Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers > MLB General Board

Old 10-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #11

40 for 40 !!!!! Love the pictures !!!
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-04-2017, 01:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
I missed on Shoeless Joe myself. I pictured D.B. Sweeney who played him in the movie Eight Men Out. And he didn't look Italian enough, Ray Liotta - So I was confused..
That's one of the others I missed. Cy Young, Honus Wagner shoeless Joe and one other.

In defense of us that missed Shoeless Joe, he wasn't wearing a Chicago White Sox uniform in the picture.
Old 10-04-2017, 01:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
40/40 but admittedly I guessed on both Shoeless Joe and Honus Wagner
You were another one I would have bet to get them all.

A couple of the others I would have thought would have gotten them all have checked in and confirm that they did.

There are still a few out there but I'm not going to name them until they verify that they in fact got them all.

I don't feel too bad about my score. I love baseball but I'll admit I'm not quite the baseball fan as most of the rest of you.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post
You were another one I would have bet to get them all.

A couple of the others I would have thought would have gotten them all have checked in and confirm that they did.

There are still a few out there but I'm not going to name them until they verify that they in fact got them all.

I don't feel too bad about my score. I love baseball but I'll admit I'm not quite the baseball fan as most of the rest of you.

You don't need to know all that to be a big fan. I can name all the Presidents in order.. but history as a whole not so good.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 10-04-2017, 05:55 AM   #15

38 out of 40 (missed on two guesses)

Most were obvious choices after you eliminated others. Both Shoeless Joe and Nap Lajoie were answers to the one and they both played with CLE on the same team (1910-194). The player was in a CLE uniform. So that was a 50-50 guess and I got it wrong. The other was also a guess.

Seeing the uniform and what team was key.

When they have a picture of Ken Griffey Jr and one of the answers is Al Kaline, you know the quiz is suspect. They should have 4 black player names from Griffey's era in order for this quiz to mean anything. Of course, how many in Griffey's era were legends?
Old 10-04-2017, 07:44 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post

Most were obvious choices after you eliminated others. Both Shoeless Joe and Nap Lajoie were answers to the one and they both played with CLE on the same team (1910-194). The player was in a CLE uniform. So that was a 50-50 guess and I got it wrong. The other was also a guess.

When they have a picture of Ken Griffey Jr and one of the answers is Al Kaline, you know the quiz is suspect. They should have 4 black player names from Griffey's era in order for this quiz to mean anything. Of course, how many in Griffey's era were legends?
you could see the first initial and first letter of his last name in one picture.

I'm not a baseball historian. I had to guess on at least a dozen. Almost every black and white photo I had to guess and it wasn't based on the guy in the picture...it was the names and age of the photo that I was going on.
Old 10-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
you could see the first initial and first letter of his last name in one picture.

I'm not a baseball historian. I had to guess on at least a dozen. Almost every black and white photo I had to guess and it wasn't based on the guy in the picture...it was the names and age of the photo that I was going on.

That was Frank Robinson, but that was was easy anyways.
"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
Old 10-04-2017, 09:02 AM   #18

Bought a book on early HoFers from Scholastic Book Services while in parochial grade school, plus all of the baseball cards that I collected in the 60s, figured that I had a good chance of getting them all correct, but used the hint a few times when I wasn't absolutely certain.

Last edited by turok; 10-04-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb View Post
That was Frank Robinson, but that was was easy anyways.
I got that one based on his hat and he was black
Old 10-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post

Same on Shoeless.. I'm like wait a minute "he played for Cleveland?" Even at 51 I can still learn new things..

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!