Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Playoff Idea

biggunsbob

Well its not mine but it was Chris Osgood who btw is recovering from hernia surgery had a decent idea the other night.

Add one more team in each conference a 9th team and have the 8th and 9th place team play a 1 game play in game for the 8th spot.
The the winner has to fly the next night and do a turn around and play the number one seed in the opening round. I bet like baseball it would be a success. It also gives the number one seed something for being number one. I tired team playing a back to back game in game one of the series. I like it.. Now Daren Elliot had a good idea also.. Even up the damn conferences NHL.. It is stupid to have 16 in the east and 14 teams in the west.. Damn that is dumb..Even it up NHL!!

so right now 16 out of 30 teams get into the playoffs and he wants 18 of 30. I think there are already too many...why expand it?

More money and excitement it brings like baseballs 1 game wildcard brings.. I also like the idea of giving the number 1 seed some sort of advantage they do not receive now. Also with the way hockey is set it it always feels like there are a few teams with really decent records on the 9-11 spots in each conference trying to get in... it's just 1 game also ... again I am just interested in the #1 seed getting a added benefit. ..

Last edited:
More money and excitement it brings like baseballs 1 game wildcard brings.. I also like the idea of giving the number 1 seed some sort of advantage they do not receive now. Also with the way hockey is set it it always feels like there are a few teams with really decent records on the 9-11 spots in each conference trying to get in... it's just 1 game also ... again I am just interested in the #1 seed getting a added benefit. ..

I understand, but baseball went from 27% to 33% making the playoffs. If the NHL went to 18 teams in they would be allowing 60% of the teams in...that just seems to be WAY too many teams making the playoffs. Just my opinion.

21 of the 30 teams had at least 90 points last season. So I am not against a 9th team.

21 of the 30 teams had at least 90 points last season. So I am not against a 9th team.

I'm against the points system! I find it very odd...you lose but you still get points because you were tied at the end of regulation? WTF?

Yeah for sure the point system is another topic all together. That is for sure. One thing that on three has done has been to cut down on those damn shootouts we all hated here in Detroit..More games are being settled.. But getting a point for a tie then losing is puzzling. Some college league like the big ten use the three point system. Maybe it is better But I am unsure.. Maybe there would be more separation?

Maybe the three point system is better..
Win in regulation is 3 points.
Win in overtime is 3 points.
Shootout win is 2 points.
Shootout loss/tie is 1 point.

I agree with Bob on the 3 pt system...

3 pts per game, total, regardless of the outcome.

Win in Reg: 3 pts
Win in OT/Shootout: 2 Pts
Lose in OT/Shootout: 1 pt

Its stupid to have some games worth more than others...too many people are concerned about 'the recordbooks' and how having 3 pts per game will make the record for most points in a season obsolete. I think that's absurd...first of all, the 'record books' are already messed up since they started adding an extra point for making it to OT. Also, just keep record of most wins in a season, don't put a damn point value on it! NHL is literally the only (american) sport that does that shit...

Last edited:

Its stupid to have some games worth more than others...too many people are concerned about 'the recordbooks' and how having 3 pts per game will make the record for most points in a season obsolete. I think that's absurd...first of all, the 'record books' are already messed up since they started adding an extra point for making it to OT. Also, just keep record of most wins in a season, don't put a damn point value on it! NHL is literally the only (american) sport that does that shit...

I don't understand it either.

As for the West less teams than East. yea thats annoying as well, but I cant complain too much, as the Wings move to the eastern conf is what 'threw off' the balance. I mean technically you could 'push' Columbus back to the west, but they are further east than we are.

I think the best course of action would be expansion....add two teams to the western conference. Forget about adding another team to Quebec, give one to any two of Las Vegas, Seattle or Kansas City. Boom, two 16 team leagues...

I'm against the points system! I find it very odd...you lose but you still get points because you were tied at the end of regulation? WTF?

I'd play a 10-minute 5-on-5 OT and call it a tie if no team scores.

They used to have W-L-T, and 2 teams each got 1 point when a tie happened.
then it was W-L-T-OTL and I'm not sure if ties and OTLs got 1 point, but wins definitely got 2 points.
then it was W-L-OTL and OTLs get 1 point, and of course each game has a winner, and the winner gets 2 points.

So, the record books are a bit of a mess anyway, since they have been through three different systems!

They used to have W-L-T, and 2 teams each got 1 point when a tie happened.
then it was W-L-T-OTL and I'm not sure if ties and OTLs got 1 point, but wins definitely got 2 points.
then it was W-L-OTL and OTLs get 1 point, and of course each game has a winner, and the winner gets 2 points.

So, the record books are a bit of a mess anyway, since they have been through three different systems!

I agree. Change is good. I like this idea..

Back