Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Media > Music

Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 AM   #11

When I listen to his voice on YouTube the closest thing it reminded me of was Robert Plant and I looked Robert Plant up on Wikipedia and it said he definitely was an influence on Chris Cornell.

I just listened to a clip from Black hole Sun and I think I've probably heard it before.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 05:16 AM   #12

We just lost the great Leon Russell; Chris's style was similar to his.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinselwolverine View Post

As a person with diagnosed and treated depressive disorders myself, i'm not impressed by suicide.

Not that I'm impressed with it, but my initial thought was "why now?"

Seems like by 52 he had made it through the choppier seas of life: adolescence, young adulthood, and in his case, drug addiction & the stresses dealing with fame. he had been married and divorced and remarried for over 10 years, w/3 kids. and by all accounts although he struggled with depression in his youth, he had a stable 2-parent household and 4 siblings. so no obvious external stress in his life. he could play a couple shows a year and earn enough stay comfortable. buy a boat and go sailing. or golf. or frisbee golf.

But I guess depression and suicidal ideation are illnesses that stalk one throughout their life, and it's impossible to know when they'll suddenly get to be too much to handle. I guess it got him in the end.

Quote:
When I listen to his voice on YouTube the closest thing it reminded me of was Robert Plant and I looked Robert Plant up on Wikipedia and it said he definitely was an influence on Chris Cornell.

I just listened to a clip from Black hole Sun and I think I've probably heard it before.
that's probably their best known song. they hit their prime radio airplay a little later than Nirvana and Pearl Jam (like 1994-1997). Some of their earlier stuff is just as good (Rusty Cage, and Outshined). all of it has darker undercurrents than Nirvana or Pearl Jam... which in some ways capped their popular appeal.

Cobain definitely wrote some dark music... I mean he wrote a song titled "I Hate Myself and Want to Die"... but he always managed to have a sense of humor about it. Cornell & Soundgarden were more serious.

Last edited by michchamp; 05-19-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #14

Listening to his voice and the theme of the videos makes me think that it's too bad he never sang Jesus in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar because he seems tailor-made to have done it.

For those who never seen nor heard it, it's like a somber and gloomy one and a half hour music video, and the sullen and lugubrious lead character ends up dying a horrific and agonizing death.

Like real grunge style shit, man

Last edited by tinselwolverine; 05-19-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 03:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Listening to his voice and the theme of the videos makes me think that it's too bad he never sang Jesus in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Jesus Christ Superstar because he seems tailor-made to have done it.

For those who never seen nor heard it, it's like a somber and gloomy one and a half hour music video, and the sullen and lugubrious lead character ends up dying a horrific and agonizing death.

Like real grunge style shit, man
Soundgarden had a song called Jesus Christ Pose... another one of their earlier hits. Not one of their better ones though.

in 7th or 8th grade, they took us to see Jesus Christ Superstar at a local highschool. the songs were catchy, that's all I remember.

I also remember my parents saying the Catholic Church wasn't supportive of it, but my religion teacher said that wasn't true.

Anyways... I forgot all about it for probably close to 15 years until I watched some old Mr. Show DVDs and saw this hilarious sendup of JC Superstar:

Last edited by michchamp; 05-19-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:42 AM   #16