Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans

Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #1

MSU hoops ranked #2

Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Spartan23MSU; 10-28-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan23MSU View Post
Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.
I don't think we're overrated at all. we brought in a top 3 recruiting class in 2016 and everyone came back, which is pretty much unheard of. We have a ton of size and depth and one of the best coaches in the country.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #3

I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #4

Overrated? Would have been clear #1 had Marvin Bagley Jr. not reclassified to this class and chose Duke.

This is the most talented and deep Big Ten team in over a decade.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

I like the talent and depth (particularly up front), and Izzo is a great coach (although, he'd probably have had Davis for at least another year and not had so many front court problems last year if he managed talent differently). I don't really care about the ranking right now and don't see the point in trying to figure out if it's right or wrong. The one thing I don't like about the ranking is the expectations and the potential for bloated heads. If Izzo does his job and we stay healthy, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Spartanmack; 10-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.
exactly
Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #7

PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?

Last edited by gotime909; 10-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime909 View Post
PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?
My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).

Last edited by MSUMatt28; 10-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).
I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbee View Post
I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.
I could see Goins playing some 3 especially since I've seen that he apparently has extended his shooting range. But as far as getting out and guarding perimeters guys and then maybe having to handle the ball a bit more, not sure about that.

That is one thing about the roster. Possibly too many bodies up front now (if there is such a thing). On the perimeter they are ok right now, but if they were to suddenly have an injury or two there (and recent history with this program suggests that is just waiting to happen) and there could be a little bit of a problem.