Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers > MLB General Board

Old 09-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Better prospect > shitty prospect. Guys on last year get good prospects all the time.
follow along...if the Tigers kept him and he opted out, they get nothing. Therefore, the prospect they got > him just opting out after the season.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
Would have been highway robbery to dump salary, if not for the opt-out. Don't trust J Up to perform like he has all season, after signing a fat multi-year contract. Whatever ballclub who signs him in the off-season, may be wishing that they hadn't next season.
That's the thing everyone knows he was going to opt out.. therefore no salary dump, get a better prospect. JD trade was just as bad. At least on paper..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 09-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
follow along...if the Tigers kept him and he opted out, they get nothing. Therefore, the prospect they got > him just opting out after the season.
That's not the point. A better GM gets a better player. Just don't take an offer because its better than nothing. Go get a better offer.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 09-05-2017, 03:17 PM   #14

Quote:
That's not the point. A better GM gets a better player. Just don't take an offer because its better than nothing. Go get a better offer.
Nobody claimed him when he was on waivers, so there probably weren't any teams willing to risk him not opting out. From what I understand, his agent went to the Tigers and said he was going to opt out. According to what I heard, the Tigers started shopping him around. This was all in the 11th hour. As far as just "getting a better player"...you have no idea if that was an option. Maybe the Angles were the only team with an offer.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:18 PM   #15

Quote:
That's the thing everyone knows he was going to opt out.. therefore no salary dump, get a better prospect. JD trade was just as bad. At least on paper..
Angels have little chance to win the West, absent the Astros collapsing, so why would they give up their remaining top prospect, for a rental who may or may not help them clinch a one game road/home WC berth? Apparently no other contender wanted him, or offered even less in return. Diamondbacks probably will have a significantly better record than who wins the NLCD title, but they still will only be the bestest WC team.

Last edited by turok; 09-05-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by turok View Post
Angels have little chance to win the West, absent the Astros collapsing, so why would they give up their remaining top prospect, for a rental who may or may not help them clinch a one game road/home WC berth? Apparently no other contender wanted him, or offered even less in return.
It wasn't about the Astros, it was about a playoff spot. They were a game out at the time. And because that's what teams do. And when our stupid GM, twice, announce fire sale basically we got shit. 2 month rentals in the history get more. Many many times.

As far as the waiver, Tom. Not before the July 31st deadline.. it's always better to work out a trade.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #17

"Apparently no other contender wanted him, or offered even less in return." And how do you know this?

Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #18

Quote:
It wasn't about the Astros, it was about a playoff spot. They were a game out at the time. And because that's what teams do. And when our stupid GM, twice, announce fire sale basically we got shit. 2 month rentals in the history get more. Many many times.

As far as the waiver, Tom. Not before the July 31st deadline.. it's always better to work out a trade.
he NEVER said he was going to opt out before that deadline. What part don't you understand? There was no market for him until he let it be known he was going to opt out.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #19

Quote:
"Apparently no other contender wanted him, or offered even less in return." And how do you know this?
because they would have claimed him when he was free on waivers...HE CLEARED WAIVERS!!!!

Last edited by tomdalton22; 09-05-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
because they would have claimed him when he was free on waivers...HE CLEARED WAIVERS!!!!
You actually don't understand how it works. LOL.