Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

DC Universe Online - FTP

Thumb

Anyone else tried this?

It's free to play (FTP), with some powers/content reserved for subscribers or as part of a cash purchase.

Very customizable, the choices are hero/villain obviously, and then you can choose to fly, run super fast, or use acrobatics.

Powers, weapons, costumes, body style can also be chosen from a large selection.

As far as game play so far it's more like a single player game with other people running around, as I have yet to do any of the group required stuff or pvp.

Pretty cool, keeps me interested when I find time to play, and since it's didn't cost me a dime, that's it's best feature.

Available for both PC, and as it's a Sony product, PS3 also.

http://www.dcuniverseonline.com/free/

I just discovered this last night and downloaded it to my ps3. I was going to get the Simpsons Arcade game...but this was free.

It's probably much better on PS3.

I liked it for a while, but it's obvious that it's made for PS3 and ported to PC, I don't like the hotkey limits of 6 moves, or the incredibly low currency cap fro non-subscribers, which makes stuff nearly impossible once you max level a character.

The only thing I really like is the endless combinations of character types, since you can mix power, weapon, mentor, and movement type, you end up with literally thousands of possible combinations.

I really like the opening movie. I played up to the point where you start fighting gorillas. My wife showed no interest though, so I did end up getting the Simpson, which she loved. Whole game is only a half hour though.

MI_Thumb said:
It's probably much better on PS3.

I liked it for a while, but it's obvious that it's made for PS3 and ported to PC, I don't like the hotkey limits of 6 moves, or the incredibly low currency cap fro non-subscribers, which makes stuff nearly impossible once you max level a character.

The only thing I really like is the endless combinations of character types, since you can mix power, weapon, mentor, and movement type, you end up with literally thousands of possible combinations.

I probably spent 40 minutes creating a character....that was the part I thought my wife would get into.

Red and Guilty said:
I really like the opening movie. I played up to the point where you start fighting gorillas. My wife showed no interest though, so I did end up getting the Simpson, which she loved. Whole game is only a half hour though.

If you liked that video...

[flash=350,287:1h3r3442]http://www.youtube.com/v/uJH4xxxZDwc&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:1h3r3442]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

And like I said, the game is really fun up to max level, then the free player basically has nothing to do, except roll a different character.

Here's the first video for anyone who cares to see it:

[flash=350,287:eek:7312ema]http://www.youtube.com/v/2lGTfK4PmPw&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:eek:7312ema]
</td><td valign="top">
<iframe src="http://images.proboards.com/banners/300x250_14.html" width="300" height="250" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
</td></tr></table>

MI_Thumb said:
[quote="Red and Guilty":y71iusu4]I really like the opening movie. I played up to the point where you start fighting gorillas. My wife showed no interest though, so I did end up getting the Simpson, which she loved. Whole game is only a half hour though.

If you liked that video...

[flash=350,287:y71iusu4]http://www.youtube.com/v/uJH4xxxZDwc&hl=en&fs=1[/flash:y71iusu4]

And like I said, the game is really fun up to max level, then the free player basically has nothing to do, except roll a different character.[/quote:y71iusu4]

Watching that video...for a while, the thought in my head was "meh"...but then...bam...recognition. And then I liked it. As much I love tradition, there's something very cool about a good re-invention of a character you've known since childhood. I even like the braodway musical Wicked for that reason, and read the 1st book.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]I might have to check it out since it's free.

PC or PS3?

If you do it on PC, PVE server lemme know I have a maxed out guy who can help you if you get stuck on a mission.

Didn't you just say it's probably better on a PS3?

:) :)

If I go the PC route I'll let you know.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]Didn't you just say it's probably better on a PS3?

:) :)

If I go the PC route I'll let you know.

It is probably better on PS3 and if you have a PS3 that's what I would suggest.

I don't have a PS3, so PC was the option I went with, but you can tell right away by the games UI, controls, and features, it was designed for the PS3, and ported to PC.

One big example, is you don't use the mouse to click anything except when you have menu's open, you cannot select other players, or mouse over them, in fact, you can't even tell what level someone is unless they tell you, or you group them.

Very different from most MMO's where you can reach out and touch most things with your mouse, you don't even have a cursor.

The game can be played with a joystick/controller, and I thought of plugging an Xbox 360 controller in and trying it, just never got around to it.

Either way, I have both Villain and Hero on the USPC PVE server, Hero is at max level and Villain is close.

I played it over a year ago. A few hours maybe and it seemed okay but became busy and didn't have time to play. I recently started it up again about a month ago and I'm enjoying it. I have several characters in their low 20's. Haven't decided what power I like the most but having speed like flash and flying like superman and acrobatic is cool as hell.

