Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Gaming
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #1
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Building new gaming PC

Been a while since I built one for myself.

CPU: Intel i5 6500 3.2 Ghz Skylake

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1-Gaming Z170X

Memory: 16 GB (8GBx2) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000


SSD: Corsair Force LS 240 GB

HDD: Seagate 1TB 64MB

Power Supply: Corsair CSM650M 80 Plus Gold

Tower Case: NZXT Guardian 921RB ATX Mid

Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD Burner

Total pricetag coming in right around $840

Only thing I'm not buying new yet is graphics card, just going to re-use my GTX 650ti for now untill I can afford to spend another $300+ on a decent new card

Thought/opinions?
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #2
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,417
It still amazes me how you can get a smokin' HD for so cheap. The only thing I'd question I would have future proofed your PSU. Fine for now, but if you're eventually going to get a stud graphics card I would have went minimum 750.

Other than that good unit, good price.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:19 AM   #3
sggatecl   sggatecl is online now
Senior Member
 
sggatecl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Okemos, MI
Posts: 7,069
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($221.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: *A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $875.00

Lacks a SSD and a DVD burner (not very expensive to fill on a sale) but does have a nice video card. You could take the video card out and fill with SSD/DVD burner and be waaaay below 800.
__________________
"When you start to feel sad, always remember to stop being a little bitch and no one cares."

Last edited by sggatecl; 04-02-2016 at 12:20 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,417
I like the 8GB option. 16GB is overkill for gaming..
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
It still amazes me how you can get a smokin' HD for so cheap. The only thing I'd question I would have future proofed your PSU. Fine for now, but if you're eventually going to get a stud graphics card I would have went minimum 750.

Other than that good unit, good price.

Not for a single graphics card. Only way you ever need more than 650W is of you run multiple cards in SLi or CrossFire.

The GTX 980 I want eventually even only needs a 550W
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($221.98 @ Newegg)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.29 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($102.88 @ OutletPC)

Memory: *A-Data XPG V1.0 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.89 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card ($309.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $875.00

Lacks a SSD and a DVD burner (not very expensive to fill on a sale) but does have a nice video card. You could take the video card out and fill with SSD/DVD burner and be waaaay below 800.

Part of the cost I forgot to list is 99.99 for the OS....
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:44 AM   #7
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Also what the hell....when I click the links i put in, they should all be newegg....but some are somehow redirecting to walmart and office depot???
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #8
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Not for a single graphics card. Only way you ever need more than 650W is of you run multiple cards in SLi or CrossFire.

The GTX 980 I want eventually even only needs a 550W
The graphics card isn't the only thing that uses power. I would hate to see your PC power down because of high load. Won't cost much more for a better PSU.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Thumb   Thumb is offline
Senior Member
 
Thumb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Thumb, duh!
Posts: 18,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
The graphics card isn't the only thing that uses power. I would hate to see your PC power down because of high load. Won't cost much more for a better PSU.

Yes, I understand how psu's work.

I'm actually going off Corsairs power supply calculator, which factors in the needed wattage of the CPU and components.

Bottom line, what you suggest; pc power down from lack of power under high load, wont happen. Not with a single GPU.

Also understand that all the improvements happening to PC's lately, namely PCI-e x16 3.0, sata III, DDR4 memory, 14 nm cpu's, USB 3.0 and 3.1, all drastically reduce power consumption compared to older components.
__________________
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,417
If you say so. Hope you plan on medium to low settings with these games..
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.