Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

All Things Must Pass...

turok

The late Beatle George Harrison's memorial tree killed
...by beetles.

This sort of thing should happen more often to other classic rock bands.

the Cass Elliott Memorial destroyed by some mamas and papas.

the Brian Jones Memorial destroyed by a bunch of rolling stones (in a landslide)

the Keith Moon Memorial destroyed by who?

This sort of thing should happen more often to other classic rock bands.

the Cass Elliott Memorial destroyed by some mamas and papas.

the Brian Jones Memorial destroyed by a bunch of rolling stones (in a landslide)

the Keith Moon Memorial destroyed by who?

Pete Townsend and Roger Daltrey?

Oh I got one...John Bonham Memorial Destroyed in Freak Blimp Crash..."

I'll try to come up with more.

Would the Buddy Holly Memorial being destroyed by Crickets be too much like really happened to the Harrison Memorial Tree to work?

Would the Buddy Holly Memorial being destroyed by Crickets be too much like really happened to the Harrison Memorial Tree to work?

no, that's pretty good actually.

The band's name has to be an person, animal or thing capable of physical action on its own.

So... "Jim Morrison's Grave Destroyed By the Doors" wouldn't work.

Jimi Hendrix's grave destroyed by band of gypsies.

Janis Joplin's grave destroyed by... someone's older brother who has a holding company.

Dennis and Carl Wilson Memorial destroyed by Michael Sorrentino and Vinny Guadagnino.

It's pretty nerdy...but if you allow for some semantics, the Bradley Nowell Monument could just turn into gas on a hot day.

It's pretty nerdy...but if you allow for some semantics, the Bradley Nowell Monument could just turn into gas on a hot day.

Would it not later have to revert to it's solid form on a sub zero day for it to be semantically correct?

"The Bradley Nowell Memorial was removed today after having been withered away by the elements of the changing seasons over the years..."

Last edited:
Would it not later have to revert to it's solid form on a sub zero day for it to be semantically correct?

"The Bradley Nowell Memorial was removed today after having been withered away by the elements of the changing seasons over the years..."

I don't think so. It's a one-way verb, like evaporate. Sublimate is more commonly used, but I think they mean the same thing.

I don't think so. It's a one-way verb, like evaporate. Sublimate is more commonly used, but I think they mean the same thing.

Well, you're the scientist. I'm just applying the definition according Merriam-Webster:

: to cause to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state and condense back to solid form

If I were to re-write my cause of destruction, I would definitely specify the primary elements that caused the destruction as being water damage by the seasonally changing forms of water - water, ice, melting and evaporation, then the cycle again over and over.

I think your concept is good though; I think it's valid in the context of - whatever we call what we're doing here.

I'm still waiting to hear back from MichChamp about the whole blown doors in a tornado thing.

EDIT: Erosion, that's the word I was looking for.

Last edited:
What if a tornado missed the memorial, but ripped a couple of doors off a nearby structure, which went flying into the memorial and destroyed it?

that could work. But certainly as the board's resident funnyman, you must be aware of the saying "brevity is the soul of wit" and therefore know that having to explain the sort of complex set of circumstances that would lead to doors destroying Jim Morrison's grave/memorial would be too long to be funny.

Well, you're the scientist. I'm just applying the definition according Merriam-Webster:

: to cause to pass directly from the solid to the vapor state and condense back to solid form

If I were to re-write my cause of destruction, I would definitely specify the primary elements that caused the destruction as being water damage by the seasonally changing forms of water - water, ice, melting and evaporation, then the cycle again over and over.

I think your concept is good though; I think it's valid in the context of - whatever we call what we're doing here.

I'm still waiting to hear back from MichChamp about the whole blown doors in a tornado thing.

EDIT: Erosion, that's the word I was looking for.

As soon as you specify the element, it gets tricky. Most things melt and then evaporate at most pressures we deal with (which means it doesn't count). Things that sublimate at typical temperatures and pressures are unlikely building materials for memorials. Dry ice is the go-to example, build the memorial out of dry ice and we're good.

Last edited:
that could work. But certainly as the board's resident funnyman, you must be aware of the saying "brevity is the soul of wit" and therefore know that having to explain the sort of complex set of circumstances that would lead to doors destroying Jim Morrison's grave/memorial would be too long to be funny.

Same problem with Nowell, but I was feeling like I was in good shape with Mercury.

Back