Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers > MLB General Board

Old 09-13-2017, 04:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
unless your mom can see into the future...we don't know what the players they got in return will become.
He's Justin Verlander. I wonder if you even realize how good he is.. You need to get back a star, not might be useful someday.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #22

Now if this turns into Alexander-Smoltz I won't complain..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #23

Quote:
he could have if he wanted to...but he chose to leave

Stupid reply.

Verlander was openly being shopped, Avila even made it clear they wanted to move him....so I don't blame Justin for accepting the trade, who wants to play for an organization that wants to get rid of you?

The fault is with the Tigers front office and C. Illitch, they should not have been shopping him in the first place, they should have remembered what he has done for this franchise, what he has accomplished, and the caliber of pitcher we all still knew he was, regardless of what his numbers were at, and most importantly, his value to the fanbase.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 09-13-2017, 10:04 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Stupid reply.

Verlander was openly being shopped, Avila even made it clear they wanted to move him....so I don't blame Justin for accepting the trade, who wants to play for an organization that wants to get rid of you?

The fault is with the Tigers front office and C. Illitch, they should not have been shopping him in the first place, they should have remembered what he has done for this franchise, what he has accomplished, and the caliber of pitcher we all still knew he was, regardless of what his numbers were at, and most importantly, his value to the fanbase.

I'd say the 200m that the Tigers have paid him in his career is fair payment for what he's done for the franchise.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:31 PM   #25

I hope they sell the team. Because we need new ownership.
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 09-14-2017, 03:07 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime909 View Post
I'd say the 200m that the Tigers have paid him in his career is fair payment for what he's done for the franchise.
I suspect he brought more than that back in ticket prices, merchandise sales - and his charity in Birmingham and Detroit etc.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
Stupid reply.

no, it was a factual reply.

The organization was faced with a difficult decision and they made the correct one. The organization is in the situation it is in now, not because of C. Illich, but because of his dad. His dad mortgaged the long term future for one championship that didn't materialize. Now they are paying the price.
Old 09-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #28

Quote:
no, it was a factual reply.

The organization was faced with a difficult decision and they made the correct one. The organization is in the situation it is in now, not because of C. Illich, but because of his dad. His dad mortgaged the long term future for one championship that didn't materialize. Now they are paying the price.
You know they can afford him, right? The Tigers losing money for the Ilitch's is like me losing $20. Look at the teams with low payroll.. They don't do it because they can't afford it. C. Ilitch didn't have to do a thing. Add on the fact the best they got was the 46th best prospect in all of baseball.. and 2 guys that aren't even top 100.

Old 09-14-2017, 08:44 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
You know they can afford him, right? The Tigers losing money for the Ilitch's is like me losing $20. Look at the teams with low payroll.. They don't do it because they can't afford it. C. Ilitch didn't have to do a thing. Add on the fact the best they got was the 46th best prospect in all of baseball.. and 2 guys that aren't even top 100.
how exactly do you replenish the depleted farm system without trading established players?
Old 09-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
Bottom line is they didn't lose $20 bucks last year, they lost 36.4 million bucks. Comparing that to you losing a 20 spot is like saying your net worth is $3400. That is just silly. No business owner will just willy nilly lose that amount of money year after year and be ok with it. Trust me I was mad/sad to see JV go. But what is the point of keeping him around? No chance in hell we compete in the next 3-4 years anyway. We are the new Phillies. I also understand being upset about the return but none of the guys have even made it to AA yet, so let's give them time to develop.