Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Injuries only matter if it's another team, right?

I proved Stafford had less run game and less short fields than any QB over the last 6 seasons. This season, no run game again, no protection due to Oline injuries galore, dealing with injuries of his own and all 4 ints are not his fault to tank his rating below 90. He's an elite QB that gets made to look above average due to things NO QB COULD OVERCOME. NONE. .NOT BRADY NOT RODGERS NOBODY

Here’s a question I want you to think about really hard. Name me the top 10 quarterbacks in the league and tell me if they have more or less talent around them on offense than Matt Stafford.

I’ll be waiting.

I'll take a shot at this one.

1. Brady. More talent. Gronk and Cooks are clearly better than anyone we have. White is = to Riddick as far as being a pass catcher. They also have the best offensive coaches in football. Innovative, smart and incredibly aggressive. Same HC and offensive scheme his entire career.

2. Rodgers. More talent. Nelson, Adams, Cobb and Bennett are far and away better than our guys. Their OL is probably very slightly better. Montgomery and Jones are = to Abdullah and Riddick. Better offensive coaching. Same OC/HC his entire career.

3. Ryan. WAY WAY WAY more. The most skill position talent in football. Jones, Sanu, Gabriel, Freeman and Coleman. Insane amounts of talent. Shit, Hooper is MILES better than Ebron.

4. RuthlessRaper - More. Brown, Bryant and Bell = Lots of talent. Their backups are better than ours. Smith-Schuster, Eli Rogers, Jesse James are better than Golladay, Jones and Ebron. Good OL. Same head coach his entire career.

5. Wilson - More. Skill position wise, just slightly less talent than Atlanta. Baldwin, Richardson, Lockett, Jimmy Graham. Rawls, Lacy and Carson are better combined than Abdullah, Riddick and ZZ. We have a better OL than Seattle, though. Same HC and scheme his entire career.

6. Carr. This one is the closest so far. As a whole, id give Oakland a SLIGHT edge. Breaking it down individually we do "win" some battles. Crabtree is better than Jones. Tate is better than Cooper. Seth Roberts is playing better than Golladay.....but Golladay isn't playing. Cook is better than Ebron. I think Abdullah is better than Lynch at this point in his career. Riddick is a better 3rd down back. I like they way they use Patterson, though. Oakland OL is better than ours, too.

7. Brees. Like the Chargers......overall I might give us a slight edge talent wise.....but Sean Payton is better than JBC could ever be. Great play calling and play design genius. Skill guys we win, but scheme/coaching they destroy us.

8. Luck. Less. TY and Moncrief are better than Jones and Tate.....but we win in just about every other category. Their OL sucks and Doyle might be as bad as Ebron. Might.

9. Rivers. Though one. Melvin Gordon and Hunter Henry are easily better than Abdullah and Ebron. Keenan Allen > Jones. Tate> Williams. Mike Williams (rookie) is probably better than Golladay though he just played his first game. Their OL blows ass. Id call this even. Maybe a slight edge to the Lions.

10. Dak. LOL.....best OL in football. Dez, Williams and the little white kid.....Elliot......Witten. Stupid talent.

11. Alex Smith. More. We win a couple battles here, but their OL, Kelse, Hunt, Tyreek Hill and the biggest difference.....Andy Reid. Brilliant offensive mind.

12. Palmer. More. Their line sucks......but David Johnson, Fitz, Brown and Brown blow our skill guys out of the water.

13. Cam - More when healthy. As a group....Benjamin, Funchess, Samuel, Olsen, Stewart and McCaffery are probably better than our guys. Obviously Olsen is out.....but Dickson had more big plays against us than Ebron has had in his career. Panthers line sucks, though.

Of the 13 guys on the list......only one.....Luck.....IMO clearly has less talent than we do. Four QB's... Carr, Cam, Rivers and Brees......are a toss up. The other 8, IMO, have more talent than we do. And coaching makes a difference......as a fan base we are clearly seeing that right now.

