Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Red Wings

Old 06-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #1

Red Wings @ Draft 2017

Red Wings takes towering center Michael Rasmussen with the 9th overall pick.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=286738

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2017, 11:09 PM   #2

Is it a good pick?

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:08 AM   #3

He's from the WHL, I never watch that league.

He's tall at 198cm (6'5)... so thats a plus. Dunno how he'll be against bigger/stronger opponents. The average height in the NHL is 6'2. He was scoring a point per game in WHL but its not like he was tearing the league on fire considering he is 87th in league scoring. On point per game basis is 47th.

But like I said, I don't watch the league so I don't know what to expect from him. Seeing scoring highlights is one thing (shows what he can do offensively) but you have to watch a couple games to asses how he is overall.

My guess is he was taken most for his size rather than his skill. Haven't seen Rasmussen play so can't say for certain. Last season Stanley from Windsor Spitfires was chosen in the first round for his size. Difference with Stanley is guys who are in the 5' range push him around and he is crap defensively for the OHL level. I've seen/heard Stanley get yelled at by Spitfire fans during home games. Guess the hope is he puts on tons of muscle and can actually use his size but he plays more like Ericsson. Big body who dosen't use his size, has no shot, passing ability is limited, and defensively isn't great.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240108
Old 06-24-2017, 12:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polish-Hammer View Post
He's from the WHL, I never watch that league.

He's tall at 198cm (6'5)... so thats a plus. Dunno how he'll be against bigger/stronger opponents. The average height in the NHL is 6'2. He was scoring a point per game in WHL but its not like he was tearing the league on fire considering he is 87th in league scoring. On point per game basis is 47th.

But like I said, I don't watch the league so I don't know what to expect from him. Seeing scoring highlights is one thing (shows what he can do offensively) but you have to watch a couple games to asses how he is overall.

My guess is he was taken most for his size rather than his skill. Haven't seen Rasmussen play so can't say for certain. Last season Stanley from Windsor Spitfires was chosen in the first round for his size. Difference with Stanley is guys who are in the 5' range push him around and he is crap defensively for the OHL level. I've seen/heard Stanley get yelled at by Spitfire fans during home games. Guess the hope is he puts on tons of muscle and can actually use his size but he plays more like Ericsson. Big body who dosen't use his size, has no shot, passing ability is limited, and defensively isn't great.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=240108
Thanks for the insight.

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
Old 06-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #5

Just watched a 15 minute highlight package of his points... not impressive.

Brian Boyle potential... if he improves defensively.

506th in +/- which is a useless stat unless comparing it to his teammates. Oh wait he is 23rd on his team.

My expectations just dropped a little lower.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #6

Words can't describe how bad this pick is.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #7

Wasn't this year considered a pretty bad draft in general? No superstars, and maybe no all stars. I'm not saying this was a good pick, but the kid seems solid, which seems to be the best this draft had to offer.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:17 PM   #8

Depends what you define as a star player, but its highly unlikely there will be no stars in the draft class. A weaker than normal draft class does not mean it is an absymal draft class.

The Leafs got a considerably more of a sure thing with Liljegren at 17th. Much like Chychrun who dropped last year to 16th overall despite being one of the top defenseman in the draft. Red Wings chose a big guy because.... well he is big and are making massive gamble he will develop. You never know with prospects, sometimes they just kick it into overdrive after the draft like Tyler Bertuzzi did. But as things stand, Detroit took size over skill and passed on many better players.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:21 AM   #9

Red Wings went after size in this draft. That was pretty clear. Hopefully it will work out !!
FIND A DAMN RUNNING BACK!
Old 06-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #10

Recap of Detroit picks for rounds 2-7.

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments...rom-rounds-2-7