Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Cowspiracy

Agreed.

You think about all the water restrictions that get enacted. "If it's yellow let it mellow...." But skipping 1 burger a month is equivalent to not flushing 13 times a day.

At :35 of the youtube clip, the dweeb with the 3 large gauge earrings in the one ear and the diamond chip in his nose makes up a word: "champoning".

damn those cows look good, but I already had some leftover chili for dinner...so i'll just have to eat some cow tomorrow...probably have steaks. looking forward to it! DELICIOUS!!! :D

Too each his own but they are doing a second film and are being targeted by federal authorities. The info in the documentary is solid back up with facts if you open your eyes. I never knew that the Agricultural waste run off methane was worse the petroleum and auto emmisons . So weird the cover up. But then people are paid off or lobbied off..

The great news is after a month off dairy pasteurized pus and less meat intake my body feels much better....Damn juice is powerful. ..information is powerful if you just open your eyes... The FDA is a joke .it's been crap for years.. Get Americans fat and inslaved by sugar,meat,ect,ect,ect..

660 gallons of water to make 1 fast food burger.. I guess we really don't care about our kids and Thier kids future wellbeing .

Last edited:
I love beef. Love it.

But I've cut way back. I've also cut most of the juice out of my diet too though. Too many calories.

I am cutting way back. My wife has been vegan for about 6 months now I still eat it from time to time but I have cut diary out of my diet as best as possible... After getting a juicer and making fresh juice the store bought crap just does not taste good to me anymore. Cutting meat,sugar and dairy out of your diet is so damn hard. Just about everything has that high fructose corn syrup in it. Americans are so addicted to sugar me included. It is a epidemic. Plus the earth imprint it leaves behind. Don't mess with Monsanto because they will fuck you up..

Last edited:
If you track calories, and keep yourself to a limit, you don't really need any other rules. That alone is tough to do and takes discipline. But if you do, you'll stop eating foods with HF corn syrup just because you won't have the available calories.

Also eggs are magic. If you're counting calories to lose weight, in the first couple weeks you'll actually be hungry while you adjust to your new diet. Eggs are about as filling as any 74 calories out there.

The root problem is not the cattle industry. The root problem is too many humans. Earth has finite resources, but outside of China it is considered immoral to try and reduce the human footprint.

Everyone switching to being vegan will not solve the root problem. Eventually the grazing lands will need to be converted to soy farms. The reduced biodiversity from everything being soy plants isn't any better. We humans are flooding the oceans with multiple forms of waste, and a worldwide population increase by billions is a big problem.

Mother Nature will continue trying to slow down the population growth with warnings. From new diseases to antibiotic resistant bacteria to increases in autism and other factors, either we need the warnings or suffer consequences on a massive scale.

Reduced human footprint reduces the cattle footprint and all agriculture footprint. The world should aim to have max 5 billion population, but even that is pushing resources so even fewer is probably better.

Instead we talk about increasing populations, and longer lifespans add to the overpopulation. Humans fail to stay within their environmental max footprint.

But instead we point fingers at the cattle industry and call them bad.

Movie claims they have determined the root cause of all these problems, but really the problem was, is, and will be the Human Industry that causes all of these imbalances in nature.

The other thing that I think was broken about me was that I was living a lifestyle that rarely involved being hungry. There's nothing wrong with waiting until you feel hungry to eat. I think it's how bodies are supposed to work.

I'm not dieting right now, but I packed on a few pounds around Christmas and I'm thinking about starting up again. It felt really good to get to college weight, now I'm eyeballing highschool weight.

The root problem is not the cattle industry. The root problem is too many humans. Earth has finite resources, but outside of China it is considered immoral to try and reduce the human footprint.

Everyone switching to being vegan will not solve the root problem. Eventually the grazing lands will need to be converted to soy farms. The reduced biodiversity from everything being soy plants isn't any better. We humans are flooding the oceans with multiple forms of waste, and a worldwide population increase by billions is a big problem.

Mother Nature will continue trying to slow down the population growth with warnings. From new diseases to antibiotic resistant bacteria to increases in autism and other factors, either we need the warnings or suffer consequences on a massive scale.

Reduced human footprint reduces the cattle footprint and all agriculture footprint. The world should aim to have max 5 billion population, but even that is pushing resources so even fewer is probably better.

Instead we talk about increasing populations, and longer lifespans add to the overpopulation. Humans fail to stay within their environmental max footprint.

Movie claims they have determined the root cause of all these problems, but really the problem was, is, and will be the Human Industry that causes all of these imbalances in nature.

I don't know about calling one or the other the "root" problem. Our levels of calorie consumption in a lot of the developed world exceeds the conditions we evolved to and causes a new set of health problems.

I've never seen a distributions of beef consumption chart, but I suspect it looks a lot like wealth distribution and the top 10-20% consume 50% of the beef. I think this chart supports that claim:

http://languagesoftheworld.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/beef-consumption.jpg

So if you accept that there are too many cows (there are)...

land_mammals.png

I think it's absolutely fair to point to life style as much as population if you could achieve the same thing by getting rid of half the world's population or changing the behavior of 20%. Especially if you were to get rid of half the world's population and let the remaining people develop to US levels of consumption. Then you're right back where you started, even with half the people.

I don't disagree with your points there. Gluttony is a huge part of the Human Industry causing these problems.

I agree and disagree.