This list I made isn't really in any order as far as who I think the best QB's are. There's Brady and Rodgers and then everyone else. Feel free to disagree.

Last edited:
First of all I would like to state that if you expect Matt to be Aaron Rodgers then you?re always going to be disappointed. It?s just simply not him, and 99% of the league is not him. Do I like the way he has played? Not really. I truly believe most of those tipped passes was because the saints knew he was injured and going to get the ball and basically not move much from where he received the snap so they could easily play the passing lanes with knocking the ball down.

It seems to me that defenses are daring the lions to throw the ball downfield. They are pressing Marvin and taking away Theo and golden around the los. The problem is the lions still don?t have any receivers who are downfield threats so what is the answer to this problem? Even the great Aaron Rodgers still needs receivers to be extremely effective. I remember in 2015 everyone thought he was broken because his line played terribly and jordy went down. (If you look at his stats that year he still threw 31 touchdowns and 8 interceptions which is actually similar to Matt?s pace though as well 32 and 12. I think every quarterback in the league needs help and it has been proven time and again. The lions have just been terrible in actually succeeding with helping Matt. They constantly surround him with piss poor running game and incomplete receiving crew. Quinn has to step up and do better. Golladay could be an answer for downfield shots, but we need more depth in that area. You can?t just rely on one guy.

It essentially sounds like you are trying to say QBs do not matter in this league.

You can look at it from either way. Is it the WRs/Oline that make the QB great, or the QB that can makes the WRs/Oline look great?

It somewhere in the middle, but there is a reason why one of those positions can be paid 25+ million a year.

Right now it feels like to be considered open in Detroit, you need to have 4 yards of clearance for 2+ seconds. Sometimes that's not even enough to be seen. It's the NFL windows are tight. You need to hit it when there is a chance.

I'm not watching all-22 tape. So perhaps you are right, maybe our WRs all suck. I just know watching other games I see a QB drop a ball into tight coverage a few times a game. I haven't seen that this year enough from our QB.

It just seems like all these weapons that produce have good to great QBs. Then if they go somwhere without one, they tend to have a drastic drop in production.

Run game, protection, WR separation has been an issue (at times)

Stafford is hurt too.

His play has been good but can be better. We'll see how healthy we can get after the bye. They need to start protecting him. 17 sacks and a lot of pressure in 3 games is a big reason his QB rating took a nose dive.

Give me Decker, Glasgow, Swanson, Lang and Wagner and then dominate. Hopefully Tate isn't out more than a one or two games.

Lions 3-3 last year too and made the playoffs

Losing Rodgers is devastating. I know this but comparing it is pointless. The Lions losing Decker is humongous. You don't replace that. Just like you don't replace Rodgers. So NO, it's not much bigger. It's devastating for both teams.
And calling players like Decker or Lang "just another OLineman" is ridiculous btw...lol.

you can replace a lineman like Decker. There will be a bit of a drop off with most replacements...the Lions just did a REALLY shitty job of it. You don't replace a player like AR or even Stafford for that matter.

Mitch did have a good point. Losing Decker for the season wouldn't have the same impact as losing Stafford. Lose Decker and the Lions could probably still win 8-9 games. Lose Stafford and they are looking at 6-10 at best.

Lions lost more than just Decker. Ngata, Hyder is half the Dline plus Ziggy banged up. Davis and Swanson for 2 games of 6 were big. Wagner banged up. Lang missed a game now. Dahl IR mattered when Swanson was hurt and with Lang hurt last week. Tate and Quin second half last week was big and Tate hurt for a few weeks now. Stafford banged up.

Role players in DWash, Golladay and Worrilow

Lions have had one of the worst injury situations in the league. Especially compared to their opponents recently. Falcons, Panthers and Saints were for sure the healthier teams when they faced us.

Please throw out the "banged up" stuff. That's 99 percent of the league.

