Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

*Official UM Hoops Thread*

Hungry said:
DR said:
Robinson is ahead of Kaminski and Stauskus is ahead of Costello and Valentine, in case anyone's keeping track of such things.

Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Kaminski.

Cool about Costello and Valentine being lower than Stauskus. Man! Where's sbee when you (don't) need him?

He's another MSU commit. 6'7" pf out of ohio, ranked 67th.

DR said:
Hungry said:
Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't heard of Kaminski.

Cool about Costello and Valentine being lower than Stauskus. Man! Where's sbee when you (don't) need him?

Thanks

I'm certain that the response would be "recruiting doesn't matter."

Until they land a good recruit...

Hungry said:
DR said:

Thanks

I'm certain that the response would be "recruiting doesn't matter."

Until they land a good recruit...

X2.....

new-crisler-floor.jpg

DR said:
Michigan reportedly made the cut for Mitch McGary's final 6 schools...

Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan, Duke and Kentucky

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6846645/mitch-mcgary-narrows-six

Oops! Just saw this, I didn't mean to start another thread about it!

Anyways, nice to see him considering us. Hopefully we can continue to make progress!

I'm excited for this season and to see what THardaway among others has done to improve!

myczk1aj said:
DR said:
Michigan reportedly made the cut for Mitch McGary's final 6 schools...

Florida, Maryland, North Carolina, Michigan, Duke and Kentucky

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/recruiting/basketball/mens/story/_/id/6846645/mitch-mcgary-narrows-six

Oops! Just saw this, I didn't mean to start another thread about it!

Anyways, nice to see him considering us. Hopefully we can continue to make progress!

I'm excited for this season and to see what THardaway among others has done to improve!

Ha, I was just about to reply to your thread. Thanks for doing my job for me!

But yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up, but with the Robinson connection I think there's a legitimate chance. Especially if he's just planning on playing for a year you'd have to think playing with your best friend who's also a hell of an athlete would be enticing.

I don't follow UM basketball too closely but... This team was so close before Morris left. Prior to his leaving I would have said that their biggest need was to find a second post defender. Morgan needed help. Horford showed flashes of the ability but not the body.

I am one of those that believes to really challenge for a title (conference or otherwise) you need a dynamic point guard. I am not sure Michigan can make a serious run without Morris unless they find a diamond in the rough type player like the Buckeyes did with Aaron Craft.

silverbullet97 said:
I don't follow UM basketball too closely but... This team was so close before Morris left. Prior to his leaving I would have said that their biggest need was to find a second post defender. Morgan needed help. Horford showed flashes of the ability but not the body.

I am one of those that believes to really challenge for a title (conference or otherwise) you need a dynamic point guard. I am not sure Michigan can make a serious run without Morris unless they find a diamond in the rough type player like the Buckeyes did with Aaron Craft.

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but Horford is supposedly up to 250. That number seems a little far fetched, but he should be able to battle a little harder down low.

Well, as much as a Mr. Basketball from Ohio can be considered a diamond in the rough, we're hoping Trey Burke is one. I think he'll be able to find his niche offensively, but they might have to cover up for him a little bit on defense. No doubt the prospects would have been much brighter with Morris.

Morgan definitely needs help and a little more discipline to stay out of foul trouble but he looks like a hard worker that will continually get better. I think he could be a heck of a hard nosed presence in the coming years.

DR said:
silverbullet97 said:

Not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but Horford is supposedly up to 250. That number seems a little far fetched, but he should be able to battle a little harder down low.

Well, as much as a Mr. Basketball from Ohio can be considered a diamond in the rough, we're hoping Trey Burke is one. I think he'll be able to find his niche offensively, but they might have to cover up for him a little bit on defense. No doubt the prospects would have been much brighter with Morris.
I have no doubts Burke will be good. I just don't know if he will be fully ready as a true freshman to run the team like a point guard should. Outside of point guard, this is a pretty solid Michigan squad (based on last years finish). With teams like Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State scrambling to replace their losses from last year, Michigan is a team that could make some noise in the conference standings.

