Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
grandy   grandy is online now
Senior Member
 
grandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,594
The Case for a Run Coordinator

https://www.prideofdetroit.com/2017/...8-jim-caldwell

It’s not too common in the NFL (yet), but it looks to have helped some teams...and the Lions need all the help they can get for the ground game.

Thought this was pretty interesting too:

“Time for changes on Caldwell's staff. OL coach Ron Prince needs to be replaced. Have allowed the second most sacks and can't run the ball. Coincidentally, haven't had a 100 yard rusher in four years. Detroit hired Prince in 2013.”

https://twitter.com/pfnnewmedia/stat...643215362?s=17



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #2
kdp1980   kdp1980 is offline
Senior Member
 
kdp1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,541
Wonder what the holdup is
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:52 PM   #3
LKP   LKP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12,883
The Lions had a run game coordinator in 2013 with Curtis Modkins. Last time they ran decently. They should fire Prince and add a run game coordinator with a new Oline coach
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
kdp1980   kdp1980 is offline
Senior Member
 
kdp1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 4,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKP View Post
The Lions had a run game coordinator in 2013 with Curtis Modkins. Last time they ran decently. They should fire Prince and add a run game coordinator with a new Oline coach
Does this narrow down the problem or is it just aiding to poor play calls, purous rbs, and lackluster run blocking?
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 02:55 PM   #5
LKP   LKP is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 12,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp1980 View Post
Does this narrow down the problem or is it just aiding to poor play calls, purous rbs, and lackluster run blocking?
It would fix the play calling and help the run blocking with the proper scheme with the right guy. Oline coach would help the run blocking as well with the right guy with the right scheme. Health of Oline and RBs should also help. Adding a power back to share with Abdullah would help too. This all leads to better run success which can lead to more carries, more first downs due to better down and distance which leads to a better offense
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #6
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp1980 View Post
Wonder what the holdup is
If you think someone needs to be fired, in the Lions org. wait about 3-5 years longer.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:45 PM   #7
tigermud   tigermud is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 20,607
Lions' 100-yard RB drought turns 4 years old, closes in on NFL record

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...ught_turn.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #8
grandy   grandy is online now
Senior Member
 
grandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 9,594
I honestly think the 100-yard drought is a bit overblown, especially since the league has shifted away from heavy-load one-RB-type backfields.

What's more concerning is the lack of 100-yard team rushing yard games.

Here are the number of games with total team rushing yards above 100 since thanksgiving 2014 (by season):

2014 (3 games): 2
2015 (16 games): 6
2016 (16 games): 3
2017 (11 games): 2

Total: 13 out of 46 games (28%)


If you lower that to just 75 yard games, it also isn't pretty:

2014 (3 games): 3
2015 (16 games): 9
2016 (16 games): 11
2017 (11 games): 4

Total: 27 out of 46 games (59%)


They can't even manage 75 yards as a team in a little under half of their games.


Want more?

Here are the counts of games with 4.0 YPA or higher:

2014 (3 games): 2
2015 (16 games): 7
2016 (16 games): 7
2017 (11 games): 2

Total: 18 out of 46 games (39%)


One could argue that the yard totals are misleading due to low attempts, but they aren't even efficient in more than half their games.

To give you an idea of how that compares...so far in 2017, 22 out of 32 teams are averaging 4.0 YPA or higher for the entire season. League average is 4.1 YPA.

The run game is bad, really bad, no matter how you look at it. I don't care if they've been primarily passing teams, they're not even efficient when opposing defenses are more worried about the pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is online now
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandy View Post
I honestly think the 100-yard drought is a bit overblown, especially since the league has shifted away from heavy-load one-RB-type backfields.

What's more concerning is the lack of 100-yard team rushing yard games.

Here are the number of games with total team rushing yards above 100 since thanksgiving 2014 (by season):

2014 (3 games): 2
2015 (16 games): 6
2016 (16 games): 3
2017 (11 games): 2

Total: 13 out of 46 games (28%)


If you lower that to just 75 yard games, it also isn't pretty:

2014 (3 games): 3
2015 (16 games): 9
2016 (16 games): 11
2017 (11 games): 4

Total: 27 out of 46 games (59%)


They can't even manage 75 yards as a team in a little under half of their games.


Want more?

Here are the counts of games with 4.0 YPA or higher:

2014 (3 games): 2
2015 (16 games): 7
2016 (16 games): 7
2017 (11 games): 2

Total: 18 out of 46 games (39%)


One could argue that the yard totals are misleading due to low attempts, but they aren't even efficient in more than half their games.

To give you an idea of how that compares...so far in 2017, 22 out of 32 teams are averaging 4.0 YPA or higher for the entire season. League average is 4.1 YPA.

The run game is bad, really bad, no matter how you look at it. I don't care if they've been primarily passing teams, they're not even efficient when opposing defenses are more worried about the pass.
I don't know. This tells me we are on the outside looking in when it comes to running the ball..

http://www.footballdb.com/stats/100-yard-rushing.html

Numbers may be off but it points to 25 different runners with 100 or more rushing yards this season. Still 5 games to.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!

Last edited by Mitchrapp; 11-29-2017 at 06:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:54 AM   #10
brewer229   brewer229 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,164
Our running game is just so inconsistent it is hard to keep at the run. We don't run the ball often, so I expect us to be near the bottom of the league in yards.

The biggest issue is the amount of negative plays.

We actually aren't bad in bigger plays. In 10+ yard rushes we are ranked 16th for % of runs over 10 Yards (10.5% are 10 yards or more). We are top 10 in runs of 20 yards or more (2.73%).

Where we suck at is we get 0 or negative yards on 31.2% of our run plays. Only Miami is worse. League average is 23.2%

So it makes it tough to run more, because on nearly a 1/3 of the plays result in 0 or negative yards. When we don't get into 2nd and 6, it makes it tough to keep running. without frequent rush attempts you will never put up good yards.
Look at Minnesota game, people walked away with the impression they ran all over us, fact is, they did very little for 58 minutes of the game. 1.1 YPC for majority of the game, but they kept at it and ran for 75 yards in one drive on 4 plays.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.