If they are on the field, they are on the field, and the injury excuses go out the window. It's their choice to tough it out.

If they are on the field, they are on the field, and the injury excuses go out the window. It's their choice to tough it out.

Banged up matters for Wagner if you can't pass block. He had to play because everyone hurt

Stafford banged up matters a lot. Shotgun all day and can't move around so you get things like 12 tipped balls

Ansah speed limited. He tackles Ingram if healthy and that 51 yard gain never happens. More sacks for Ansah too

Banged up matters a lot because it hurts the product on the field. And no not everyone is banged up the same. Check the injury reports to see the real banged up guys

I don't think the Packers have yet to have their starting oline fully together. They have had DBs and LBs injured.

But Rodgers is the biggest Injury in the NFL. If you can't see that I don't know what to tell you.

Players are not equal. That's why certain players are paid more and have more expectations.

Right now Case Keenum is the highest rated QB in the North that will play next week. He's probably not even the Vikings long term starter. If that doesn't tell you the division should be won by the Lions I don't know what is.

QB is the most important position. When you have the highest paid player in history as your QB. The other teams have...nothing.

The Starters of the bears and Packers have thrown for less than 400 yards for their Career combined. Nobody knows the starter of the Vikings, after week 6.

Yea Lions should be expected to win. Complete embarrassment if they don't.

Lol. Coming from you?? Not a surprise. Stafford is playing on one leg and busted up ribs nows. Our #1 wespon is going to be shelved for 2-3 weeks. Our prized LT is missing half the yr. We've had numerous injuries to guys on our defense like Ansah, Davis, Wilson and now Quin. But you think it's an embarrassment if we don't win the North??? What an embarrassing statement coming from you but fully expected. Oh, but the Packers have a couple LBs and DBs thst got hurt though, right?? Lol. What a joke

Saints, Panthers, Falcons were healthier than us (all our losses, imagine that). Vikings and Giants game were even injury wise. We had a better situation than Cardinals in Week 1 due to Humphries and Johnson injuries during the game plus Buchannon and Nkemdiche

totally agree booger. But if he wants to be in the "elite" conversation he needs to overcome some of that....not just pile up the excuses. The "elite" throws are few and far between. Arod probably adds 6 wins to the packers....i really can't tell you how many Stafford adds cause there's multiple weeks a season i feel he hurts more than he helps.

Yes the Oline and WRs need to improve. Yes a run game will help. yes the dline blows. But if you need a great Oline, wr corps, run game and defense in order to perform than you may as well start Ruddock cause I'm pretty sure any qb could be successful under those circumstances.

Not talking about being elite or where he stands among QB' today. Also not talking about all those position groups playing "great"......but for fucks sake.....how bout one of them plays average or even good??

Right now, they aren't. #9 needs to play better. But it goes hand in hand. OL gives him more time.....WR get open....JBC gets his head out of his ass.....everything will go better.

you can replace a lineman like Decker. There will be a bit of a drop off with most replacements...the Lions just did a REALLY shitty job of it. You don't replace a player like AR or even Stafford for that matter.

Mitch did have a good point. Losing Decker for the season wouldn't have the same impact as losing Stafford. Lose Decker and the Lions could probably still win 8-9 games. Lose Stafford and they are looking at 6-10 at best.

The Lions did a bad job of replacing Decker?? How so?? And absolutely 150% you cannot replace your starting LT that goes down for 8 games. They rolled the dice with Robinson and he's had 1 good game lol. The rest have been from meh to disastrous. They traded for a LT and was hoping new surroundings would up his game. It hasn't..not even close.

I understood Mitch's point on the QB. You can't replace a starting QB. It's almost impossible. Same goes for other positions on the team. You just don't replace a Glover Quin, Tsylor Decker or a Golden Tate unless you're getting a couple studs in return. That's just fact and it's not happening

Throw it out? Why? It fucking exists...

