Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chris Spielman's son and others in trouble

LOL, that's his kid!!?!?

I saw the mugshots from the story, and the smirk on the Spielman kid's face and thought to myself "Jeez, he looks like a cocky idiot, just like another Spielman I know."

why did his kid go there, of all places? it's a small, strict, Christian school in the Chicago exurbs. if he just wanted to play football somewhere and wasn't good enough for D-1, I'm sure he still coulda found more fun places to be. at least ones that aren't strict like Wheaton is.

I'm not sure "strict like Wheaton" has anything to do with it. This is wrong everywhere. I'm curious this was over a year ago and just reported now?

I'm not sure "strict like Wheaton" has anything to do with it. This is wrong everywhere. I'm curious this was over a year ago and just reported now?

I agree it's wrong everywhere.

I'm just wondering why Spielman's kid - who is obviously a jackass - would pick that place instead of a more "babes and brews" friendly campus. I never got the sense Spielman was a religious guy (Bo described him chewing tobacco in his office as a 18 year old kid while on a recruiting visit).

I read that he originally went to Toledo but transferred after one year. The article said he was a "devout Christian"

from Bob's article:

...told police he was in his dormitory room watching basketball on television in March 2016 when his teammates tackled him, put a pillowcase over his head and punched him when he yelled at them to stop.

The student alleges the five put him in the back seat of a car and ? with Middle Eastern music playing ? made offensive comments about Muslims and told him he was being kidnapped by Muslims who wanted to have sex with goats and that he would be their ?goat? for the night.
According to the Tribune report, the freshman told investigators his teammates restrained him with more duct tape during the drive, pulled down his shorts and underwear, then repeatedly tried to insert an object into his rectum. After the freshman yelled at them to stop, he was beaten, he said. The players drove to a park located off campus and carried the freshman onto a baseball diamond, according to his account. The players threw dirt on the teen, took his cellphone and left him half-naked on the field, the victim told the Tribune.​

Sounds like a devout Christian, alright...

I believe that's the same hazing ritual Christ and the apostles followed whenever a new apostle pledged their frat.

Just because you say you're Christian doesn't mean you are..

claim is not just a Christian in this case, DEVOUT Christian.

He's a piece of shit. If all true I hope he gets a big punishment, all of them. What happened to the hazing when all you had to do or did was tie someone's shoelaces around a post.

Last edited:
Yeah this is really bad. Hope the punishment is severe.

Hazing is a college ritual which has led to causing freshmen sports-sorority/fraternity pledges to perform or permit some extremely dangerous and demeaning things, and in the most severe cases, has led to second-degree murder, manslaughter, suicide, sickness, overdoses, alcohol poisoning, rape, and/or disfigurement. Especially in the oldest former same-sex universities, and Ivy League colleges where hazing is probably more prevalent. The lingering emotional effects can last loong past the time spent in school, and probable lifetimes, like the legendary "skull and crossbones" fraternity/society, that probably was/is not unlike becoming a made man in La Cosa Nostra.

Several years ago, I seem to recall reading an article where a UM fraternity destroyed a northern MI hunting/skiing lodge (or similar), but don't remember what, if anything, was done about catching/punishing the perps.

Last edited:
Hazing is a college ritual which has led to causing freshmen sports-sorority/fraternity pledges to perform or permit some extremely dangerous and demeaning things, and in the most severe cases, has led to second-degree murder, manslaughter, suicide, sickness, overdoses, alcohol poisoning, rape, and/or disfigurement. Especially in the oldest former same-sex universities, and Ivy League colleges where hazing is probably more prevalent. The lingering emotional effects can last loong past the time spent in school, and probable lifetimes, like the legendary "skull and crossbones" fraternity/society, that probably was/is not unlike becoming a made man in La Cosa Nostra.

Several years ago, I seem to recall reading an article where a UM fraternity destroyed a northern MI hunting/skiing lodge (or similar), but don't remember what, if anything, was done about catching/punishing the perps.

the ski lodge thing was extensively covered in the freep and Detroit News. I think the houses involved got booted off campus. IIRC, the lodge was trying to bring criminal charges, but the kids who did the worst of it refused to come forward and the rest of them wouldn't rat out their bros.

UM actually had a pretty low tolerance for fraternity hijinks when I was there, and I assume it's only gotten lower since then.

the ski lodge thing was extensively covered in the freep and Detroit News. I think the houses involved got booted off campus. IIRC, the lodge was trying to bring criminal charges, but the kids who did the worst of it refused to come forward and the rest of them wouldn't rat out their bros.

UM actually had a pretty low tolerance for fraternity hijinks when I was there, and I assume it's only gotten lower since then.

I haven't read the News or Freep much in print or text since the strike of the mid-90s, except for news/sports articles linked by other sites/forums online. But in hindsight, I imagine that the strike would not have occurred, had the unions known in advance what utter devastation that the advent and proliferation of broadband internet would cause to subscription print media in the 21st century.

I subscribed to Wired, RS, Alternative Press, Spin, HuH, Goldmine, Music Video Monthly, Entertainment, Consumer Reports, and Newsweek in the 90s, but by '04, none.

Last edited:
Back