Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Detroit Lions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2017, 02:37 PM   #21
dubbsco   dubbsco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,987
I get it, but a TON of money was poured into fixing this line in the off-season. Those guys battled some injuries, so if they are healthy, it may improve things.

The fact they haven't had a RB go for 100 in like a million games should speak to the fact they just haven't had a talented guy back there. For crying out loud, look at Geo Bernard. Dude is an OK RB, and he busted 100 against us, and something tells me judging from the stats that Cincy's o-line is junk.



Login or Register to Remove Ads
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:45 PM   #22
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
I get it, but a TON of money was poured into fixing this line in the off-season. Those guys battled some injuries, so if they are healthy, it may improve things.

The fact they haven't had a RB go for 100 in like a million games should speak to the fact they just haven't had a talented guy back there. For crying out loud, look at Geo Bernard. Dude is an OK RB, and he busted 100 against us, and something tells me judging from the stats that Cincy's o-line is junk.
The OL is overrated, healthy or not. Good running game we still lose games. Imo. We've been trying to fix the OL for years try the other side of the ball..
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #23
dtroitlionsfan951   dtroitlionsfan951 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchrapp View Post
The OL is overrated, healthy or not. Good running game we still lose games. Imo. We've been trying to fix the OL for years try the other side of the ball..
Meh i disagree partially. I do agree I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. BUT we do need to at least get our running game to average. Being as bad as we are at it can't continue forever. I would say offensively we need to shore up LG let go of swanson get a tight end who can catch in the red zone and a good back. Everything else needs to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited by dtroitlionsfan951; 12-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #24
mhughes0021   mhughes0021 is offline
Senior Member
 
mhughes0021's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 21,152
I don't know how you guys expect to have a 100 yd rusher. Everytime we ruin the ball there is 5 posts on the game thread about how shitty our oc is.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:55 PM   #25
lucke   lucke is offline
Senior Member
 
lucke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
I get it, but a TON of money was poured into fixing this line in the off-season. Those guys battled some injuries, so if they are healthy, it may improve things.

The fact they haven't had a RB go for 100 in like a million games should speak to the fact they just haven't had a talented guy back there. For crying out loud, look at Geo Bernard. Dude is an OK RB, and he busted 100 against us, and something tells me judging from the stats that Cincy's o-line is junk.
If the run block scheme is crap, it doesn't matter how much is invested in the players. Fix the scheme with the new coaches and mediocre RBs can look good and good RBs can look great.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #26
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtroitlionsfan951 View Post
Meh i disagree partially. I do agree I'm more concerned with the other side of the ball. BUT we do need to at least get our running game to average. Being as bad as we are at it can't continue forever. I would say offensively we need to shore up LG let go of swanson get a tight end who can catch in the red zone and a good back. Everything else needs to be on the defensive side of the ball.
But I'm not sure I'd want any of those offensive guys drafted high. Maybe get a LG in free agency. I don't see needing another TE. If you want TD, and Red Zone targets grab a WR.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:09 PM   #27
dubbsco   dubbsco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,987
But the Lions don't even have a mediocre RB. They don't have ANY threat. Riddick is nice, but he's a WR playing out of the backfield.

I'm not saying with the 1st round, but they need to take a good RB early.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #28
Mitchrapp   Mitchrapp is offline
Moderator
 
Mitchrapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 38,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbsco View Post
But the Lions don't even have a mediocre RB. They don't have ANY threat. Riddick is nice, but he's a WR playing out of the backfield.

I'm not saying with the 1st round, but they need to take a good RB early.
So we grab a RB, same shit OL - same results. That's what I'm seeing.
__________________
Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak a sunrise past a Rooster -- Joe Adcock

What are we at the park for except to win? I'd trip my mother. I'd help her up, brush her off, tell her I'm sorry. But mother don't make it to third -- Leo Durocher

The NFL can kiss my ass!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #29
boogerlovejoy   boogerlovejoy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MI
Posts: 7,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucke View Post
If the run block scheme is crap, it doesn't matter how much is invested in the players. Fix the scheme with the new coaches and mediocre RBs can look good and good RBs can look great.
I agree. This running scheme is garbage. How many 2nd and more than 10 situations have we had this year? It's pathetic. You guys can rip on Abdullah all you want.....and he isn't great.....but he's not nearly as bad as the Lions scheme makes him out to be.

Absolutely pointless to bring in anyone else if we're going to run the same BULLSHIT blocking scheme next year.

If Jim Brown and Barry Sanders had a love child that got the best attributes from both runners.....he'd have trouble averaging 4.0 yards/carry in this offense.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #30
dubbsco   dubbsco is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 8,987
Well I think we are arguing different stuff here. If the schemes are crap, then you could make the case that ANYONE could be drafted at ANY position. That's kind of a different direction than the real argument.

I think the O-line can be okay. A lot of money was spent to repair it, and sadly those two guys were hurt often.

An elite/very good RB could help mask some of the deficiencies. But yeah, the scheme is like the ex machina with this conversation.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.