Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

A Look Beyond The Tim Tebow Signing

turok

Personally. I found Tebow's flaunting and the NFL's exploiting of his xtian fundamentalism to be repulsive, and his popularity with like-minded football fans, and not his talent, or lack thereof, is what kept him in the NFL as long as he did.

Likewise his recent foray into pro-baseball, where he was once again treated like a can't miss studly prospect, albeit being signed for "merely" $100K. Former Tigers prospect and journeyman MLB pitcher Burke Badenhop blogged recently about Tebow, and the stark difference between the majors and minors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/10/burke-badenhop-tim-tebow-signing.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MlbTradeRumors+%28MLB+Trade+Rumors%29

http://deadspin.com/tim-tebows-baseball-career-may-be-resurrected-this-spri-1789784004

Last edited:
Is it his fault that Tebow stayed in the NFL as long as he did? Is it his fault that baseball gave him an opportunity to try and show he could play the game?

I find it so funny that people hate a guy who has beliefs and lives by them. How about the hundreds of athletes who are complete garbage, do bad things, break the law, cheat on their wives and we applaud them? But, this guy basically lives the cleanest, nicest life you'd ever see and we hate him.

I never, for the life of me will understand why people hate someone for being a good human being. As though it's his fault that leagues gave him a chance.

I don't think people hate Tebow for his beliefs, in-fact as a man he's someone kids should follow and look up to. The one thing that bothered me was he refused to try another position. Because he was an athlete he might still be in the NFL. Add in that there were stories after stories about him, his football play.. that probably soured him on others..

And now with baseball, regardless what others say, it was a publicity stunt. Still is.. Bringing him to play in ST after a dismal Arizona fall league?

I don't think people hate Tebow for his beliefs, in-fact as a man he's someone kids should follow and look up to. The one thing that bothered me was he refused to try another position. Because he was an athlete he might still be in the NFL. Add in that there were stories after stories about him, his football play.. that probably soured him on others..

What other position did anyone offer him a contract to play?

I just remember teams picking him up to be a quarterback either to get a shot as a starter or to be a back up.

As far as the story after story about him, he's kind of the Donald Trump of not very good Christian professional athletes.

He's good copy; people love him or love to hate him, but whatever, people just can't get enough of him.

Last edited:

I just remember teams picking him up to be a quarterback either to get a shot as a starter or to be a back up.

As far as the story after story about him, he's kind of the Donald Trump of not very good Christian professional athletes.

He's good copy; people love him or love to hate him, but whatever, people just can't get enough of him.

from an article on CBS.com

But Tebow has said previously that he never considered anything other than quarterback, and he reiterated that point on Thursday.
"For me it's always about pursuing what's in your heart, what you love, what you're passionate about, and I love the game of football but what I really love doing is playing the quarterback position," Tebow said during an appearance on the "Dan Patrick Show."
"I've had a lot of good opportunities to play another position but that just wasn't in my heart. It wasn't something I wanted to do. If I was going to make a change I'd rather make a change to baseball."

I read several when pre-draft/combine to after draft to after that.. This is not explicit with Denver but some teams wanted to use him as halfback, I even heard S. He was set on QB. I suspect if he was more open someone else might have signed him after Denver.. He seemed selfish in that manner..

I read several when pre-draft/combine to after draft to after that.. This is not explicit with Denver but some teams wanted to use him as halfback, I even heard S. He was set on QB. I suspect if he was more open someone else might have signed him after Denver.. He seemed selfish in that manner..

I don't know why that's selfish-everybody should be allowed to try to do what they want to do as long as it's legal and nobody should have to do anything they don't want to do, unless of course they just can't do anything else.

That said I don't know why Tebow wouldn't necessarily be any less crappy at any of the position in the NFL then he was as a quarterback.

Has any of these quarterback position changing projects ever worked? I think they tried to make Scott Frost into a defensive back but not much came of that as I recall, they moved Devon Gardner to receiver at Michigan probably To help him get into the NFL and nothing good came of that.

I guess Denard Robinson has had some modest success as a running back in the NFL, but nothing spectacular and I'm not sure he's even in the league anymore.

Plus in his senior season after he injured his arm he was moved to running back anyway.

Last edited:
I don't know why that's selfish-everybody should be allowed to try to do what they want to do as long as it's legal and nobody should have to do anything they don't want to do, unless of course they just can't do anything else.

That said I don't know why Tebow wouldn't necessarily be any less crappy at any of the position in the NFL then he was as a quarterback.

Has any of these quarterback position changing projects ever worked? I think they tried to make Scott Frost into a defensive back but not much came of that as I recall, they moved Devon Gardner to receiver at Michigan probably To help him get into the NFL and nothing good came of that.

I guess Denard Robinson has had some modest success as a running back in the NFL, but nothing spectacular and I'm not sure he's even in the league anymore.

Plus in his senior season after he injured his arm he was moved to running back anyway.

Maybe not selfish but as a halfback, it was an athlete so some teams thought he could do it. Other teams might have been more receptive to draft him if he was open to the idea. In-fact Denver would have been better if he played elsewhere.. That team was built on defense, anyone could have played QB.

Denard is still playing. Didn't play a bunch of games earlier but he's played the last 3. The previous 2 years he was solid, as a backup.

Antwaan Randle El - QB in college and was decent as a WR. Played a long time in the pro's and did fairly well.

The thing about Tebow that is so annoying is how the media is all over everything he does, the hype was ridiculous for a guy who was by all accounts a terrible QB. His fans are annoying as all hell too.

The thing about Tebow that is so annoying is how the media is all over everything he does, the hype was ridiculous for a guy who was by all accounts a terrible QB. His fans are annoying as all hell too.

Well he wasn't at terrible quarterback in college he was actually a great quarterback in college.

There's lots of great college players who just weren't able to perform in the NFL.

People on this board will remember Mike Hart of Michigan and Archie Griffin Ohio State but lots and lots and lots of great college players didn't have the skills that translated to the NFL.

What you're saying isn't annoying about Tebow; it's what is annoying about the media.

But every idea of server is responsible to filter out the horseshit of the media-and of course The media that doesn't agree necessarily with the other media.

Anquan Boldin was a QB before moving to receiver in college.

Terrelle Pryor is killing it in Cleveland. The only bright spot in their season.

Hines Ward was a QB in college.

Josh Cribbs was a QB in college.

The transition happens a lot in college before making it to the pros. It can happen in the pros but not very often.

Horrible QB? He was probably one of the best QBs to ever play college football.

Back