Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Possible new extra inning rule

where is the competitive advantage that the better hitting team didn't already have?

DET relievers are horrible with Inherited Runners/Runners On Base. Our relievers now have to pitch with someone automatically on base. That could change, but it is currently how this team is constructed. Advantage immediately goes the other team, especially if the are the home team.

Also, I hitters are notoriously bad in Close/Late situations, which this incident is. Advantage is certainly not in the Tigers interest.

Putting a runner on second with no outs essentially triples the odds of a run scoring in a given inning.

http://nesn.com/2017/02/mlb-doesnt-expect-extra-innings-rule-to-reach-majors-rob-manfred-says/

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]When Major League Baseball announced it would test in the rookie leagues a rule that will start the 10th inning with a runner on second base in order to speed up the pace of play, it was criticized pretty much immediately across the board. Now, MLB commissioner Rob Manfred is shying away from making that rule a reality anywhere else.

[/FONT]“These rules or rule changes are designed to serve a purpose in some narrow settings, and we don’t really expect that we’re ever going to apply them at the major league level, at least in the short term,” Manfred said.

Translation. They wanted to test it in Rookie ball and then possibly implement. Now that it got huge negative reaction, they are second guessing themselves.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Pace of play issues.

2014: 3:09
2004: 2:51
1994: 2:58
1984: 2:40
1974: 2:29
1964: 2:35
1954: 2:31
1950: 2:23

The issue is the time between innings, which MLB will not address. It is the commercials that drive TV revenue. If you want to decrease game time, decrease the time between innings. Plain and simple. I frequently go to AAA games and they have no issue completing a game under 2.5 hours.

Last edited:
But I'll re-iterate that it was a great idea for the tournaments my kid was involved in when he was 14 or so. Man on 2nd and 1 out. That eliminated the sac-bunt scenario.

But I'll re-iterate that it was a great idea for the tournaments my kid was involved in when he was 14 or so. Man on 2nd and 1 out. That eliminated the sac-bunt scenario.

Doesn't the one out kind of defeats the purpose of tripling the odds that a run will score?

DET relievers are horrible with Inherited Runners/Runners On Base. Our relievers now have to pitch with someone automatically on base. That could change, but it is currently how this team is constructed. Advantage immediately goes the other team, especially if the are the home team.

Also, I hitters are notoriously bad in Close/Late situations, which this incident is. Advantage is certainly not in the Tigers interest.

but that is a flaw that is just as likely to be exposed anyway. Just like your example of a better hitting team having an advantage getting to bat with a man on 2nd

I was saying that was the scenario for the tournaments in which my kids played. Not advocating it for MLB.

Actually, I'm beginning to think it might be a good change-IF it were to be put into effect after the 12th inning.

It would have an effect in what?-1% of all games maybe? 2%?

but that is a flaw that is just as likely to be exposed anyway. Just like your example of a better hitting team having an advantage getting to bat with a man on 2nd

You are injecting the flaw without cause.

Last edited:
To me it cheapens it. Like way back when the NHL had 16 of 21 teams make the playoffs or something silly like that. Then MLB added the playin game and I suspect they will add more teams in the future..

Baseball was very enjoyable in the 70's and 80's when only 2 teams from a league made it.. I never understand why they add more except for monetary reasons. But as it's been pointed out MLB popularity is dropping like a stone..

I wouldn't watch baseball if my team is out of the race and my guess is most people would agree with me. Only reason we watched the tigers last season at the end of the season is because they had a chance at the wildcard, and I do not think it is like hockey and basketball.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm beginning to think it might be a good change-IF it were to be put into effect after the 12th inning.

It would have an effect in what?-1% of all games maybe? 2%?

The same effect of having or not having a DH, which is the run differential (1-2%) last year between the AL and NL.

There is a logical reason why games do not run past 12 innings. Teams run out of relief pitchers and the likes of Don Kelly are called into service.

The percentage of games that go to extra innings tends to vary inversely with run scoring. As scoring goes up there are fewer extra-inning games; as it goes down, there are more. So in the relatively high-octane environment of the 1990s and 2000s, the percentage of extra inning games dropped to its lowest level ever (about 8.5%) over the past few years the percentage of extra inning games has been creeping back up (nearly 10% in 2013).

That said, the general trend over MLB's lifetime has been for the percentage of extra-inning games to decrease, largely because bullpens as a whole have been more effective at holding late-game leads.

you are the one who brought up some teams having an unfair advantage.

Cause and effect.

Extra innings as it is does not favor one team over another without injecting influences. For example, one team went to the bullpen after 5, where the other team's starter went 9. In that scenario, the team that went to the bullpen later has the advantage, no? And if it was Verlander that went 9 innings and the other team has stretched their bullpen, then you narrowed the gap away from the Tigers being favored to win. All because you want to shorten the game, not because you want the best team on that day to win.

As pointed out, rarely does a game go past 12 innings to begin with. We are creating conditional variances based on a small subset. Still, all other things being equal, creating these variances will clearly favor one team over the other, rather then having the game or series dictate the outcome. It is all fine for Rookie league or some other "learning" league where paychecks are not on the line.

I wouldn't watch baseball if my team is out of the race and my guess is most people would agree with me. Only reason we watched the tigers last season at the end of the season is because they had a chance at the wildcard, and I do not think it is like hockey and basketball.

The thing is since the wild card has been added less people are watching. Popularity might not be tied to that but somehow adding wild care teams have not helped people stay tuned..

What happened to when we were kids and we'd be listening to game 162 35 games out of first. Somehow MLB has to get that back. I cringed when I first saw the new CBA and that the Luxury tax was going to 210m in a few years. MLB is destroying itself.

Back