Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

History books

not I, but have you read American Lion? Was wanting to get it as a friend suggested it

I love american history and I wish sometimes the presidents were as tough as they were back then, the history that is tought in the school system is so watered down and communistic it is crazy...always loved Jackson...I visited his plantation, if you are ever in the area of nashville for a day or two go check it out it is quite interesting

Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by William L Shirer, Truman by David McCullough....anything by David McCullough. The Theodore Roosevelt trilogy by Edmund Morris.

I have read Lincoln, by Gore Vidal, though it is somewhat fictional.

Several other Civil War and WWII books written by soldiers such as General Omar Bradley.

Most of these I read second hand from my father.

probably my single favorite war memoir is Crossing the Line by Alvin Kernan. It's not very well known, but a college roommate of mine bought it for a class, and then left it to be tossed at the end of the semester. I started reading it one time, not expecting much, and then found out that I couldn't put it down.

Kernan served as an ordinanceman & later a tail-gunner on a torpedo plane aboard a number of different fleet carriers during WWII in the Pacific, and as such was present at almost every major engagement of the War, and some other notable incidents, such as the firefight in which Butch O'Hare was shot down, and the Doolittle raid on Tokyo.

Kernan was a country boy from Wyoming who enlisted in the Navy just before the outbreak of war, and then later attended Williams College on the GI Bill, and went on to become an English prof at Yale & later head of the humanities dept at Princeton...

so it's an interesting perspective to say the least. and even though it covers a lot of history, he keeps it to a reasonable length, and his writing style is clear and concise, so it's easy to read.
http://www.amazon.com/Crossing-Line-Bluejackets-Odyssey-Military/dp/0300123159/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_1

Also, Ron Chernow's biographies of Alexander Hamilton & John D. Rockefeller should be required reading for every American.

Too bad it's not a perfect world...

I just finished 'Under a flaming Sky" The great Hinckley firestorm of 1894.
By Daniel james Brown. 2006

its a true account of the fire storm that killed over 400 people in Minnesota in late summer 1894 when fire science and medicine about burns was in its infancy. This huge fire destroyed a few towns besides Hinckley and it was a terrible tragedy but there was great acts of courage too. I could not put this book down...

Back