Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Gaming

Old 10-20-2016, 11:35 AM   #1

Nintendo Switch

Looks AWESOME!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-20-2016, 01:14 PM   #2

Interesting enough to keep an eye on. As usual it will depend on Specs, pricing & games.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #3

It will be a disappointment just like the Wii U.

Nintendo should do what Sega did, abandon the hardware, and develop games for the Xbox and PS consoles.

Nintendo consoles are the Gary Johnson of the gaming industry.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 10-20-2016, 11:15 PM   #4

Or it could be a massive success like the Wii.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:35 AM   #5

I'm a huge, huge gamer. I own a PC and a PS4. My 4 year old plays the Disney Infinity (RIP) and enjoys himself too.

Having said that, I'm not a big gamer outside of the house and I don't want to set the example for my kids of having my eyes glued to a screen all the time. For the Switch to be a hit in this house it will need to step up the hardware game. My last experience with Wii was awful when it came to titles being dumbed down (can't speak on the WiiU). It'll be interesting to see what they stuff in that thing, my kid would love some of the Nintendo only titles I'm sure.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I'm a huge, huge gamer. I own a PC and a PS4. My 4 year old plays the Disney Infinity (RIP) and enjoys himself too.

Having said that, I'm not a big gamer outside of the house and I don't want to set the example for my kids of having my eyes glued to a screen all the time. For the Switch to be a hit in this house it will need to step up the hardware game. My last experience with Wii was awful when it came to titles being dumbed down (can't speak on the WiiU). It'll be interesting to see what they stuff in that thing, my kid would love some of the Nintendo only titles I'm sure.
Not a gamer outside the house either and currently most of my gaming is in my bedroom (Laptop) or Den (PS4). Being able to move it to the great room, a more relaxing place would be nice.

But those specs.. gotta see those specs.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 10-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
Or it could be a massive success like the Wii.

The Wii was not much of a long term success. It was super popular in the beginning, but the control system was clumsy and it lacked the power in both CPU and GPU to compete with the ps3 and xbox 360 when it came to non-nintendo only titles.

Everyone I know who had a PS3 or Xbox 360 played, or play it all the time, everyone I know with a Wii, got bored of it within months and it just sat collecting dust.

Sure the Switch might sell a ton of units early, and be super hard to get for a while due to high demand and low volume, but I'm sure it will be just like the Wii, and the Wii U, and be ignored by people wanting a real gaming console.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 10-22-2016, 02:23 PM   #8

I don't care about specs as nearly as much as everyone else. I have a PS4 and a decent PC. Don't need to play the most souped-up games all the time.

If the game is fun and the system works, I'll enjoy it.
Old 10-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
I don't care about specs as nearly as much as everyone else. I have a PS4 and a decent PC. Don't need to play the most souped-up games all the time.

If the game is fun and the system works, I'll enjoy it.
I don't need souped up games but I don't want dumbed down games either. When we bought a Wii many years ago, Madden looked like dog shit. I haven't bought a Nintendo product since. Maybe Wii U fixed it, maybe Switch fixes it. Not sure.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sggatecl View Post
I don't need souped up games but I don't want dumbed down games either. When we bought a Wii many years ago, Madden looked like dog shit. I haven't bought a Nintendo product since. Maybe Wii U fixed it, maybe Switch fixes it. Not sure.

I wasn't impressed with either the look of the new Zelda or the new Super Mario game they showed.

Also, when they show people using the mini-screen, the controllers break down in to tiny little clumsy looking things about the size of an ipod nano. That seems to me that it's more about gimmick functionality then it is actual usefulness.