Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Gaming

Old 04-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
I like the 8GB option. 16GB is overkill for gaming..

For now, but not for long. Many games already require 8 GB as minimum. By going with 16 GB (2x8) I just made sure I have all I will ever need and as a dual channel matched set. I could have gone with 8 GB (2x4) and upgraded later by adding another 2 sticks of 4 GB, but sometimes it's hard to find memory later with the exact speeds, timings, and voltages to match what is already installed.

Plus, the RAM I bought was a combo with the CPU and which made the memory half price anyways, which is why I got the 6500 and not the 6600 i5, because I ended up saving over $65 with the combo.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Also what the hell....when I click the links i put in, they should all be newegg....but some are somehow redirecting to walmart and office depot???
I noticed that. Thought maybe you had good experiences or something with them so I didn't say anything.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:15 PM   #13

Your build was fine btw, I was just trying to give alternatives. There are so many routes to take.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
Your build was fine btw, I was just trying to give alternatives. There are so many routes to take.

Yeah, I asked for thoughts on it but knew it was decent. It's not jaw dropping like it could be with a top end mobo and an OC i7 on a water block and dual/triple/quad gpu setup, but I also haven't hit the lotto yet.

The bottleneck I will have for a while will be my graphics card, which I'll eventually upgrade, but since it's likely to be the single most expensive component I don't mind waiting a bit because the prices on GTX970 and GTX980 cards should be dropping pretty soon.

http://www newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899 Card I want eventually. (fuck you forum for redirecting hyperlinks) Manually copy/paste address in browser adding he . where the spaces are after www and before com

Hopefully that's not redirected, I don't know why the other links are...I hoped Mitch could explain maybe, since when I try to edit the original post, the link are correct, but for some reason the forum is changing the hyperlinks...kind of annoying.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Last edited by Thumb; 04-02-2016 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #15

The link is fucked but I figured it out. Let us know when you see it at a price you like. I need a new video card myself and I miss all the deals.

I'm running SLI'd 260 GTXs...they still do good but they're getting long in the tooth.
Old 04-02-2016, 10:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
The link is fucked but I figured it out. Let us know when you see it at a price you like. I need a new video card myself and I miss all the deals.

I'm running SLI'd 260 GTXs...they still do good but they're getting long in the tooth.

I had to purposely break the link to keep it from auto-redirecting to officedepot or someshit, where it was the same card, just $80 more...

And yeah, the drawback to those cards is they probably dont have the newer DirectX support.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Yeah, I asked for thoughts on it but knew it was decent. It's not jaw dropping like it could be with a top end mobo and an OC i7 on a water block and dual/triple/quad gpu setup, but I also haven't hit the lotto yet.

The bottleneck I will have for a while will be my graphics card, which I'll eventually upgrade, but since it's likely to be the single most expensive component I don't mind waiting a bit because the prices on GTX970 and GTX980 cards should be dropping pretty soon.

http://www newegg com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121899 Card I want eventually. (fuck you forum for redirecting hyperlinks) Manually copy/paste address in browser adding he . where the spaces are after www and before com

Hopefully that's not redirected, I don't know why the other links are...I hoped Mitch could explain maybe, since when I try to edit the original post, the link are correct, but for some reason the forum is changing the hyperlinks...kind of annoying.
What is the price difference for an i7 that is just short of the same quality of "OC i7 on a water block".

Processor speed is normally not the bottleneck, but if it is only $75 more it might be worth it.
Old 04-05-2016, 11:05 AM   #18

Think i7-930. Also what overclocked proc speed is acceptable to you?
Old 04-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWDUP View Post
Think i7-930. Also what overclocked proc speed is acceptable to you?

i7-930 is the wrong generation.

The current non water version would be i7-6700 3.4 Ghz and it's $100 more than the 6500 i5
Old 04-05-2016, 08:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAWDUP View Post
What is the price difference for an i7 that is just short of the same quality of "OC i7 on a water block".

Processor speed is normally not the bottleneck, but if it is only $75 more it might be worth it.

It's not really about speed. I went with the 6500 i5 @ 3.2 Ghz rather then the 6600/6600k i5 @ 3.4 because it was a little cheaper but also got the RAM for half price in a combo deal.

For gaming the i5 is usually just as good (80-90%) as the i7, you get 4 cores and a large cache. I don't do cpu intensive stuff like video encoding or CAD which is where the i7 would really make a huge difference over the i5.

My bottleneck will be my GPU until I can upgrade.

Last edited by Thumb; 04-05-2016 at 08:52 PM.