Go Back   DetroitSportsForum > Sports > Michigan State Spartans

Old 01-05-2018, 09:42 AM   #1

Harlon Barnett hired by Florida State as DC

Big loss to the staff, he was well liked and respected and was a solid recruiter. Barnett is the whole reason we offered Josiah Scott, he lobbied hard for him.

Dantonio is a defensive backs coach at heart, he'll find a great replacement.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 AM   #2

Big pay raise coming his way. Hopefully he can perform well and become a head coach somewhere.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #3

He was a Spartan defensive back for my freshman and sophomore years and was one of our best players - really hard hitter, team captain and All American. I saw him and a group of other football players play hoops at IM west a bunch of times - actually had the misfortune of having to play against them once. They were so much bigger and more athletic, they dominated just about everyone.

If he's a great recruiter that will be a loss, but I liked him as a position coach a lot more than as a coordinator. I hope he's better than I'm giving him credit for and he's successful at FSU and wherever else he may end up.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Hopefully we don't add another co-coordinator. I've grown to really dislike that structure. If Tressel is capable, make the DC, if not demote or get rid of him and bring in 1 person to do the job.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:08 PM   #5

This is a big loss, not just as the primary recruiter for southern Ohio, but cosmetically as well. He takes a lateral move, makes us look more like a have not than a have. That being said, Jimbo Fisher left FSU for A&M. Also, give him some credit for getting MSU back to a top 10 national defense, especially after all of the offseason losses.

Staff continuity has been huge for MSU, Barnett was a big part of the culture here and the players loved him.