Population is exploding toward 9 billion in the future and is a problem as you mentioned but to turn a blind eye at any industry let alone the cattle industry is just factually wrong. The numbers back up how much pollutants are coming from that industry. Numbers do not lie. They are the worst polluting industry on the planet. Plus what you are saying is already happened except it is the aggro cattle industry that is claiming the land to feed it ever growing numbers. Plus you think this is a liberal movie but in fact they go and blast all the organizations Green Peace and other liberal organization for just claiming that global warming is coming from just the petroleum industry. It really is sad that these organizations have basically been bought off by big aggro because they had no clue and he really did
catch all of them off guard..

Last edited:
If you track calories, and keep yourself to a limit, you don't really need any other rules. That alone is tough to do and takes discipline. But if you do, you'll stop eating foods with HF corn syrup just because you won't have the available calories.

Also eggs are magic. If you're counting calories to lose weight, in the first couple weeks you'll actually be hungry while you adjust to your new diet. Eggs are about as filling as any 74 calories out there.

Unfortunately I hate the smell of eggs now days.. I use to like eggs a long time ago but my son who only ways 120 pounds at 18 years old is trying to gain weight so he eats 4 eggs and sweet potatoes most mornings.. the smell gags me..

Last edited:
Also I just cannot stand to watch other species killed. They way we treat chickens,cows, pigs on these mass farms is really deplorable.. Pus in out milk.. Yuck..Watching baby chickens being born and hatched and thrown in a grinder en-mass is just disheartening. Calves taken from mother cows so she will stay in perpetual milking is just awful. They mass in-pregnant the cows and then take the calves away from mother cows. Chickens with breast way to big they cannot walk.. I guess it is the softy in me. I know we all know it has always been done this way. But that does not make it right and ethical?

660 gallons of water to make 1 quarter pounder with cheese :/ WTF. Something is just flat out wrong with that but it is excepted practice by our government. Just drive by some neighborhoods and look at all the fast food place there are. It is a epidemic to keep us fat and enslaved by the corporations..

Last edited:
Gmo's... follow the gmo's. One big vicious circle to keep people sick and perpetually fat..

I wasn't ripping it for a liberal agenda, nor do I disagree that it is an issue, because it is.

However, there are multiple aspects to how humans are screwing up the environment, agriculture is just one.

Do you know what crop uses the most water in the US? Turf grass. Each acre of grass uses roughly an Olympic swimming pool in water every year. There is roughly 40 million acres of turf grass in the US. Over 2 million acres are in the form of golf courses.

Just pointing out there are multiple gluttonous aspects to humanity. There is no need for every house to have the amount of grass that they do. Biodiversity is a problem with grass. What life is in a turf yard? Ants, maybe worms if the soil is decent, grubs...maybe snails. Compare that to a natural landscape with hundreds or thousands of life forms creating a micro ecology.

You are spot on about Monsanto being an evil empire. They provide all kinds of pesticides and herbicides to maintain that nice sterile turf grass lawn so many perpetually keep.

I guess in that sense I prefer the pastures used by cows that are free range, because they add a natural element to those pastures that would likely exist if humans never intruded onto them (though it might not be cows, some antelope variety would be there, along with carnivores to cull the herds).

I do have issue with the mistreatment and tight confinements of animals. That is an immoral practice at best. We imprison people for doing those things to pets, livestock deserve better...and likely would provide a better quality meat if not mistreated.

I just view livestock as a natural part of the environment. The overstocking of livestock is due to the overpopulation of humans, which will cause misuse of land regardless of types of food they eat. Soy, rice, lettuce...any produce...will need vast more acres if livestock are removed from diets. Those acres need water too, and Monsanto will push their GMO products along with herbicides and pesticides to increase yield. They will likely even argue that the amount of water used to provide those yields is greater in organic farms than their GMO/pest/herb yields, and in that one regard are probably accurate for once.

At the end of it all is the basic need for humans to eat.

I find it difficult to say the food industry has enslaved the general population though. People are making conscious decisions to eat their products.

It is far more due to bad parenting skills than the food industry forcing the food down peoples throats. Good parenting is the single best weapon to fighting obesity. There will be kids with metabolism or other biologic reasons behind their obesity, but good parenting skills help kids with those challenge too.

Also I just cannot stand to watch other species killed. They way we treat chickens,cows, pigs on these mass farms is really deplorable.. Pus in out milk.. Yuck..Watching baby chickens being born and hatched and thrown in a grinder en-mass is just disheartening. Calves taken from mother cows so she will stay in perpetual milking is just awful. They mass in-pregnant the cows and then take the calves away from mother cows. Chickens with breast way to big they cannot walk.. I guess it is the softy in me. I know we all know it has always been done this way. But that does not make it right and ethical?

660 gallons of water to make 1 quarter pounder with cheese :/ WTF. Something is just flat out wrong with that but it is excepted practice by our government. Just drive by some neighborhoods and look at all the fast food place there are. It is a epidemic to keep us fat and enslaved by the corporations..

I'm with you up to a point. I think the chicken industry is getting better. Feeding all the people is priority #1, and I think that should include animals and meat, but we have a responsibility to be ethical about it. I love turkey. I won't give it up, but I also don't buy the biggest one I can find anymore. It's ridiculous what they've done to create 25 lb birds.

I'm with you up to a point. I think the chicken industry is getting better. Feeding all the people is priority #1, and I think that should include animals and meat, but we have a responsibility to be ethical about it. I love turkey. I won't give it up, but I also don't buy the biggest one I can find anymore. It's ridiculous what they've done to create 25 lb birds.

I prefer the dark meat anyway, so adding 10lbs of white meat is not my preference...plus I think the dark meat tastes better on the smaller birds. Less weight to move around yields juicier dark meat. And then there's duck...too greasy to eat daily, but a damn good meat to eat!

Back