Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

X-Files back tonight

No doubt, there will always be crap. I think it's silly to say this or that generation is so much better than another. There's a lot more today for everyone, but that means there is SO much more crap. Just my opinion, but reality TV has really hamstrung quality because it is incredibly frequent and it dominates the market.

But to the initial point, saying X-Files being popular shows how bad TV is, that's just a really poor statement. X-Files is the most iconic sci-fi show of all time, and it really isn't all that close. People love Twilight Zone, but more so because it was a trend-setter. X-Files had some of the most gripping episodes you'll ever see.

I think Star Trek is far more iconic than X-Files.

Do we have to fight now?

Last edited:
Nah, can't argue with that. I'm a trekkie at heart. Both iconic in their own generations. But, I think Star Trek had a really big "nerd" stigma attached to it, and X-Files seemed to be more catered just to curious minds.

However, this also goes back to my old point about older TV, especially sci-fi. The new sci-fi is crapola. Shows like Trek and X-Files don't come around anymore.

Nah, can't argue with that. I'm a trekkie at heart. Both iconic in their own generations. But, I think Star Trek had a really big "nerd" stigma attached to it, and X-Files seemed to be more catered just to curious minds.

However, this also goes back to my old point about older TV, especially sci-fi. The new sci-fi is crapola. Shows like Trek and X-Files don't come around anymore.

I thought Fringe was pretty great.

To play devil's advocate a bit, isn't it a negative that we have so many options? With the short attention span people have today and the gazillions of options, it's hard for a TV show to really take over nowadays. It happens on occasion, but not nearly as much.

To play devil's advocate a bit, isn't it a negative that we have so many options? With the short attention span people have today and the gazillions of options, it's hard for a TV show to really take over nowadays. It happens on occasion, but not nearly as much.

I think we have less of a shared culture.

Use to be someone would air The Wizard of Oz once a year and you'd know a lot of people watched it last night because if you didn't watch, your next chance would be next year. Then the VCR came out and nobody ever watched it any more.

Back