Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Google engineer fired for diversity echo chamber memo

HAHAHA. Funny. But you can't dispute the garbage that the Big Three was foisting on the public.

That's true. Actually, that was (in my opinion) where M&B got his impression. It was true for all the vehicles he saw as a kid, but as things changed, the stereotype held.

so the guy who wrote this essay and got fired by google (Damore) went on a rambling, barely coherent twitter rant about admiring the KKK for having titles like "grand wizard," and how he thought this risked getting Dungeons and Dragons fans like him interested in joining the Klan. he was not joking. his rant is actually even worse than I'm making it sound.

someone screen shotted a bunch of his tweets with the caption "remember all those essays about how STEM majors were the future and humanities majors were useless?"

you read too much Salon. Having read your lies and misrepresentations enough times, I "checked the tape" and as usual, you're completely wrong. It's not even close to what you're making it sound like.
First, it's not a rant, it's not incoherent at all. It's more like a train of thought. At worst, it's a bad analogy but there's nothing close to an endorsement of any kind and he does a pretty good job of clearing up the misunderstanding if you read the follow up tweets.

And you don't need a screenshot, the tweets are right there (as of this posting) on his twitter feed.

https://twitter.com/JamesADamore

Last edited:
I don't want to make a bigger deal out of this than you think I do.

he's (probably) not a bad guy, just an earnest twenty-something struggling to figure out how the world works, confused that reality doesn't quite match what one expects growing up with a suburban, middle class upbringing. He is however making the terrible mistake of having this play out publicly on the web, and social media. oops!

on the other hand, if there were any lingering questions about the competence of the guy who wrote the memo... yeah.

Not making a bigger deal out of this is a good policy. the guy isn't confused, he's not bigoted against women, he makes fact based arguments, isn't ranting. he's making good sense bringing up logical points, challenging inconsistencies, false narratives and misrepresented facts. But people who disagree with him employ the same tactics you employ which is to impugn his character, make him sound irrational and unhinged rather than engage in fact based arguments. The memo and now twitter feed are being intentionally misrepresented so they can be dismissed offhand. It's disingenuous and lazy.

Last edited:
HAHAHA. Funny. But you can't dispute the garbage that the Big Three was foisting on the public.

Yeah, the "worst cars ever" many of which in vg-mint condition sell for $100K or more, the rarest of the classic muscle cars going for million$ @ auction. How many ricers of the 70s are coveted by collectors?

Murka wanted big gas-guzzlers, until the Arab oil embargo, which coincidentally was at ~the same time that Japan entered the market with their small, cheap, cc engined, legacy/duty free imports.

Last edited:
Yeah, the "worst cars ever" many of which in vg-mint condition sell for $100K or more, the rarest of the classic muscle cars going for million$ @ auction. How many ricers of the 70s are coveted by collectors?

Murka wanted big gas-guzzlers, until the Arab oil embargo, which coincidentally was at ~the same time that Japan entered the market with their small, cheap, cc engined, legacy/duty free imports.

how many 1970s American muscle cars are highly sought after? Most 1970s corvettes sell for well under $50k (mostly in the teens and low 20s). The demand is mostly for late 50s and 60s models - American manufacturers were building and selling crap in the 70s under the planned obsolescence model. There's a reason the Japanese kicked our asses and it wasn't just mileage.

I don't want to go back to read the original document, but my impression after reading it was that the elements of it that push for some kind of action did not seek to do away with efforts aimed at encouraging women to play larger roles in the workforce, but instead to open the programs to men and women, because if they are good for women, they are also good for men. It's a bit of a weird line of thinking, but still, it's not the same thing as what's been portrayed.

Back