Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan Wolverines

Old 08-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #11

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

If D. Williams had an off-game, Michigan would have very well won by double digits. That team was a one-man army. I've never seen such unreal play by one player. The rest of the squad really did not impress me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 PM   #12

Well if Morris or Hardaway had an off game, Michigan could have gotten the doors blown off. Michigan didnt impress a lot of teams all year outside of that Tennessee game i'm sure.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #13

True, but Michigan's 1-3-1 always confuses teams who don't see it often. I think Michigan had much more capable role players than Arizona. It may be me being a homer, but I would have liked their chances if they got past Duke.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #14

I LOVE Michigan hoops but I'd say you're being a homer a bit. Michigan rarely ran the 1-3-1 last year anyways. It was much more of a factor the previous year with Manny.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #15

Maybe so, but Arizona were not world-beaters last season. They had a surprisingly nice run to the E8, but I still was not all that impressed. It's not like Michigan would have had to beaten the MJ All Stars. Arizona was a fine team, but it would have been a Mich W IMO.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #16

Im not saying michigan didnt have a chance, I'm just saying Arizona had the one thing Michigan would have hated to run into... You also said Michigan had a double digit win in them if Williams had an off game. IMO even if he had an "off game" it would have been a struggle to keep him off the line, under 20 points and come away with a victory.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #17

I would much rather play a team with one star and some average support, than a well-balanced squad. All the pieces on UCONN were great. Yes, Kemba Walker is a fantastic college player, but he had a lot of great players around him. For some reason, Pac-10 teams don't scare me, and I always get the feeling they are overrated going into the tourney. Michigan never plays Arizona, so it would have been new to Zona.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #18

Michigan went stretches last year without a bucket that seemed unreal though. I know as Michigan fans the pieces on that team were excellent to us but to other team they werent. I have a strong feeling that if you switched 4 Michigan role players with 4 AZ players from last year, most Michigan fans wouldnt even know who they were and they'd be saying that Arizona was a one man show. Unless you watch a lot of Arizona basketball (I'm just assuming you dont but maybe you do), I'm sure their role players were just fine and were over shadowed by the lottery pick talent next to them. Michigan just didnt have that guy to do that.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #19

They won like 30 games last year...they were a lot better than Michigan. They also whooped up on Duke pretty solidly in the tourney.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #20

CBB is probably my favorite sport next to CFB and NHL. So, I try to keep my pulse on the nation. There is just something about Pac 10 teams that doesn't sit right with me. And you're right, our role players probably weren't much better than theirs. But I think AZ rode on the shoulders of Williams, and Michigan had few others guys that could do some work. I think Michigan had two incredible players, and AZ had one all-star. It would have been a great game.