But ya....the Lions can easily replace guys like Ngata, Hyder, Decker, Tate, Davis, Wilson, Lang. All starters!!! Call up the PS in Detroit! Or better yet, call up the CFL. There's gotta be someone waiting for a fulltime job to play football in the good ol U.S of A. Heeeeeeehawwwww!!!

Fucking delusional.

Last edited:
Because every team deals with it Tony. It's not exclusive to the Detroit Lions, players being "banged up."

Because every team deals with it Tony. It's not exclusive to the Detroit Lions, players being "banged up."

Some teams deal with it more. The fact that you idiots think it's all even is delusional.

I track all the injuries for all the teams we face. the 3 losses the Lions were way more injured

We'll see how it turns out the final 10 games

Injuries cause lack of execution. No matter who they are playing.

Lol. Coming from you?? Not a surprise. Stafford is playing on one leg and busted up ribs nows. Our #1 wespon is going to be shelved for 2-3 weeks. Our prized LT is missing half the yr. We've had numerous injuries to guys on our defense like Ansah, Davis, Wilson and now Quin. But you think it's an embarrassment if we don't win the North??? What an embarrassing statement coming from you but fully expected. Oh, but the Packers have a couple LBs and DBs thst got hurt though, right?? Lol. What a joke

So you dismiss the packers losing LBs, DBs, then 3 of the 4 injuries you list are LBs and DBs?

Typical Tony.

Okay man, the Lions are the hardest hit team in league history. It's a miracle they even can dress enough guys. They should be losing 99-0 if it wasn't for the soul of the universe Matt Stafford somehow playing with possible broken ribs, one leg, an iron deficiency, running for his life, having to break tackles every throw, and somehow still having pin point accuracy. MVP, MVP. But he is only one man, if he can somehow carry this team to the playoffs in the toughest division in football, it will be the most spectacular performance in all of sports.

LKP, you do realize that since you started posting here, every single year after this team falls woefully short of expectations, the immediate knee-jerk reaction is injuries? You think that for the past 25-30 years, the reason EVERY FUCKING SEASON they don't do anything is because of injuries?? DO you see the god damn lunacy in that?

Holy shit man, wake up!

The Lions did a bad job of replacing Decker?? How so?? And absolutely 150% you cannot replace your starting LT that goes down for 8 games. They rolled the dice with Robinson and he's had 1 good game lol. The rest have been from meh to disastrous. They traded for a LT and was hoping new surroundings would up his game. It hasn't..not even close.

I understood Mitch's point on the QB. You can't replace a starting QB. It's almost impossible. Same goes for other positions on the team. You just don't replace a Glover Quin, Tsylor Decker or a Golden Tate unless you're getting a couple studs in return. That's just fact and it's not happening

Denver lost an all pro LT for the final 14 regular season games and made it to the SB in 2013

LKP, you do realize that since you started posting here, every single year after this team falls woefully short of expectations, the immediate knee-jerk reaction is injuries? You think that for the past 25-30 years, the reason EVERY FUCKING SEASON they don't do anything is because of injuries?? DO you see the god damn lunacy in that?

Holy shit man, wake up!

The team was garbage under Miillen then 2009 was a rebuild. Lacked QBs in the 90s

It has been injuries a lot since 2011. They did well in 2011, 2014 and 2016 seasons and made the playoffs. Referee blunders and injuries has been the biggest cause of losing the last 6 seasons and 6 games. There are some games which were just Lions losses, some real close losses that could have gone a different way if as healthy as the opponenent or the referee didn't make gaffes against the Lions.

A lot of 2012 was them especially second half of year. Some of 2013 and 2015 was on the Lions but 3-4 games was refs/injuries that changed playoffs to 7-9. 9-4 then injured down the stretch last year. 3 losses this year we were the least healthy team so far. Referees made countless blunders in Falcons game as well and Benjamin committed OPI or Lions would have had a chance for the comeback

The Lions are a good team. Can be great with health and referees doing their damn job

Back