Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Scott Weiland died

Michchamp

Died on his new band's tour bus; no cause of death reported, but he's battled drug addiction for years. link.

I worked in a store that sold amplifiers and speakers in the 90's. The demos were set up with 4 or 5 songs you could pick and they were set to a Stone Temple Pilots song about 75% of the time. You'd think, with that much exposure, I'd be sick of it, but I'm not. Definitive 90's music.

was reading some obits about him at lunch. I didn't realize these guys (stp) got as much shit as they did. i always considered them a solid band. I never thought of them as derivative of anyone else.

I watched that awful, awful VH1 special a while ago where the surviving members of the Doors played a bunch of their hits with a different celebrity singer standing in for each one. the only one who nailed it was Weiland. i don't remember all the others, but perry farrel was one and he sucked. the guy from days of the new was as well and he sucked too.

you're right about them being a big part of the 90's. i really feel like listening to the acoustic version of plush now.

speaking of 90's legends... my wife and i went to see Chris Cornell's solo show in Chicago before we moved. was pretty great. i highly recommend seeing it in person. we were on the young side of the crowd, who ranged up into their late 40's it looked like. still felt a lot of solidarity with them; was weird in a way, but a good feeling. Gen X is going gray, but we're still alright.

They mentioned on the radio this morning that he's the second member (and likely last) of his band (The Wildabouts) to OD and die on tour this year.

Pretty sad, I'm a big fan of STP, and Velvet Revolver.

speaking of 90's legends... my wife and i went to see Chris Cornell's solo show in Chicago before we moved. was pretty great. i highly recommend seeing it in person. we were on the young side of the crowd, who ranged up into their late 40's it looked like. still felt a lot of solidarity with them; was weird in a way, but a good feeling. Gen X is going gray, but we're still alright.

Cornell can hit some notes. On more than one occasion, singing alone in a car, I've horribly mangled the 1st half of song song he's singing on the radio. By the 2nd half, my voice is toast.

Cornell can hit some notes. On more than one occasion, singing alone in a car, I've horribly mangled the 1st half of song song he's singing on the radio. By the 2nd half, my voice is toast.

I was pretty amazed by that myself. I didnt see him drink any water during the entire show or take any breaks. and he spoke to the audience a lot between songs as well. his vocal cords must be made of steel.

a couple years ago I saw Henry Rollins spoken word show. he went for four hours straight, talking, yelling, and ranting... no breaks, no pauses for water, etc. I told my friend if I tried to do that, my throat would feel like someone took a sheet of sandpaper to it by the end of hour two.

I guess that's why these guys do what they do.

Back