Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #1
Spartan23MSU   Spartan23MSU is offline
Senior Member
 
Spartan23MSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,481
MSU hoops ranked #2

Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.



Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Spartan23MSU; 10-28-2017 at 01:07 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Sbee   Sbee is offline
Senior Member
 
Sbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan23MSU View Post
Duke is #1 and we face each other 2nd game of the year. They have our number so im not expecting much. I thought we would be top #10, #2 sounds pretty lofty. The league must be a little watered down this year. A nice surprise nonetheless.
I don't think we're overrated at all. we brought in a top 3 recruiting class in 2016 and everyone came back, which is pretty much unheard of. We have a ton of size and depth and one of the best coaches in the country.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
MSUMatt28   MSUMatt28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,273
I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
johnny2x2x   johnny2x2x is online now
Senior Member
 
johnny2x2x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,647
Overrated? Would have been clear #1 had Marvin Bagley Jr. not reclassified to this class and chose Duke.

This is the most talented and deep Big Ten team in over a decade.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
Spartanmack   Spartanmack is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: New York
Posts: 6,964
I like the talent and depth (particularly up front), and Izzo is a great coach (although, he'd probably have had Davis for at least another year and not had so many front court problems last year if he managed talent differently). I don't really care about the ranking right now and don't see the point in trying to figure out if it's right or wrong. The one thing I don't like about the ranking is the expectations and the potential for bloated heads. If Izzo does his job and we stay healthy, that shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Spartanmack; 10-23-2017 at 01:06 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #6
Spartan23MSU   Spartan23MSU is offline
Senior Member
 
Spartan23MSU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
I think top 5 sounds about right, based not just on Bridges returning and Jackson coming in, but on the other bigs coming back healthy to turn a huge weakness last year into a strength. Still the team did lose 15 games and only gain a 9 seed in the tournament so it's not like some stuff doesn't need to happen for those expectations to be met. For it to become reality, Jackson has to contribute in a big way (which as we've seen is not always a given with freshmen under Izzo). Winston needs to make the strides that people expect and fully take over the PG spot and some guys on the wing need to emerge, Langford being the most likely candidate with McQuaid also needing to find more consistency.
exactly
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #7
gotime909   gotime909 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 13,770
PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?

Last edited by gotime909; 10-24-2017 at 05:31 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
MSUMatt28   MSUMatt28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotime909 View Post
PG
Winston-25 mins
Tum-15 mins

SG
Langford-25 mins
McQuaid-15 mins

SF
Bridges-32 mins
Ahrens-8 mins

PF/C
Jackson-25 mins
Ward-25 mins
Schilling-10 mins
Carter-10 mins
Goins-10 mins

Does Tillman redshirt?
My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).

Last edited by MSUMatt28; 10-25-2017 at 11:21 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:16 PM   #9
Sbee   Sbee is offline
Senior Member
 
Sbee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSUMatt28 View Post
My guess is no because we don't know how much Carter is going to able to give them, especially early. Also as crowded as that would make the front court, it's possible that Jackson or Goins could move over and play a few minutes at the 3 (and it's quite possible in a huge lineup that Bridges could play a little 2). I also think you're overestimating the minutes Jackson and Ward will get by a few (and underestimating for Schilling).
I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
MSUMatt28   MSUMatt28 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbee View Post
I wouldn't expect much if anything out of Carter unfortunately, still not practicing at 100%. I'd be shocked if Tillman redshirts, it's just not something we do for healthy players. I might shift some of Goins minutes down and put him at the 3, maybe 8-9 minutes between him and Aherns. A lot of those guys may get minutes early on but Izzo will narrow that group, maybe vary it based on opponent. We won't be able to play 12 guys, hopefully we get down to 9 or 10.
I could see Goins playing some 3 especially since I've seen that he apparently has extended his shooting range. But as far as getting out and guarding perimeters guys and then maybe having to handle the ball a bit more, not sure about that.

That is one thing about the roster. Possibly too many bodies up front now (if there is such a thing). On the perimeter they are ok right now, but if they were to suddenly have an injury or two there (and recent history with this program suggests that is just waiting to happen) and there could be a little bit of a problem.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Top      

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.