Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Unconfirmed: Speight done for year

It's really not as impressive of a feat any more though. Beating a middle of the pack Big Ten team is no big deal. When we beat teams like OSU, Wisconsin or Iowa, now those are big wins.

Not impressive a feat, but it makes your year.

Makes sense.

It's really not as impressive of a feat any more though. Beating a middle of the pack Big Ten team is no big deal. When we beat teams like OSU, Wisconsin or Iowa, now those are big wins.

I call BS on this. If you lose the rest of ypur games you and your fan base will be calling for guys heads just like after last season's 3-9 season you guys wanted multiple coaches replaced.

I call BS on this. If you lose the rest of ypur games you and your fan base will be calling for guys heads just like after last season's 3-9 season you guys wanted multiple coaches replaced.

I was joking about the "lose every other game" comment.

I've wanted A new OC for years. That hasn't changed. Dantonio is loyal to a fault and that's been about the only thing I've called out about him. Could be worse, he could be a mediocre coach like Harbs.

It's too bad he got hurt, but those types of plays happen every game. I don't think there was intent. Bang bang plays happen. Just like the Bush hit on Lewerke late in the game Saturday. That was the exact definition of targeting and there wasn't a flag.

http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2017/10/upset_against_michigan_leads_t.html

Honestly, I don't think Lewerke should have been penalized for targeting on that play. But if Dantonio wants the NCAA to have a look that is fine.

Speight was sitting on his butt when the Purdue player threw all 300+ pounds of his body weight down on him. He was clearly down, no "bang bang" play. You don't hit a guy when he is already down unless you play for Purdue or Sparty. There was clear intent to injure. Once again, Sparty can't win clean, they have to play dirty. Dirty programs are dirty programs and always will be until a coaching change is made.

Last edited:
I was joking about the "lose every other game" comment.

I've wanted A new OC for years. That hasn't changed. Dantonio is loyal to a fault and that's been about the only thing I've called out about him. Could be worse, he could be a mediocre coach like Harbs.

Lets see how it plays out. Jim appears just as loyal to his dumb coaches as Mark is. Have to see how the rest of the season plays out. Neither getting much respect in the polls or msu would have vaulted Michigan.

Jim 24-7 after 31 games.
Mark 18-13 after 31 games.

Honestly, I don't think Lewerke should have been penalized for targeting on that play. But if Dantonio wants the NCAA to have a look that is fine.

Speight was sitting on his butt when the Purdue player threw all 300+ pounds of his body weight down on him. He was clearly down, no "bang bang" play. You don't hit a guy when he is already down unless you play for Purdue or Sparty. There was clear intent to injure. Once again, Sparty can't win clean, they have to play dirty. Dirty programs are dirty programs and always will be until a coaching change is made.

Yeah it's not even close and the Purdue player accelerated to maximum the hit sadly.

Lets see how it plays out. Jim appears just as loyal to his dumb coaches as Mark is. Have to see how the rest of the season plays out. Neither getting much respect in the polls or msu would have vaulted Michigan.

Jim 24-7 after 31 games.
Mark 18-13 after 31 games.

What do the first 31 games have to do with anything? Dantonio didn't inherit a team full of NFL talent. He built his program with a different approach and it paid off in spades. There is no debating that. I can guarantee that Dantonio is the right guy for MSU. I can't say as much for Harbs and Michigan.

Yeah, guys. It's not fair unless you compare coaches at the same institutions.

Dantonio was 18-13 after 31 games at MSU.

Saban was 17-13-1 after 31 games at MSU.

Dantonio > Saban.

What do the first 31 games have to do with anything? Dantonio didn't inherit a team full of NFL talent. He built his program with a different approach and it paid off in spades. There is no debating that. I can guarantee that Dantonio is the right guy for MSU. I can't say as much for Harbs and Michigan.

Wait a second .. Jim inherited a 5-7 team .. no one knew it was going to be full of nfl talent at the time . That is a totally unfair statement. He had alot of talent and turned a 5-7 team into a 10-3 team and who knows how many of those guys make the nfl if Hoke stays. Coaching by Jim and his staff has to get credit for getting some of those guys drafted ..
BTW I agree Mark had a harder job he inherented at msu was but it's closer then you think. My biggest beef is Michigan should take the msu game as serious as Mark does . I'm sure they do but it's hard to explain that sometimes I feel the don't .

Jl smith before mark.
8-5. 5-3
5-7 4-4
5-6 2-6
4-8 1-7

Hoke was
11-3. 6-2
8-5 6--2
7-6. 3-5
5-7. 3-5

Last edited:
Yeah, forget about that record number of players you had drafted a few months ago

Zero o-linemen. That's the problem. You can have a great defense and great skill players, but a shitty o-line is going to sink you at some point.

The prior staff completely neglected the most important group of players on offense. Harbaugh is building the o-line from nothing. We have to play guys out of position, too early, or guys that shouldn't even be on the field because the only other option would be true freshman.

Last edited:
Zero o-linemen. That's the problem.

Has been for a long time. There's no way to prove it, but I think Gardner would be a different person, like a top 3 rounds NFL pick, if he developed behind a good o-line. His bad habits were driven by the early pressure he often faced.

Has been for a long time. There's no way to prove it, but I think Gardner would be a different person, like a top 3 rounds NFL pick, if he developed behind a good o-line. His bad habits were driven by the early pressure he often faced.

I agree. The o-line was so bad that he just started assuming he was going to have to run for his life on every play. He really wasn't far off with his assumption.

Yeah, forget about that record number of players you had drafted a few months ago

Yeah dummy and they were all projected to be drafted that high after a 5-7 season. Your so dumb it's funny.

Last edited:
Yeah dummy and they were all projected to be drafted that high after a 5-7 season. Your so dumb it's funny.

So were they not on the team when Harbaugh took over? What does the teams record have to do with players going to the NFL anyway?????

So were they not on the team when Harbaugh took over? What does the teams record have to do with players going to the NFL anyway?????

We are talking about being coached up. Out of one side of your mouth you say jimmy is a terrible coach . Then out of the other side you say he had a billion draft picks . Which is it? So is he a good coach or a bad one ? When we were 5-7 not many were talking about many wolverines being drafted. Keep up with the conversation!!!!

We are talking about being coached up. Out of one side of your mouth you say jimmy is a terrible coach . Then out of the other side you say he had a billion draft picks . Which is it? So is he a good coach or a bad one ? When we were 5-7 not many were talking about many wolverines being drafted. Keep up with the conversation!!!!

Hoke had very highly rated recruiting classes. Why wouldn't there be NFL talent there??????

Last edited:
Back