I tried a villain and felt weird beating up the police so mine are all heroes. It said FTP you could max out at 2-3 characters but I have 6. Bug maybe, who knows.

PS3, very fluid. It was definitely made for it.

Edit: Waiting for EQ Next.

Last edited:
I played it for a few months only, then I realized there just was nothing to do once you hit the level cap. Also limited if you stat FTP because so many areas/powers are limited by the DLC packs they want you to buy every weeks it seems like.

Like most things, it was fun in the beginning. But the endgame was seriously underdeveloped. I also had like 6 chars, so I don't know if it's a bug or not.

I played it for a few months only, then I realized there just was nothing to do once you hit the level cap. Also limited if you stat FTP because so many areas/powers are limited by the DLC packs they want you to buy every weeks it seems like.

Like most things, it was fun in the beginning. But the endgame was seriously underdeveloped. I also had like 6 chars, so I don't know if it's a bug or not.

Maybe that's why I play a bunch of characters equally because I'm afraid to get to end game. Lol.

Though most people I hear say the game starts at 30. I haven't played PVP, which I like to do, because I Q up and nothing. 3-4 hours later and still in the Q. But for a free game I've had fun.

Maybe that's why I play a bunch of characters equally because I'm afraid to get to end game. Lol.

Though most people I hear say the game starts at 30. I haven't played PVP, which I like to do, because I Q up and nothing. 3-4 hours later and still in the Q. But for a free game I've had fun.

Yeah, leveling is fun until it's so redundant you can't stand it.

I just recently went back and subscribed to SWTOR again, and the problem is I have like 8 chars, but they all feel like they just did this (non class specific quests) and then I get bored.

I just got my Agent (Sniper) to 46 and got my final companion, so I have been sticking to him mostly so when I change to one of my other characters it wont feel like I was just here yesterday like it did when I made them.

Yeah, leveling is fun until it's so redundant you can't stand it.

I just recently went back and subscribed to SWTOR again, and the problem is I have like 8 chars, but they all feel like they just did this (non class specific quests) and then I get bored.

I just got my Agent (Sniper) to 46 and got my final companion, so I have been sticking to him mostly so when I change to one of my other characters it wont feel like I was just here yesterday like it did when I made them.

When I played SWTOR, I forget which character I started with (I want to say Sith Inquisitor - Assassin), the best story line I've ever done in an MMO. End game, IMO, completely blew. I started a Bounty Hunter, maybe to 25. Then I quit.

When I played SWTOR, I forget which character I started with (I want to say Sith Inquisitor - Assassin), the best story line I've ever done in an MMO. End game, IMO, completely blew. I started a Bounty Hunter, maybe to 25. Then I quit.

You play MMO's? I as well was excited for SWTOR.... Very fun leveling VERY anti-climatic endgame.

You play MMO's? I as well was excited for SWTOR.... Very fun leveling VERY anti-climatic endgame.

I do. Last one GW2, I played maybe 3 months. Again, it was okay leveling up, not as good as SWTOR at least as storyline went, then died at end game. Killing a scripted Dragon over and over eventually gets boring.

I did try the new FFXIV, after their first colossal fk up - it's 2013 I need the NPC during the story line to have some type of voice acting. Maybe not as in-depth as SWTOR but I need more than what FFXIV gave :nod:

Currently awaiting for EQNext. These days I figure if I can get 3 months out of an MMO I'm happy. It's always the end game that screw things up for me.

Last edited:

The problem with SWTOR was they designed a pretty good game, with lots of options (class, adv. class, adv. class specialty) but where they killed themselves is how the game works. Cut-scenes.

All the while you level you have voice actors following scripts based on the choices you make. which was fine until you did most everything, then the problem because if you expand and add new quests, you have to go out and hire all those specific voice actors again. So the cost of adding new content requires that most new content be added via expansion packs which you end up paying for. Many MMO's roll out new content, patches, etc. regularly to keep players interested and give them things to do. SWTOR didn't because it couldn't afford to.

The latest thing from SWTOR is Galactic Starfighter, which is like pvp but instead of your character and skills, you fly around in little single person ships. I tried it, it's still boring as can be. And now it's gotten to the point where people don't queue often for matches so the wait is long. All those long months of development and testing, and it's already essentially useless.

The best MMO I ever played was Asheron's Call. it had no endgame. It had no real quests in an MMO leveling sense. You just kept making your character more and more powerful as you played it. Uber lewt was dropped at random by random things, not by grouping up to take down a dragon and then 15 people arguing over who should get the sword. and not by some guy who crafted it and made it a ridiculous price.

Wait...I forgot what we ere talking about....

Back