up. I read and build now and then..But when I was working, I had everything there. But there are so many instructions to learn how to .build on line..YouTube is your best friend.

:cheers:
Putting them together is the easy part. Building a balanced, stable, and reliable build is what separates the professional. Mathematical builds are very difficult and require knowledge and research on the software. Most off them I see are done wrong or people just don't have the bread. A lot of bad gaming boxes are being built by local places as well, mostly inferior hardware and poorly balanced.

Last edited:
Here is a link that is very informative.

https://caeai.com/resources/hpc-best-practices-structural-mechanics-part-i

Its a tad dated but still the concepts in the presentation can be useful with current hardware

Nice. I'm bookmarking that. Thanks. I used to have an educational ANSYS licence. Did some two-way solid-fluid interaction stuff. Really kick-ass that someone with my limited FEM/CFD background was able to get it to work when it was a research topic just a couple years prior. Commercially, that software would be $80k, or at least it was a few years ago. I think there's freeware out there getting close. It can be done, but I don't know if it can be done by me yet. Once the freeware is accessible, I imaging ANSYS will have to come down a bit.

I dont know how. I mean, not enough to tax the hardware. The kid just nails on it. Some customers want to overclock but kind of dumb because the hardware these days is incredible. The new Intel's are amazing. The video cards are awesome. I only use seasonic PSU, Asus motherboard, Corsair Vengeance ram, Intel SSD, WD Black spin drives. EVGA NVidia cards, and Asus or Sapphire AMD cards. Liquid cooling varies depending on enthusiast goals.

I build workstations as well for mathematicians, artists, and engineers. Those get very pricey. I have a small following and only customers that want and expect precision.

Is EVGA better now than they used to be? I swore I'd never buy them again after i had multiple motherboards and gfx cards either be DOA, never work right, or never work right and then burn out other components when they died. my current rig has an asus mobo with an FX-8320, but with a gigabyte gfx card (GTX 560), gskill ram, a samsung SSD, and an antec psu.

Is EVGA better now than they used to be? I swore I'd never buy them again after i had multiple motherboards and gfx cards either be DOA, never work right, or never work right and then burn out other components when they died. my current rig has an asus mobo with an FX-8320, but with a gigabyte gfx card (GTX 560), gskill ram, a samsung SSD, and an antec psu.
High quality, excellent return policy if registered. I have had very few returns.

Hard to beat a GTX 780 TI but I trust its the games you play.

95% of games can be played with a mid card..

High end cards are good for graphic design and things like that..for games it's overkill.

95% of games can be played with a mid card..

High end cards are good for graphic design and things like that..for games it's overkill.
Not always true. Monitor size, FPS, detailing and other settings can make a difference.

Not always true. Monitor size, FPS, detailing and other settings can make a difference.

Of course but you don't need a HE card. Gamers always think they need 60fps or higher, anything above 20-30 is perfectly fine in most instances. I'm not talking crysis or a 150 player raid.

The worst is someone who buys a HE machine for 4k to surf the web and play world of warcraft. Don't get me started with people who think they need more than 8 gigs of ram.

Hard to beat a GTX 780 TI but I trust its the games you play.

Actually, I just hate nvidia. My uncle used to work for them, but then they fucked him over so I refuse to buy their cards anymore (this was after I got my current card.)

Plus, nvidias drivers have been pissing me off. Im still using a version from last march because any newer driver partially destabilizes my system. dunno if theyve fixed that issue yet, a lot of people were having it when i googled it last.

Last edited:
Of course but you don't need a HE card. Gamers always think they need 60fps or higher, anything above 20-30 is perfectly fine in most instances. I'm not talking crysis or a 150 player raid.

The worst is someone who buys a HE machine for 4k to surf the web and play world of warcraft. Don't get me started with people who think they need more than 8 gigs of ram.

or an octaco...oh, wait.

ive always been fine with a mid-high end card. my monitor runs at 1680x1050 so the gtx 560 generally has no real issues with what i throw at it. not so far, at least.

Last edited:
Here is an example of one I am delivering tomorrow. High end, play any game, customer using as workstation as well for school. His Dad gave him a budget of 2K. This is at 1800 selling price. My cost is around 1050.

Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-01 RED LED Black ATX Mid Tower Gaming Computer Case

SeaSonic G Series SSR-550RM 550W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

ASUS Z97-C LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K

CORSAIR Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CML16GX3M2A1866C10

Intel 730 Series SSDSC2BP240G4R5 2.5" 240GB SATA 6Gb/s MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

WD BLACK SERIES WD1003FZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

LG Internal Super Multi Drive SATA Model GH24NSB0 - OEM

EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-2765-KR GeForce GTX 760 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support w/ EVGA ACX Cooler Video Card

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit - OEM

Last edited:
whats 8.1 like? i'm still on 7 because 8 pissed me off so much (and also because i got some 7 pro keys in college from the computer club and have no wish to buy 8)

Last edited:
whats 8.1 like? i'm still on 7 because 8 pissed me off so much (and also because i got some 7 pro keys in college from the computer club and have no wish to buy 8)
It sucks in my opinion but it is fast. I installed Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix for this customer to give it the feel of 7. He gave me his college key for the 8.1 was the reason I installed it.

Last edited:
Good system but I think I would have went with a stronger PSU especially if he plans on a crossfire.

I've tried 8.1 and it is indeed fast..I still don't like it though.

Good system but I think I would have went with a stronger PSU especially if he plans on a crossfire.

I've tried 8.1 and it is indeed fast..I still don't like it though.
That PSU will run any card out there on the market. Customer does not plan on SLI at this time. There is not a better PSU in it's range

That PSU will run any card out there on the market. Customer does not plan on SLI at this time. There is not a better PSU in it's range

I agree. I just hope he doesn't do SLI at this time or he'll need a bigger psu. I still would have went bigger, nothing wrong with spending a bit more for more power. It's as important as any component there is..

Back