Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Tigers > MLB General Board

Old 12-01-2017, 01:07 PM   #1

Shohei Ohtani

How great would it be if he could actually be a good starting pitcher and DH or play in the field? I hope he is able to do both. It would bring some new excitement to the game.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #2

Sadly the Tigers will never go after this type of player from over seas. Man he would be exciting to get. I would tell him he is going to pitch and be our dh lol..
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
How great would it be if he could actually be a good starting pitcher and DH or play in the field? I hope he is able to do both. It would bring some new excitement to the game.
To be a successful, all star type pitcher it takes a lot. I would think playing on his off days, even as a DH, would eventually wear on him.
I'm still weary he could hit major league pitching on a consistent basis.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
To be a successful, all star type pitcher it takes a lot. I would think playing on his off days, even as a DH, would eventually wear on him.
I'm still weary he could hit major league pitching on a consistent basis.
yes, everything I hear it sounds like it would be very difficult. On MLB radio they were discussing it. From what they have been saying is in Japan they have a different schedule which is effectively a 6 man rotation. They said he would need to take the day before or after his starts off...maybe both.

It's very unlikely that someone could excel at a high level at both pitching and hitting but it would be great.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

Smells like a gimmick to me, but who knows. I doubt he's ever faced the kind of competition he would here in the states. Guys have certainly come here and fared well, but to do both well, I just think if was going to happen(again), it already would have. But what do I know. I personally would not be the team lining up to experiment but I will gladly watch. LOL
Old 12-01-2017, 04:56 PM   #6

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/...ted-today.html
MLB Ratifies New NPB Posting System, Formally Announces Shohei Ohtani Will Be Posted Today.
MLBTR
"Kaline in my book is the greatest righthanded hitter in the league". Ted Williams.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:40 PM   #7

From a "stuff" standpoint, he grades out higher than Tanaka on everything. So that is a plus by itself.

From a hit prospective, he grades out higher than Matsui. 500 foot HRs are still 500 foot HRs. Sure, it might take him longer to adjust to MLB pitching, so who knows.

And yes, he is not anticipated to play every day. 5 times a week is what everyone is thinking. Not too much less than the playing time of most MLB catchers.

Money isn't suppose to be an issue. He is looking for more than monetary reward. The Tigers lack the culture and direction to recruit him. They just might be last on the list of 30 teams.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #8

According to ESPN the list has been narrowed down to 7 teams

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...st-seven-teams
Old 12-04-2017, 02:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdalton22 View Post
According to ESPN the list has been narrowed down to 7 teams

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...st-seven-teams
3 AL and 4 NL

5 West Coast teams
The Rangers (Darvish)
The Cubs

As usual, Jim Bowden from MLBNetwork got it wrong. He guaranteed he would go to the Yankees and said he had "inside" info.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbiv View Post
3 AL and 4 NL

5 West Coast teams
The Rangers (Darvish)
The Cubs

As usual, Jim Bowden from MLBNetwork got it wrong. He guaranteed he would go to the Yankees and said he had "inside" info.
yea...I heard him on Friday saying that the Yankees and LA Dodgers were the leading candidates due to outside marketing possibilities. He mentioned any team that landed Darvish could have an opportunity as well.