***Note, I am fully aware of the amount of talent on my Buckeyes but I don't see how you can replace the leadership of guys like Lighty, Lauderdale, and Diebler. Talent-wise, it looks like a great team but who knows what will happen to chemistry when guys start losing their minutes as the season wears on.

Sorry to derail a bit but...

Should be an interesting year in the Big Ten this year. Its the kind of year that Wisconsin tends to roll over most of the conference because of their system. They tend to be the most consistent team in the conference (during the regular season) year in and year out. MSU was crazy last year. I don't know if it was bad chemistry or what but that team fell apart. They are a big question mark. Purdue should struggle given their losses. Indiana should be interesting. Crean's players are starting to mature its time for some tangible results from Hoosierland or else they may be back in the market for a new coach.

silverbullet97 said:
DR said:

I have no doubts Burke will be good. I just don't know if he will be fully ready as a true freshman to run the team like a point guard should. Outside of point guard, this is a pretty solid Michigan squad (based on last years finish). With teams like Purdue, Ohio State, and Michigan State scrambling to replace their losses from last year, Michigan is a team that could make some noise in the conference standings.

***Note, I am fully aware of the amount of talent on my Buckeyes but I don't see how you can replace the leadership of guys like Lighty, Lauderdale, and Diebler. Talent-wise, it looks like a great team but who knows what will happen to chemistry when guys start losing their minutes as the season wears on.

OSU will be fine.. Diebler will be tough to replace just because of the element he brought to the floor with his 3 ball but they have way more superior athletes than he ever dreamed of being. Lauderdale was a bum and his minutes seemingly dwindled as time went on and more talented players rolled in. Lighty will be replaced easily talent wise but as far as leadership who knows? Lighty was quite possibly the most overrated defender I have ever witnessed. He had his games/moments but overall Craft, Buford and Fatass, will be just fine. I hope UM can take it to them though.

Yeah, I was really hoping Buford and Fatass would leave, but I guess I'll have to wait another year for that.

Hungry said:
Yeah, I was really hoping Buford and Fatass would leave, but I guess I'll have to wait another year for that.

They have some nice recruits coming in as well

But it sure is fun to be excited again about Michigan basketball again.

[color=#006400 said:
biggunsbob[/color]]But it sure is fun to be excited again about Michigan basketball again.

I'm a sucker, I get pretty excited every year but I get what you mean. Finally feels like they're not only going in the right direction, but that they're right on the brink of being a major basketball program after all of these years. The recruiting of late has been remarkable compared to years past. Kids want to play for UM again and its a great thing to see.

silverbullet97 said:

I'd be more inclined to agree with the assessment that OSU will be scrambling if they had lost either Buford or Fatass. But the former figuratively, and the latter literally, will be rocks that the team will be able to rely on all year. I'm with Beez in thinking Lighty was overrated and Lauderdale was a waste of space, but I do appreciate the loss of leadership. That could be something that's lacking with Buford being more of a quiet, lead by example type, but maybe Craft will step up in that regard.

I do think Buford is a hell of a player though. If he could just pretend he was playing Michigan each game he'd be a player of the year candidate.

Oh yeah, I do share your questions about Burke in his first year, and it is a shame Michigan won't be able to take full advantage of a slightly down league (compared to last year, but I still think it'll be pretty good) with Morris on the team. What really sucks from a Michigan perspective is that it's very possible that one of the main reasons Morris left was because so many other talented players, including the above mentioned duo, stayed.

http://www.umhoops.com/

ESPN announced the locations for the upcoming season of College GameDay this morning. The basketball edition of the show will make eight stops on the road, one of which will take Jay Bilas, Digger Phelps, Hubert Davis and Bob Knight to Ann Arbor.

GameDay is scheduled to stop in Ann Arbor on February 18th to watch the Wolverines host Ohio State.

GameDay will also visit Florida State, Pittsburgh, Arizona, Missouri, Vanderbilt and Connecticut with a final stop in Durham or Lawrence.

I updated my long ass post from the first page with current recruiting rankings for the 2012 and 2013 kids and will continue to do so. Highlighted in red, so you don't have to comb through it.

Back