Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Off topic > Media > Music

Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #11

British bands and their music prettty much ruled the FM AOR radio airwaves during my HS years, including the Stones, Jethro Tull, The Who, The Moody Blues, Yes, Uriah Heep, David Bowie, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Traffic, Ten Years After, Bad Company, Humble Pie, Led Zeppelin..ect. The Beatles broke up in '70, so their music wasn't so much a part of the Detroit radio playlists anymore (although it was on mono AM pop, rock and Motown radio in the 60s).

But my favorite British band was and still is Pink Floyd. I bought their DSOTM LP shortly after it was released in 'the summer of '73, and became fascinated with the printed lyrics and especially the artwork on the album, which was done by the late Storm Thorgerson and his company, Hypgnosis. So much so that soon after I got a good-paying FT job out of HS, I bought a new black '77 1/2 Chevy Camaro z/28 with a white interior. and spent some bucks customizing and detailing it inside and out, using the album graphics as a template.

While I was doing the pinstriping, a neighbor lady came up to me in my driveway and told me that I had the patience of "Job" I didn't know who the hell Job was, so she explained him to me, being a biblical figure. After I became more adept at detailing, another lady who was walking by my house, told me that she could see my car from her house, two blocks away..lol. I knew that she was exaggerating, but during the time that I owned the car, there were many people who approached me in parking lots, to ask me how I got the car so mirror polished. I just would say that I wanted it to shine like a crazy diamond.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #12

LZ has more than its share of mentions in the wiki article on musical plagiarism.

settled:
  • On Led Zeppelin's album Led Zeppelin II (1969), parts of the song "Bring It On Home" were copied from Sonny Boy Williamson's 1963 recording of "Bring It On Home," written by Willie Dixon. On the same album, "The Lemon Song" included an adaptation of Howlin' Wolf's "Killing Floor." In 1972, Arc Music, the publishing arm of Chess Records, brought a lawsuit against Led Zeppelin for copyright infringement over "Bring It On Home" and "The Lemon Song"; the case was settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.
  • Led Zeppelin's song "Whole Lotta Love" contained lyrics that were derivative of Willie Dixon's 1962 song "You Need Love." In 1985, Dixon filed a copyright infringement suit, resulting in an out-of-court settlement. Later pressings of Led Zeppelin II credit Dixon as co-writer.[18]
  • Led Zeppelin also paid a settlement to the publisher of Ritchie Valens' song "Ooh! My Head" over "Boogie with Stu" (from their album Physical Graffiti) which borrowed heavily from Valens' song.[19]
  • Led Zeppelin's song "Dazed and Confused" was derived from a 1967 Jake Holmes song of the same name, which had been performed by Jimmy Page when he was with The Yardbirds.[32][33] In June 2010, Holmes filed a lawsuit against the guitarist for copyright infringement in a United States District Court, claiming Page knowingly copied his work.[34] The case was dismissed with prejudice in January 2012 following a stipulation filed by both parties.[35] The 2012 Led Zeppelin release Celebration Day credits the song to "Jimmy Page, inspired by Jake Holmes".

unsettled:
  • The song "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" by Led Zeppelin was thought to be a traditional song and was credited as "Trad. arr. Page" but it was actually written by folk singer Anne Bredon. Since 1990, the Led Zeppelin version has credited with Bredon, who received a substantial back-payment in royalties.

pending:
the Taurus/Stairway matter.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:56 AM   #13

Howard Stern apparently riffed on this same topic:
http://www.hark.com/clips/qmqjfdsztg...lin-as-a-farce

Add "Black Mountain Side," "Since I've been Loving You," and "In My Time of Dying" to the list of songs LZ took undeserved writing credit for.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #14

LOL, someone nominated LZ for the "Songwriters Hall of Fame" last year.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

I liked these "pre-bands" ... Savoy Brown, The Small Faces, Yardbirds.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinecountry View Post
and.....FZ did a better rendition of Stairway to Heaven...
haha, okay, I finally got around to watching that (or at least a live version) on youtube.

agreed.

I also saw this fake doors version posted which is better as well, I think:

Last edited by michchamp; 05-23-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #17

Say what you will, John Bonham was masterful. He ripped off Gene Krupa I s'pose
Old 04-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #18

BLUMP!

Lawsuit going to trial. Hope Zeppelin loses!

would be kinda fun to be a juror for this one.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:29 PM   #19

Never got LZ. My friends were nuts about that band.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by byco42 View Post
Never got LZ. My friends were nuts about that band.
we know. you told us already. see post #3.