Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Pistons sign Langston Galloway - 3 years, $21 million

everyoneneedsasmil

No one else seemed to bring it up, but the Pistons did make a "move" in free agency, picking up a competent but extremely limited backup guard. Galloway is a potentially above average three point shooter (more likely average) who plays potentially good defense (last year he seemed to take a step back defensively).

At 6'2", Galloway is better suited to play PG, but has been asked more recently to play SG. Where the Pistons intend to play him is anyone's guess. At best, he's depth insurance if KCP leaves in FA or Jackson is traded. 7 million a year doesn't mean what it used to, but this seems like another waste of money for a player that is not going to contribute in any meaningful way. He's a replacement level player who is unlikely to outperform what is normally found from minimum salary vets.

Last edited:
This is what you get in today's NBA when you're not a superstar studded team.. A backup guard.

This is what you get in today's NBA when you're not a superstar studded team.. A backup guard.

This isn't true though. This is just what poorly managed teams do, spending to fix problems that don't exist instead of addressing the problems they can't figure out.

This isn't true though. This is just what poorly managed teams do, spending to fix problems that don't exist instead of addressing the problems they can't figure out.

We could have had the greatest GM in the world and no way would we get a Paul George. Those guys go to other teams who already have a superstar..

We could have had the greatest GM in the world and no way would we get a Paul George. Those guys go to other teams who already have a superstar..

Paul George probably isn't the best analogy here because he was traded based on which team offered the best deal at the time. He didn't choose OKC. Now if you wanted to say we wouldn't have landed Chris Paul, I'm 110% with you.

Having a good GM ideally is about having someone who drafts well and understands the cap well enough not to hand out bad contracts. Drafting well creates the foundation for your team. Managing your cap gives you the opportunity to take on those stars that other teams failed to build around.

Paul George probably isn't the best analogy here because he was traded based on which team offered the best deal at the time. He didn't choose OKC. Now if you wanted to say we wouldn't have landed Chris Paul, I'm 110% with you.

Having a good GM ideally is about having someone who drafts well and understands the cap well enough not to hand out bad contracts. Drafting well creates the foundation for your team. Managing your cap gives you the opportunity to take on those stars that other teams failed to build around.

But I suspect he has some kind of decision making where he can say which team he's traded too..

Why would he have any input on where he's traded?

Just a guess.. Maybe he has a no trade clause. He was leaving anyway so it made sense the GM accommodate him so they could get something..

Just a guess.. Maybe he has a no trade clause. He was leaving anyway so it made sense the GM accommodate him so they could get something..

I don't think he had any no trade clauses. Last I heard it was only Dirk, Melo and LeBron that had a total no trade clause.

I don't think he had any no trade clauses. Last I heard it was only Dirk, Melo and LeBron that had a total no trade clause.

You might be right.. I'm used to baseball where it seems everyone has a no trade clause..

Pistons are so stupid. This guy is a turd. They need to just sign some undrafted free agents to league minimum contracts to fill the roster. Trade Drummond for expiring contracts, get rid of Jackson and start from scratch. There isn't a single player on this roster that is worth getting excited over.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2530572/langston-galloway

He appears to be an undersized shooting guard. He did shoot 47% from 3 last year so SVG probably saw that and got all exited.

Actually, he shot 39% from three last year. He was trade mid-year and shot 47% for Sacramento, but in just 19 games which is a tiny sample size. Galloway actually is probably an average to above average 3 pt shooter. The real problem is he can't hit the broad side of a barn inside the 3 pt line (under 40% overall FG). Also, despite only having 3 years in the league, he's already 25. He's not likely to get any better.

Actually, he shot 39% from three last year. He was trade mid-year and shot 47% for Sacramento, but in just 19 games which is a tiny sample size. Galloway actually is probably an average to above average 3 pt shooter. The real problem is he can't hit the broad side of a barn inside the 3 pt line (under 40% overall FG). Also, despite only having 3 years in the league, he's already 25. He's not likely to get any better.

I didn't see that the 3pt % was just for one team and only 19 games. Hopefully SVG didn't make the same mistake I made

Back