Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Apparently alcohol abuse is increasing dramatically among Americans

Michchamp

Jeez, these days if people aren't pill-popping themselves to death, they're drinking themselves into a stupor! #MAGA Trump! link.

In scientific papers, what the US calls a 'drink' contains about 40% more alcohol than what the UK calls a 'drink'.

I think it's 12 oz of 5% abv. So to qualify for this study, if you drink 12 oz beers, you could add the abv numbers and if you get to 25 (for men), you're binging. If you drink pints, the sum of abv's drops to 18.75.

so... what you're saying is only people who drink 25 beers or more in one sitting have a drinking problem?

that seems a little extreme

That's a lot of carbs.

A person should change out some of the beers for shots of whiskey instead.

That's a lot of carbs.

A person should change out some of the beers for shots of whiskey instead.
I've been thinking of switching to liquor myself, but I just can't decide which one. I've tried gin a couple times with the intention of drinking gin and tonics, but after the first one I always end up switching to orange juice, so not only am I taking in calories but also the sugar is sky-high. I wonder what the caloric content of grain alcohol is?

I've been thinking of switching to liquor myself, but I just can't decide which one. I've tried gin a couple times with the intention of drinking gin and tonics, but after the first one I always end up switching to orange juice, so not only am I taking in calories but also the sugar is sky-high. I wonder what the caloric content of grain alcohol is?

I had a friend who supposedly had researched carb/sugar content of various liquors because he was trying to lose weight, but still wanted to be able to drink heavily and get absolutely hammered. (this was 10 years ago now... I had great friends) his solution was vodka with a splash of soda water, or flavored soda (like a Schweppes, or La Croix). I mean soda in the Michigander sense, of course, not pop. that was the lowest carb/sugar content available for heavy drinking options.

My personal preference is scotch on rocks with a decent splash of water. a cheaper blended scotch, like Cutty Sark or J&B. Not an expensive single malt. Jameson's irish whiskey also works.

If I'm having more than one drink these days, I stick to beer or wine.

I also find myself drinking more cheap, low-carb beers... Miller Lite mostly.

getting older is awesome...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a friend who supposedly had researched carb/sugar content of liquor because he was trying to lose weight, but still wanted to be able to drink heavily and get absolutely hammered. (I have great friends) his solution was vodka with a splash of soda water, or flavored soda (like a Schweppes, or La Croix). I mean soda in the Michigander sense, of course, not pop. that was the lowest carb/sugar content available for heavy drinking options.

My personal preference is scotch on rocks with a decent splash of water. a cheaper blended scotch, like Cutty Sark or J&B. Not an expensive single malt. Jameson's irish whiskey also works.

If I'm having more than one drink these days, I stick to beer or wine.

I also find myself drinking more cheap, low-carb beers... Miller Lite mostly.

getting older is awesome...

I was never a big beer drinker, but I don't mind the taste of IPA's, and all I need is a few of the high alcohol ones and I'm set. So that's been my drink of choice, but as I continue to fine tune my diet, and now that I'm running and lifting regularly, I find that's one of the things holding me back. I don't want to revert to light beer because one, it tastes like piss, and two I'd have to drink about 7-8 of them to catch a buzz. I went with gin because I was trying to stick with a clear liquor, but I'll give vodka a shot. It always treated me well on the rare occasion that I did drink it in my younger days.

Of course I could just try not drinking.

HA!!

I was never a big beer drinker, but I don't mind the taste of IPA's, and all I need is a few of the high alcohol ones and I'm set.

I recently brewed a beer where, by the NIH standards, 2 pints qualifies as binge drinking. Unfortunately, I really like it, and sometimes drink 2 pints.

I'm not a doctor or a dietician, but this is from some website called dietdoctor, so it must be true.

Me, I'm pretty disciplined when it comes to only mixing my Jack Daniels with calorie free club soda water.

Last edited:
I saw this yesterday on Twitter.

If "5 drinks in one day" is binge drinking, that's just a Michigan football game for me.

On the road, I've chosen a wine or beer only policy - no cocktails unless it's a conference - which Tinsel can attest to. As for low carb or less sugar as one gets older, absolutely Vodka & Soda ...currently Vodka & San Pelligrino, for the summer. I have given up rum, gin and most 'brown' alcohols aside from scotch on the rocks or a nice whiskey neat, but no mixers.

They say Vodka is the alcoholics choice of booze for various reasons and Ketel One with soda is what all the executives at my hard drinking Wall Street firm drink, so there's that.

Last edited:
MAN this thread is... making me want a drink.

today it was 100F already at 9AM. NINE AM!

I've said it before... nothing better than a gin and tonic with a lime on a hot day. The Limeys in India figured this out a long time ago.

68981a391ebf829a54f07fa8b4e2ff47--quotes-about-alcohol-ron-swanson-meme.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Michamp, how do you stumble upon all this.... errrrr better not say.

Are you looking out for it or does it just fall from the sky onto your lap?

Michamp, how do you stumble upon all this.... errrrr better not say.

Are you looking out for it or does it just fall from the sky onto your lap?

I heard about this on the radio before I saw this thread.

Was sort of in the anecdotal news of the day.

All I drink is beer for the most part. Shots if I'm bombed, other than that I just can't sip on liquor unless it's something weak like disorono. I hate pop so I have few mixed drink options outside of screwdrivers (which I do love) or other things mixed with juice.

Nothing wrong with a Miller light or even a PBR on occasion, those would be my beers of choice. However here over the summer I have really enjoyed vodka, and been making the Moscow Mule's, minus the cooper mug. I am not a huge vodka fan, but like ginger and lime so it makes sense. Also a nice glass of red wine or black berry wine is nice.

Back